Jehovah's Witnesses do not get divorces

by Las Malvinas son Argentinas 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Famous last words.

This is what my mum told me when papa moved out. When it did finally happen months later, it was because he had left Jehovah. I hated him for many years and refused to speak to him. He took to the bottle and remains estranged from most of his family to this day. I took the opportunity to call him when I congratulated him on being a new grandfather last week. I apologised to him for treating him this way. He cried and expressed his sorrow at how everything transpired, but harboured no regrets for leaving the Witnesses. Though it wasn't articulated as such, we both knew who played a huge role in demonising him within the family. My relationship with him remains strained; that fact I am under no illusions regarding such. But I felt that a new door has been opened.

For that I am grateful.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Congratulations on your safe delivery, Emilie!

Does your father have a new grandson or granddaughter?

I hope you are both well.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@LMSA - I appreciate you sharing this. I am going through it right now so I can appreciate how careful I need to be to make sure that my kids know how much I love them and that no matter their mother says about me, I will not respond in kind.

• whathappened
    whathappened

When I got a divorce, my husband tried to convince our daughter that I could not possibly love her because if I did, I would never have split our family apart. This was child abuse. .. . plain and simple.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Emilie, we've had some good debates over the 'Malvinas' yes?

I'm so happy for you to hear of your new arrival and also that you have started to mend bridges with your father. I wish you lots of happiness for your future.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hey, congrats on a safe delivery! I'd been wondering how it went!

Hmm. I hope I'm not looking at my future with my kids...sounds like a sad story. But hey, at least you're making some progress there. So there is hope. This is a good chance to repair relationships with people that might have been severed due to the Borg. Wish you the best in everything.

--sd-7

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Mother and daughter are doing fine, but she's keeping me up as expected.

This Christmas I am flying into DC to see my father and my two siblings I have never met. It wont be my first Christmas as I had from time to time attended dinner and other festivities with friends. But this time is the first with any part of my blood family. It ought to be interesting.

Might as well enjoy it for now, as it is back to work in another month for me.

• smiddy
    smiddy

LMSA

Sorry , the heading through me off. I have been associated with ten congregations in my 33 years as a witness in three states of Australia and I can assure you divorces are rampant amongst jehovah`s witnesses .

I am happy to hear mother and daughter are doing fine, and I do hope you mend the relationship with your father.

I think a lot of us sons,and daughters can relate to Cat Stevens "The Cats In The Cradle " song

Take care smiddy

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Congratulations and very best wishes.

I've been married and divorced twice. My first wife of 23 years, the mother of our children (and grandmother of our grandchildren) and I are still very good and close friends. There is still a lot of love there (just not the 'living together' kind) and I am very thankful for that.

Just because two adults choose not to live together any more doesn't mean they don't care for or love their children.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have worked with troubled teens for nearly twenty years and am gobsmacked that so many miss their fathers. Many men seem to crumble when relationships fail thinking they must divorce the children as well as their spouse. At first I thought it was gutless and weak but I now believe that many men don't understand what it is to be a real man, to hold firm for the little ones, to show them that they are loved and that they are the priority in their father's lives. So much pain for all involved. Yes, I divorced but loved and continue to love my children beyond life itself. And as far as my grand children....I am a lucky man!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit