Competing In the name of Jehovah!

by Beck_Melbourne 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Inspired while posting on another thread, I was wondering, have you ever competed with other JWs to get recognition or favour?? I can remember as a kid, being in a book study group with other kids, and when it came time to give an answer that kids could cope with...all kiddie sized hands would fly up and we'd all look at each other in the hope that it was our hand that got chosen. Have you ever been there or done that?? I remember some kids would burst into tears if they didn't get chosen...and others would scowl or quickly go about looking for the next answer. Yet why weren't we allowed to play competitive sports?? I could have been an ace netball player - I'm sure of it...with my arm shooting up and down like it did at the bookstudy.

Of course the competition only got more fierce as we grew up. Have you ever walked into the kingdom hall and someone else is wearing your favourite dress, the exact same one??? What about well researched answers...so that everyone recognises you for being the scholar that you are.

Do you have any 'competition' stories from childhood onwards??? Either you competing with them...or them competing with you stories?

Beck

• Kep
    Kep

Hi Beck,
    Yeah I remember as a kid trying to get my answer.

My sister and I would compete to answer.

I used to try and make her laugh when she got picked.

Trouble was I would get caught and a clip over the ear came my way.

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Being the not-so-spiritual teenager that I was, I did not try to compete in anything scholarly.

I used to compete with all the other young sisters for the boys attention! Guess who won?

You've been a BAD boy, go to MY room

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Ps. I was not a good sport either!

• Scully
    Scully

oh, my Beck....... the memories are just FLOODING back!

We had this kind of "game" when we were growing up. Dad would read the Daily Text with us at dinner time, and to make sure we were paying attention, we were expected to be able to recite the scripture by the end of the reading. Of course, once we were able to do that, the "real" "fun" began. We would have these quizzes to see who could remember the most scriptures from the last 7 days. Guess what? there were no prizes! And we FELL FOR IT! DUHHHHHHHHHH

I had another immediate flashback to a wedding that I went to, where another sister was wearing exactly the same dress that I was wearing (only I bought mine FIRST!)

Then there was the time that I bought a fashion magazine to show a hairstyle to my mother so I could get something similar. I made the mistake of showing it to my "best friend" too. I wanted to wait to make the appointment for about a week or so because I wanted to get my hair done just before the Memorial. Well, imagine my surprise when at the very NEXT meeting, my "best friend" - who up until that point had long, straight hair that had never been cut - showed up with the hairstyle that I wanted!! Was I ever livid!! I ended up having it done anyway, figuring that I saw it first and nobody would make a big deal about it anyway, because I'd had my hair done many times in the past. Boy was I wrong! My "best friend" decided to use the opportunity to slam me for COPYING HER! Again, it was a glaring case of "my dad is an elder and I can do no wrong!" She wasn't my "best friend" anymore after that episode.

Love, Scully

UADNA-C (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-Canada)

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I used to be one of the teenagers competing for the answer on the last paragraph. It was always one of those easy ones asking what we'll be studying next week. Then if you didn't get called on, you can always tell your parents that you raised your hand but the conductor didn't call on you.

TimB

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

tyydyy

I used to be one of the teenagers competing for the answer on the last paragraph. It was always one of those easy ones asking what we'll be studying next week. Then if you didn't get called on, you can always tell your parents that you raised your hand but the conductor didn't call on you.

Your bringing back memories!! That WAS me EVERY meeting! We definitely have that in common. Im sure kids in every Kingdom Hall worldwide do the same thing.

PERSONAL WEBPAGE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html
    FREELANCE ARTWORK FOR SALE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/JasonArtwork1.html

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

There were all kinds of tricks to not have to do what I was supposed to. When it was our book study's time to clean the hall after the meeting, I would get involved in a "very important discussion" with an elder or elders wife. As long as I was talking to an elder no one would make me run that vacuum.

Tim

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

You have to smile aye...poor you kep...how's your ears?? Vi...how did u get the boys attention??? :o)

Skully....you DIDN'T??? You NEVER NEVER show another dub what you're going to wear or how you're going to do your hair...its the unspoken code. Another one...never tell them what you're going to name your baby...someone will go and steal that right from under your nose too. And I remember the mind quiz games for scriptures...I used to do that to my kids *shrink*

tyydyy...by the time I was a teen...my answers started to trail off...and I didnt have the same enthusiasm like when I was a kid. I remember putting my hand up just as the brother had already chosen someone else lol...this was good...my mother would always see my disappointment and would say 'oh well..next time'...except next time my hand would go up just as someone else was being chosen...AGAIN lol. The things we did!

Beck

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I can remember volunteering to handle the mics so no one would know that I didn't study. Sometimes I didn't even have a magazine. I would read along over someone's shoulder and then give a comment while standing there with no magazine. Boy, did I sound smart. Actually after 20 years you know all the answers by heart. LOL

Tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit