Can a JW PLEASE answer my question on baptism?

by Sunspot 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

>>Sorry for the long post, but this question comes up from time to time, and I thought that maybe a more detailed discussion would prove helpful.<<

Not at ALL, Amazing!

I've been asking this same question SINCE 1985, when I was sitting in the Syracuse War Memorial during the "Baptism Talk", I was scrounging around under my seat for something I'd dropped, and I distinctly remember when the "revised" questions to the candidates was read, I sat right back up in my seat and asked myself "What was THAT all about?" because it struck me in an odd way.

I did the good JW shuffle---I shrugged it off and dismissed it, I figured I was already baptized so it didn't APPLY to ME (duh).

In the years after that, it ALWAYS made me uncomfortable when I heard those questions repeated, but I never persued an answer......until around 1989 or so, and I asked an Elder the same way I worded my post, and got such gobbledygook for an answer, I just figured it was too complicated for me to totally understand (like proving the times and times again thingy which I NEVER "got", LOL!)

From what I remember, though, a "strong" point was that the reference to the "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" was what CHRISTENDOM uses when baptizing babies, and "WE" don't want to have "ties" to "THEM", so the F&D slave, maintaining their "separateness" from Christendom, asks questions to the candidates that will IDENTIFY them exclusively as Jehovah's People, belonging to HIS progressive organization, and no other.

So there ya have it!

I could just HUG you for posting THE most comprehensive and understandable explanation that I have EVER seen! I am so grateful for your time and effort in posting what you did......long or not!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Jerome-You made some good points as well! Thank you!

Zev-Sorry I didn't get to you very quickly with your urgent need for Barf Bags!!! I was busy writing and sending email to forums, websites, newspapers, etc, on the Bryant situation out in OR. I just broke away from that to check and see the posts on my "Baptism" question! Should I send a clean-up crew out to you? <grin>

Thank you to the others who replied to my post.....

Hugs,

Annie

aka Sunspot

HOW does the Governing Body SLEEP at night?

Very nicely, I'm afraid.

• waiting
    waiting

Thanks so much, Amazing & Jerome - and I'm not sitting at anyone's feet in admiration....just appreciate good writing and information.

So, the Society lawyers and leaders had to come up with a new formula that closed this 'loop-hole' so that they could terminate the association of any JW, yet not consider them a member of the Watch Tower corporations. The term 'in association with' was the way out for them ... gave them the same rights and benefits as a General or Managing Agent has with licensed sales people: No direct legal membership, yet the legal means to terminate association.

This is the reason for their formula ... it forces the new JWs to accept the Watch Tower system of Church Government, lock, stock, and barrel. - amazing

Good information.

waiting

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I was looking for something under the "Beliefs & Doctrines" heading and came across an old post of mine. Since we have so many new ones coming here lately---I thought I'd bring this back up to the top for them to see. I sure had some really great comments to my question....they might help someone else....

hugs,

Annie

• mustang
    mustang

What about JWs baptized prior to 1985?:

• mustang
    mustang

What about JWs baptized prior to 1985?:

and what about such a one that LEFT before 1975?

That's what I did and I never RATIFIED the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE to the Organization. Therefore I conclude that I am not baptized as Jehovah' Witness, as my Baptism is roughly some sort of 'Generic Christian Baptism.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit