IF cornered, what 2 or 3 examples of error in JW teaching would you point out?

by undercover 40 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Just curious about this. If - IF you were cornered by elders or family or even an outsider who was curious, what two or three things would you use to point out why you no longer accept "the Truthâ„¢"? (an exercise, not a factual situation)

I used to have a long laundry list of items, but I've narrowed it down to just a couple. There's no point in arguing over lots of things that aren't important to me anymore...like when Jerusalem was destroyed. Don't give a shit. The UN mess. Too messy to try to discuss. Hell, it's hard enough explaining how the WTS was involved with the UN (not a "member". my pet peeve is when ex-dubs say that the WTS was a member of the UN. Not doing anyone any favors with that one).

For me, the simpler the better. History vs teaching. History wins. Teachings/doctrines lose.

Anyhoo, my number one favorite thing is the generation of 1914. My entire life growing up, it was impressed upon me that Armageddon would occur before the old folks who were alive in 1914 passed off the scene. Welp... guess what. Didn't happen. You can spin it anyway you want, but that prophecy... yes prophecy... pointed out by the WTS as God's promise failed. Out and out failed. I was lied to. Now they try to talk about overlapping generations. Show me that from the Bible... if you're willing to accept that nonsence, I leave you to your delusions and you can leave me alone.

Another one is Jesus' ransom sacrifice. The Memorial talk cannot be given without talking about Adam and Eve falling short, condemning us all to sin. Along comes Jesus as a ranson, willing to die to buy back what Adam lost. Welp... in WTS doctrine, Adam was created 6,000 years ago. Too bad that doesn't jive with actual evidence that points to the human race living on this planet for much, much longer than that. Without A&E, there is no reason for a ransom sacrifice. It makes the Memorial useless. Even the WTS has admitted as much in their publications.

And then there's the flood. Races of people alive now were alive before the time period of the flood. Pyramids built before the time period of the flood still exist. The logistics of a simple craft surviving a year in a raging sea are impossible. The number of animals on board is impossible. The amount of storage of food/water needed on a craft that size is impossible. It takes just a few minutes of time and using clear, analytical thinking before you start to realize the problems. And the WTS teaches the flood as historical fact. I can't accept that. And if you don't accept the full range of JW teachings, then you're apostate. That simple.

Of course, that doesn't mean you're gonna convine a true believer of anything, but maybe it'll give em pause to think at some point in the future.

What about y'all? what are your favorites?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The "Creator's promise" quote from the Awake! magazine about the 1914 generation.

Either Jehovah broke his promise or the Watchtower Society put words into God's mouth falsely, which is it?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Many have observed that questions are generally better than answers in pre-digested form if we want to empower them to think and reason for themselves:

1. What is "legalism"?
    2. What is its opposite?
    3. Which one is apostasy?

The clear answer is in their own publications. If they can't find it, they are not ready.

• talesin
    talesin

I only have one atm.

The 2-witness rule, especially when dealing with child sexual abuse or rape. It applies also, to 'brothers' ripping off other 'brothers' in business (I've had personal experience with this), but is most heinous in the situation of child rape.

tal

• undercover
    undercover

talesin...

You are absolutely correct, personal experiences of faulty judicial dealings can trump any doctrinal flaw, especially when it affects you personally. If one is mistreated, or sees mistreatment, that can be all that person needs to distance themselves from a group that claims divine leadership.

Excellent point.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have a personal affinity for this one - because it was the first thing I realized was totally wrong about their teachings (back in 1970).

This is the completely bogus insertion of "Jehovah" all through the New Testament of the NWT.

They have no historical evidence, no physical evidence, no authentic scholarship - nothing.

They simply just wanted to do it because they are infatuated with this name...which name itself is really a poor translation of the Hebrew symbol.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Please show me, using only the Bible, how we can clearly know that Jesus chose the Bible Students under Rutherford in 1919".

That seems to get them running away never to return, I had many points on my original list when first asked by an M.S to give him some of my "doubts" to answer, this one was not on it, but he never answered any of the others so he never got to receive this one.

I don't actually want to discuss any of it with them unless they are prepared to be honest with me, which involves saying "I cannot answer that" etc

If they cannot answer my 1919 question, why should I be interested in their religion, which makes grand claims but has nothing, zilch, to back up those claims.

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, UC. :))

I also think the necessity of door-to-door preaching is false. There was a thread on it recently, so I won't go into details, but what was said in the 'gospel' does NOT mean knocking on people's doors. It refers to the meeting together of 'believers' in each other's homes.

This is an huge tenet of the JW dogma, and totally wrong.

tal

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

FERNANDO: What is "legalism"?

Typical JW would have NO IDEA even what you are talking about. ZERO. NADDA.

UNDERCOVER to TALESIN: You are absolutely correct, personal experiences of faulty judicial dealings can trump any doctrinal flaw, especially when it affects you personally. If one is mistreated, or sees mistreatment, that can be all that person needs to distance themselves from a group that claims divine leadership. Excellent point.

I think this is the #1 thing that sends most JWs running from the religion, but NOT until it affects them personally. If they just witness it or hear of it affecting someone else, they give the Elders and/or the Organization the benefit of the doubt. After all, "the 'facts' are confidential and thus the Elders must know more about the issue than you are being told".

But when it happens to YOU, or someone close enough to you that you DO know all the facts, and yet you see the mistreatment or the injustice or the incompetence, then and only then does one realize that THEY ARE JUST MEN. NO GOD CONNECTION AT ALL.

And if it becomes clear that such claims of Spirit Direction are untrue at the Cong level, then why would it be any different at any other higher level? That's when a JW starts poking their nose around in places that they shouldn't and finds out TTATT.

Doc

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

1) the good news has been preached to the entire Earth-fail

2) The generation of 1914-fail

3) the cut off date for the anointed 1935-epic fail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit