A lunchtime spotting of JWs on their break from door-knocking...

by Jim_TX 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Not that big of a deal, but it is kind of humorous...

My wife and I went to a local McDonald's for lunch. Yes, I know all the bad things that are in their foods... but it's difficult to find lunch places that are 'healthy' and low-cost.

Anyway, she went and sat down, and I ordered the food. As I came round the corner with the tray filled with burger, fries and the cups for our sodas, I spotted a group of four women sitting at one of the tables.

Folks... I just want to make one thing very clear. I do NOT purposely go looking for JWs. It is just a reflex action... or a poorly programmed response from almost 20 years of being a JW.

Okay. So I spot these women, and in a nano-second I have determined that they are JW women at lunch after a morning of door-knocking. All four are wearing the long dresses, ankle length, and brown colors and flowery. As I sit down, I glance at my wife and give her the 'head nod' motioning with my head towards the women sitting behind us. She looks at me, and then at the women.

We ignore them through our lunch, as we played on one of the table video games that McDonald has provided at two of their tables, free for the customers. It is actually relaxing to play during our lunch.

The women must've run out of time, and all four got up to leave. Their ages ranged from about early 20-something, to one lady who must've been as old as me... but looked older. Heck, she may have been younger, as being a JW can be hard on some folks, and can age them rather quickly.

Three of the women picked up their belongings, and their 'bags', and headed for the door. The last woman, the older one, who has probably 'pioneered' since she was a teen, reaches into her bag and brings out a metal holder that has several pamphlets in it. She pulls out one or two, and hands them out to some people sitting next to them at this table. She gives them some words (I don't know what she said... and don't really care...), and then left.

While she was giving them the pamphlet, my wife looks at me and says something like, "You better not...", under her breath.

I just grinned. Fortunately, the woman left, and didn't try to preach to everyone in the McDonald's. Since I have been a JW, I know that she was 'starting' her time early, unlike the other women who were slackers, but will probably count their time, too.

My wife also commented that I was right, they WERE JWs. Again, I just grinned.

She then asked me what I would have said if she came over to us. I said I would have kept it short and sweet, "No thank you, been there, done that, not interested."

My wife then asked me... "What was that word that you said would send them running?"

"Apostate", I replied, "makes 'em run every time."

We finished playing our game as the women headed ... well... not sure where they went. They may have called it a day, or gone back to do more door-knocking.

Again, I know it wasn't an earth-shattering experience... I didn't go off on them or anything... they are just a sad lot.

Regards,

Jim TX

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Your experience brought back old memories. I remember doing the same thing they did. A pioneer always looks for an opportunity to start their time. I never was that bold to witness within a business, I usually got the ones sitting in their car outside the establishment.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Funny how you can spot them a mile away.

In my town everyone is usually in some form of running, jogging, cycling, yoga, etc outfit. You see someone in a tie or worse yet a very outdated skirt and everyone starts sweatin' and looking for the nearest exit.

• andys
    andys

Master Card moment...............................

Lunch at McD's for 2 people $10

Seeing JW's at McD's

Telling them you are apostate, seeing them run for the exit, PRICELESS..................................................................

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    While she was giving them the pamphlet, my wife looks at me and says something like, "You better not...", under her breath.

LOL

My wife then asked me... "What was that word that you said would send them running?"
    "Apostate", I replied, "makes 'em run every time."

too funny.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

lol. That's all JWs do is take breaks, at least in my area. I swear half or more of them dont give a shit about reaching people. Its really sad, such a waste of time seriously!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    Magwitch - You see someone in a tie or worse yet a very outdated skirt and everyone starts sweatin' and looking for the nearest exit.

andys - Telling them you are apostate, seeing them run for the exit, PRICELESS..

You guys are hilarious!

• Glander
    Glander

I swear half or more of them dont give a shit about reaching people. Its really sad, such a waste of time seriously!

Yes, it would save a lot of gasoline and shoe leather if the WT would just give them Tibetan prayer wheels to keep spinning.

• sir82
    sir82

What is it with JW women & floral dresses?

I love how they can take a 75 minute break at a restaurant, but if they drop a tract off on the way out they can "keep their time going".

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its sad.

Sad that this old lady has probably given 70 or 90 hours of her life, month after month, for who knows how many years. Sad that she follows the WT method of "keeping time" and that handing off a tract as she leaves Mickey D's somehow starts the clock, and Jehovah looks down with a smile of approval.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit