Powerful questions to DEBUNK the flood of Noah's day

by Black Man 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The story of the great flood was told as many other stories of the OT to enhance the power

of the god of the ancient Hebrews. One could argue extensively on the reason why would

god do such a thing, the bigger argument really comes from biological reasons and

rationalized physics . Any occurrence outside of the natural laws of psychics, moves into

a faith believing miracle state, where anything imaginable can happen.

Were the ancients compelled to lie in telling stories of their gods to create consuming

relevance, yes they did for the greater the god, the greater and more established relevance

was created toward themselves (priests, seers) who were said to be connected to these gods.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    You and others in this site write as if you could have never been indoctrinated in the JW faith. You display erudition in your comments that makes it hard to believe that you could have ever been sold such conspicuosly fallacious argumentation as that of the WTS. Could I ask you for a very brief explanation of your background?

I was totally indoctrinated. I was raised a JW and believed mostly what was taught (some things, like their teaching on the resurrection, I privately didn't accept). I believed that Armageddon was around the corner and that it would come before the 1914 generation passed away. I remember in eighth grade my mom was driving me to therapy and I was reading the blue Evolution book and my mom asked me if I agreed with what it said, and I said "Totally", I found the argumentation very convincing. At the same time I had a strong intellectual inclination. All through eighth grade I was writing a commentary on Genesis to prove it was historical. In ninth grade I did a research paper in biology class refuting evolution. In tenth grade in English, I did a paper trying to prove that the Tower of Babel story was true. In eleventh grade, I wrote a research paper in physics class (for extra credit) that tried to prove the Bible was scientifically accurate (I am embarassed to think of it, and my teacher always railed against pseudoscience). Etc. Etc. I had some doubts all along and going to college, I was exposed to a lot of new information and my critical reasoning skills matured. But it was a gradual process of undoing the years of indoctrination.

Anyway, yeah I was indoctrinated, and then I began to figure things out for myself, and now I am a big believer in promoting critical thinking, not just about the Bible and religion but about other things as well (especially pseudoscience and pseudohistory).

• shamus100
    shamus100

Bawk bawk bawk insects bawk bawk bawk centipedes bawk bawk bawk leopards bawk bawk bawk gorillas bawk bawk bawk bawk...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It is embarrassing when people tell me they believe the global flood really happened.

• jam
    jam

The best one I heard, God put them in hibernation.

Now it,s true some mammals hibernate each year for

about 6 months. An pygmy-possum can last 310 days.

But what about the smaller rodents or the larger animals.

From the time that Noah enter the ark and until he set foot

on dry land, 370 days, that,s a long time to go without food.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Awesome questions/answers and thoughts for reflection in this thread!

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Let alone that if it rained for 40 days and 40 nights.....that = 960 straight hours of rain. But the entire earth was covered (including Mt. Everest which is over 29,000 feet tall). It had to have rained 363 inches per hour (30 feet per hour) for 40 straight days in order to accomplish that feat.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Ah, but you're forgetting about the "waters from the great deep" which gushed up as geysers from vast underground reservoirs (natural springs are found in Israel). Never mind that the water leaving the caverns would need something to FORCE it out of the ground, against the crushing weight of a standing column of water above. "God Dun It!!", indeed...

PS most people don't realize that heat is released when water changes from vapor to liquid (the reverse of where you need to ADD heat to take cold water to a boil to make steam). Hence the air temperature would raise to a dry heat that would vaporize any creature breathing on the Ark.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Outsmartthesystem Thats is exactly what I mean by shear naturally conceived psychics of improbabilities.

How about where did all that water went to, to be able so that a boat could land on top a mountain on level ground.

One could go on and on .

The point one should conclude from this bible story is that the ancient Hebrews told many stories about their particular god's actions and deeds

accordingly as well as other tribal ancient civilizations, a logical Truth .

• simon17
    simon17

The best one I heard, God put them in hibernation.

Now it,s true some mammals hibernate each year for

about 6 months. An pygmy-possum can last 310 days.

But what about the smaller rodents or the larger animals.

From the time that Noah enter the ark and until he set foot

on dry land, 370 days, that,s a long time to go without food.

A lot of animals don't even have a lifespan that long!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit