Questions for those that believe in Electricity

by OnTheWayOut 52 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    What would I do without you d4g. Can I copy your answers for the next exam?😇
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    I keep getting drawn to this thread.... it has almost a magnetic personality
  • done4good
    done4good

Can I copy your answers for the next exam?😇

Gladly, in exchange for your wit...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Viviane, magnetism is another one. Don't get me started.

Because this isn't such a serious thread, I won't be returning every comment with a response. But thank you all and I hope some who don't believe in things they don't understand may get the point.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Electricity is the flow of moving electrons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofp-OHIq6Wo

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Heaven, they say the video is slowed down to show the motion clearly.
    It ain't clear to me. So electricity is like the flow of water through a pipe or what? How does an electron flow on a light wave? Is it like surfing? Not to knock Swedish researchers. But that just puts me back at Square One.
  • blondie
  • Spectre
    Spectre

And magnets, what's up with that?

(posted before I saw anything on the second page)

Also, that phrase is the only thing I know about the Insane Clown Posse. I am not and have never been a juggalo.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So electricity is like the flow of water through a pipe or what? How does an electron flow on a light wave? Is it like surfing? Not to knock Swedish researchers. But that just puts me back at Square One.

Ok, I'll give this my best shot. Others can correct me if I am wrong.

Electricity is the force created when electrons, the negatively charged subatomic particles found in all atoms of the elements, move. On it's own, electricity, does now 'flow'. Electricity needs a conductor in order to move and it needs a generator if you want electricity to flow.

The metal elements (eg copper) are 'conductors' as they have electrons that can freely detach from their atoms and move/zip around. In order to have electricity, you need the electrons to do this. Materials such as wood, cotton, air are all substances where their electrons 'stick' with their atoms - ie where their electrons do not freely detach. These do not make good conductors. Another way it is described is that these atoms do not freely share their electrons (these materials are insulators).

Michael Faraday created a generator with coils of copper wire (the conductor) rotating between the poles of a magnet producing a steady current of electricity. A generator is simply a device that moves a magnet near a wire to create a steady flow of electrons. In simple terms, think of the magnet pushing the electrons.

If you've ever moved paper clips around with a magnet, then you've dabbled in the basic principles behind even the most complicated electric generators.

There are varying designs on Faraday's generator and the principles are still used today. Hydroelectricity created by Niagara Falls uses the force of falling water to power a turbine which turns a shaft that rotates a conductor between the shafts of a magnet causing electricity to flow.

How an electron flows on a light wave is a slightly different topic than what is electricity. I posted the vid to demonstrate the first video of an electron and that we can actually see them, ie, they aren't invisible if we have the correct apparatus to view them. I have to run but will look into the properties of how an electron can ride a light wave.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Bungibill, you must be an Aussie if 240v is the measurement??

Yes, I am.

- 240V and 50Hz

Bill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit