untitled

by Rabbit 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• carla
    carla

As a non jw I have an extremely difficult time with the no blood issue. I think when I tell people about it, they think I am being mellodramatic when I tell them that jw's and my jw would in fact have let our kids die and will/would let me die if it comes down to it. They brush it off because they think it won't happen, like we all do, we like to ignore the fact that we too could be in that accident we pass, or it is our neighbor that needed all that blood with their surgery and so forth. Or they think it is only die hard jw's that would to that when in reality it is the majority of jw's who will let their loved ones die.

What an evil cult to place the symbol of life above life itself.

If anyone is a ubm or has young kids remember to take steps to protect yourself. Get a power of attorney signed and notarized (you can write your own) let your non jw family & friends know. If your kids are school aged there are ways to make sure YOU are always called in an emergency and not the jw spouse but to do that you must be the one to go and register your kids, you must be the one to take over all the paper work related to school, etc.. it can be difficult and some may think it unethical but there are ways. I'm not suggesting the jw would not be notified in an emergency just not quite right away, after all the papers were signed allowing blood and any other life saving procedures.

Anyone who says it is not a big deal to have a jw spouse or parent has no clue as to what they are talking about. It can literally mean life or death.

• still thinking
    still thinking

There is no sense in why we make bad decisions like that. But, there is no sense in a cult that controls our lives either. Thankfully this one didn't end up with the loss of your child.

I'm so sorry for the impact it has had, and still has on your familiy. I wish there was something I could say to make that pain go away for you. But I'm just not that good with words.

(((((((((Rabbit))))))))

• jgnat
    jgnat

The WTS has a lot to answer for the way they present this issue to their people. When I try to talk about this with my husband, he surrounds himself with the pink fluffy belief that medical science will deliver him. I bring up sudden, catastrophic blood loss where only a transfusion will save him. He shrugs, he is sure Jehovah will take care of it for him. Such passivity leads to death!

I console myself that if he were in such a debilitated condition, I would say nothing about his stance on blood until AFTER he received the transfusion.

For elective surgery where he would be lucid enough to make his own choice, I'd let him make the foolish choice.

• perfect1
    perfect1

jgnat, its less about what you would say and more about medical directives and no blood cards. Check his wallet.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

What a terrible situation for a parent to be in. I understand the JW mentality but hate the cult that causes loving parents to override their love for their children and do the bidding of the Watchtower Society.

Back in the early 80s we were in a Boston congregation where a young couple was expecting their first child. The mother had placenta previa in such a way that even a c-section wouldn't have averted a huge loss of blood. She had to spend the last couple of months of her pregnancy in the hospital, and there was a big fight with the doctors and administration about the blood issue. My ex-husband and I spent a lot of time sitting with the couple in the hospital, so it's seared into my brain.

In the end, the baby was born, bleeding ensued, and the child survived after receiving a transfusion. Everyone in the congregation was devastated, including the parents. How's that for twisted cult thinking?

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Heaven
    Heaven

Rabbit, so glad your daughter made it. And yes, don't beat yourself up. At the time, you believed it to be the right thing. Now you know better and speak out about it. That takes courage to admit your were wrong and to try and warn others.

I used to be very frightened when I was a kid that if I ever needed blood I might die because my parents would refuse on my behalf. A lot of my childhood was fearful because of the WTS cult. What a way to grow up.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Wow, I did not realise this thread was still going on.

jgnat, hopefully your hubby will choose life, over darkness. Earlier this year, the Blood issue came up again...only this time it was with my new wife (who was never a JW, but did study). She has cancer and after a big surgery -- she had developed an infection and her blood count dropped to the floor. Her skin was pale and grey, she was listless and weak...she looked - exactly - like my mom did as she lay dying.

When the docs told us she would need blood and "...would she accept one...?" I had a horrible flashback...to those other times. But, My Sweet Lady instantly and vigorously says: : "Yes, of course ! Who wouldn't ??" I was overjoyed.

As this Miracle Blood worked it's magic...I saw it re-animate her. I saw a light red come into her cheeks, then, her fingers wiggled a little. After awhile she got open her eyes and smiled at me. Then, she could squeeze my fingers. I watched my mom die - then watched My Sweet Lady come back from the brink -- guess which one was the best experience ?

So,Blood has entered my life 3 times -- how about the rest of you ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit