"Breaking Amish" TV show on TLC

by loading 13 Replies latest forum tech-support

Has anyone seen this show yet? It was really hard for me to watch the first episode in its entirety. I haven't yet. It's so hard to see these young people have to decide between their family/religion vs. freedom or be shunned from everything/one.

Or... maybe it's because this is my life? hmm... depressing.

They REALLY need a "Breaking JW" show. This gives me ideas... :)

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

No loading, I haven't seen it. But, your idea for a Breaking JW is a good one.

Did anyone ever call you "four eyes?"or say "you have chicken legs"? Or that "your smile is a little crooked"?

Just teasing. I'm looking at your avatar!

• ziddina
    ziddina

I haven't watched it, but have "surfed" it.

Yes, the parallels between JW life - especially for young people who are discouraged from attending college - and the cloistered Amish, are pretty clear.

I'd bet that the Watchtower boys would put a quick end to any attempt to duplicate that show using JW youths... Too bad. I'd love to see something like, "Shunned Jehovah's Witnesses!" show up on reality TV - it could be SO much more dramatic...

I've been trying to upload a new picture but Gravatar is giving me grief. AND I can't even paste it in this reply.

How would the WT stop a show like that? What can they do? Just curious.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bummer!

If it's any consolation, my new computer has had a TON of problems - still isn't working right...

Keep trying - perhaps you'll figure it out. There may be online tutorials or forums that could give you some ideas.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

ok wait a damn minute

a religion, that is so terrified of technology they won't even drive CARS, has a reality show before the jws???

next thing you know, the amish will have:

• embraced evolution
    • accepted blood transfusions (if they haven't already and i'm really starting to think they'd already be cool with it. it's LIFE)
    • will have accepted the big bang
    • would encourage their kids to attend college

all before the flippin jdubs

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "How would the WT stop a show like that? What can they do? Just curious." Loading, post #30

Lawyers, Loading...

Lots and lots of expensively-college-educated-at-the-Watchtower-Society's-expense lawyers...

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I saw the previews of the show. I can't watch it since I don't have cable. But,it seems interesting.

I also noted that some of those young people featured were adopted by the Amish. I couldn't get over how many children they adopt.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I always thought it would be interesting to have a show featuring Witnesses. But,I'm not sure how it would do in the ratings,it might be boring,unless some wife-swapping congregation was featured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit