Trying to erase the WTC from history ?

by Simon 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Last week we were in Burger King and on the wall behind us was a fantastic blank and white photo of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre.

This week, the picture has gone although all the other pictures of NY buildings are still up.

Why? Surely this is a bigger insult to people than keeping it up there?

I can understand removing images of the WTC from films where it is part of a terrorist plot but the buildings did exist and were magnificent.

What do you think?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think "trying to pretend these buildings never existed" is childish and insulting to the intelligence of the public. The memories of the WTC event are painful, but erasing a picture doesn't erase a memory, and leaving the picture up would be a noble tribute to those who loved the buildings and to the great city in which they were located.

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Francois
    Francois

I'm with Gopher. It's insulting.

Last night one of the cable channels was airing Crocodile Dundee II for the eleventh zillon time. That's the one with the overhead shot of Jack Hogan fishing with dynamite in the Hudson River. As the camera pulls back, revealing the New York skyline, there the twin towers are in all their glory.

If ever those opening scenes are redone, erasing the towers from view, I will consider that I'm being lied to. That is so dishonest.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Simon

That strikes me as a pretty strange thing to do. I wonder what their reasons were? Perhaps next time you're there, you can ask the manager about it? I'd be curious to know WHY, as leaving the picture up seems like it would serve as a memorial to those who died.

Dana

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

Hi Simon! Sept 11 was such a evil day that people are still coming to grips with it.I`m sure that their hearts were in the right place in taking the picture down,but I think what might happen is that MORE attention will be given to the pictures absence that if it was still up.I think a better solution would be to place a small plaque of some sort on the picture or nearabouts with some carefully chosen words of rememberance.Taking a picture down will not erase the pain of that day and there are some people who do not want to forget.What a terrible day that was and all because a bunch of religious radicals thought they had Gods blessing.

• LB
    LB

They were talking about this on TV just a few nights ago. It seems that most of our network programming had removed all traces of the WTC. The only reasoning was that people were really having a difficult time dealing with the events on 9/11. I even recall a couple of Seinfeld espisodes where the WTC had been edited out.

But it seems to be a temporary thing. The WTC is in the background of old shows as often as ever. Also us Americans will keep the memory alive. Pearl Harbor is still a big event here. 9/11 most likely will be this generations Pearl Harbor. I can assure you that drill instructors will be using the WTC as a motivating tool for years to come.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Simon
    Simon

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to BK to ask why it has done this.

It is a bit poignant when you see the twin towers in a film - I watched AI a while agon and the far-future had a shot of NY deep underwater with the tops of the tall buildings just visible including ... I'm sure you can guess!

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Simon,

I don't agree with that action but I do understand why they might have done it. Many businesses try to avoid any controversial things at all, especially national corporations. Perhaps a local restaurant owner would feel more comfortable doing as they thought best and make there own statement either way. But the networks and big corporations are notorious for being spineless and will not want to have to defend their own position to those who disagree. If public sentiment is strong they will cower to it.

I hope that after a while the more reasonable voices will rise above the cacophony and people will realize the value of positive memories instead of focusing on the sad memories. Removing every picture of the WTC towers from my view in an attempt to blot out the memory of their destruction along with the lives of their inhabitants is not a sound and logical decision. It would be like removing every picture of my Mom from my house in order to avoid having to remember that she died from cancer. If course, while were hurting we often have a hard time thinking correctly and it's understandable that we might act without soundness of mind. But after a while we should be able to get back to a normal and logical way of thinking. The memories will be there but we will have learned how to handle them positively and continue to move on with our life at hand. I suppose some people, like a few who have lost a dear loved one, will never recover and forever be trapped by their own mental illness coming out of this trauma. But I hope the majority will recover their soundness of mind and move on without having to resort to extreme measures to avoid the discomfort of bad memories.

Sean

• Moxy
    Moxy

this is human nature. i find the societal oppression in japan towards the survivors of hiroshima and nagasaki a similar reaction. they are treated as outcasts by a population trying to forget.

mox

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

This is only a natural grieving process that everyone is going through. First there was disbelief that this would happen then the anger stage. Right now some are in the denial stage. I agree that taking the picture down does not make that tragedy any less. People do handle grief differently. I am sure that BK had a lot of pressure from some customers to take it down and so in order not to offend for the sake of the sale of a few burgers, they caved into the pressure. Maybe you could say to them that it might be more fitting if they made some sort of a memorial to the victims out of it.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit