A question for Athiests

by EndofMysteries 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik
    How can you think everything on this earth just happened?

Because it did . . . it's here to prove it. Every detail of exactly how, is not yet known. But there are many facts with which to build a basic picture.

You make the mistake of expecting Atheism to provide an answer for everything . . . only religion can do that. Atheism is not some sort of alternative faith . . . there are many unanswered questions. Atheism simply rejects religions' answers to those questions . . . hence the name.

Clear as mud?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    How can you think everything on this earth just happened?

To add to this, there are process that allow one to look back into time. For example, you question can be phrased, "Was Earth "just" created with Mount Everest?" If you follow the processes that lead to this, you would be lead to the conclusion Mt. Everest wasn't always there, even though it appears so grand and immutable. The fact is, the accumulation of millions of years of geological processes produced Mt. Everest.

If you take your time to investigate a little bit of science, especially things like geology, star formations, etc., you begin to gain a grasp on the fact that things really don't "just happen". The accumulation of time and forces of nature can lead to incredibly complex stuff.

• donny
    donny

As for me, I live as an atheist but I cannot say for sure if there is anything beyond the physical realm. What I am sure of if that if there was any kind of creator being, it definitely was not the entity that is known by names such as Jehovah, Allah and the like.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Donny - I live as an atheist but I cannot say for sure if there is anything beyond the physical realm

I have a similar mentality, but on the polar end lol. I do believe in an intelligent designer that perhaps kick started this planet we inhabit. But its hard to prove 100 percent that there is a God or not.

We are barely beginning to understand the physical realm around us, how can anyone say for sure what else is out there? I haven't been anywhere to say "There is definitely a God!", but neither can I say "I've been to the spiritual realm and there definitely nothing there! Proceed with your lives!"

I may be wrong. I understand that may very well be the case. I'm not dogmatic. It's just what I believe right now. It could change tomorrow. Or a year. Or never. Whatever.

Now if anyone wants to argue if that Creator is LOVING.......

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I am an atheist. Plenty of proof that a physical god as described by many religions simply cannot and does not exist, there is simply no room in the calculations we use in our universe (that have been so far precise from the movement of galaxies to the quantum level) to allow it.

I work in a neurological and psychological science field. Plenty of proof that the idea of a god and spiritual beings/spirituality is simply in the head and there are researchers that have proven that such thing can be turned on and off externally by either physical forces (magnetic, chemical (drugs) or electrical stimulation) or by self-triggering recalled, defunct or damaged memories.

• ziddina
    ziddina

For me, the rock-solid proof is the number - and far greater antiquity - of deities that humanity has made up.

Most mono-theists have no clue as to just how many gods and especially goddesses were worshipped LONG before the Israelites came up with their war/volcano god.

If "he" ain't the first deity worshipped, then "he" cannot be the "true" deity.

The bible is only around 3,500 years old. Which means that the Egyptian deities, the Sumerian deities, the Minoan deities, the deities of Stonehenge, the deities of Gobekli Tepe, the Tan-Tan "venus"/fertility goddess and the Berekhat Ram figurine ALL predate the 'god' of the bible.

That absolutely disproves 'his' divinity. "He's" just a Johnny-come-lately to the deity game.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

We should all just eat, drink, be merry, get married and take no note.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I educated myself upon leaving the WT, I did not ask others to do my reading for me. I was amazed when I began to understand how the evolutionary process works. I came to appreciate that the Theory of Evolution, a Theory that has stood the test of time in Science, it has been around, and therefore scrutinised and tested for 150 years or so, explains how life as we see it today came about from its beginnings.

The theory of evolution only works if there's no God. It also isn't a perfect theory by any means. An intelligent creator doesn't have to use evolution to create ever increasing complicated life forms. In fact, I find the theory of life going from simple to complicated spontaneously to be flawed. In every example of life we've witnessed, mutations have never (to my knowledge) resulted in metamorphoses to more complicated life forms.

In that ridiculous television “ mockumentary ” about mermaids ( Mermaids: The Body Found ), it was theorized that a branch of apes, instead of staying in the trees and then to caves, went to the sea. Over thousands of years, they developed webbed hands and tails that enabled them to develop in the seas rather than on land. It was an amusing theory, but the notion that an ape could metamorphose into an intelligent sea based humanoid just by hanging around the sea, swimming and fishing, is absurdly incongruous. Life just doesn’t go from simple to complicated without an intelligent creator kicking it in the pants. Design similarities can be the result of the same creator rather than an inter-species evolution, so it comes down to belief. If you’re a scientist looking for an answer that doesn’t include an intelligent creator, then yeah, evolution is definitely the way to go. I doubt you’ll find the necessary “links” showing a migration from simple to complex, but there are leaps of faith in all religions, including the religion of science, which often harbors acrimonious views of religion.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

In every example of life we've witnessed, mutations have never (to my knowledge) resulted in metamorphoses to more complicated life forms.

Then you should increase your knowledge.

Life just doesn’t go from simple to complicated without an intelligent creator kicking it in the pants.

Except when it does.

I doubt you’ll find the necessary “links” showing a migration from simple to complex

Other than the thousands of links already found... I would agree.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

All the gospels were written down anonymously AFTER the destruction of Jerusalem. Try again. I mean, seriously, name ONE prophecy in the Bible that has come true where we can prove the prophecy was written BEFORE the event. Just one.

Okay, Isaiah 52-53:

The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God. … Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Every single element of this prophecy was fulfilled in the gospels of Jesus Christ. Not only was Jesus rejected by his people, he paid for their transgressions as an offering for sin. He “made his grave with the wicked” in that he died between the two thieves; and “with the rich in his death,” being buried in the tomb of a wealthy man.

For a more modern prophecy: Isaiah 11:11-12

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Ha math, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

The first time the Jews were gathered to Jerusalem was in the days of the Babylonian conquest. But there was no “second time” that they were recovered except in 1947, when Israel was established as a nation. Since the mid-1800s, Judah has been gathered to its ancestral homelands. Zechariah said that in the last days Jerusalem would be a “burdensome stone” for all nations. In fact, he wrote: “Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

During the battle of Armageddon, this will be more profoundly appreciated. Even so, this is the first time in history when the people “round about” Jerusalem would be gathered against it. This happened in 1948 and in 1968, and both times Israel creamed those nations when many thought it would be destroyed. The Lord prophesies:

“And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon.”

Even though this is an Old Testament writing, the reference to the nations “round about” Jerusalem being Israel’s mortal enemies and that they would ultimately gather in the valley of Armageddon. Also, that they shall “look upon me whom they have pierced.” This is a clear messianic reference to Jesus being “pierced” as well as those referring to the “only son” and the “firstborn.”

These are all self-evident prophecies written well before their fulfillment. There are many other prophecies relating to the future that are equally intriging. As for the Christians fleeing to Pella, it's well documented. You can find it on the Internet. Add to that all the traditions of Christians surviving the Jerusalem assault.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit