Opening the bible at random - once spoken of approvingly, now superstitious!

by cedars 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Violia
    Violia

I have known people who did this and also who viewed the daily text like the daily horoscope. Jws are very superstitious.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

All this just confirms a topic I started a while ago. Quite frankly, it's just sad that this can repeat itself over and over again, and there is not a batting of the eye to the contrary.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

One more example.

This topic has intrigued me. I had never heard of Bibliomancy, and it surprises me a little that the Society would print encouraging experiences involving the practice if it is to be condemned. Is there any other superstitious practice that has brought such favorable results that Watchtower was moved to write about it for all to read?

At any rate, here is one more 'encouoraging experience' involving the practice,

(W 1-1-1981, pp17-18)
    19 God’s acceptance and blessing continue on this preaching work, including the important house-to-house activity of locating and helping persons. As just one indication, a minister who visits congregations in a large district accepted an invitation to accompany a Christian in Maryland on a call to conduct a Bible study. He says:

“I asked the householder what motivated her to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses. She said that often she would open the Bible at random, point her finger at a verse and read it. But she seldom could understand what she read.

“One day she was very depressed over serious family problems. Again she opened her Bible and picked out a verse. She could not understand it, and in her depression and disappointment began to cry. She prayed to God to send her someone to help her understand his Word. Just as she said that, the doorbell rang. Answering it she found a Witness, who began, ‘Would you like to understand the Bible?’ The householder pulled her inside and quickly a regular study was begun.”

What does this experience show? According to the account a couple of things stand out.

- That “God’s acceptance and blessing continue on [the] preaching work.” The positive result seems to have brought Jehovah's approval of the practice in this case.

- The angels are apparently in approval too, since when the Woman prayed to God to send someone, the Witnesses immediately rang her doorbell. I remember reading that the angels are used in directing, or carrying out, such things.

A great topic.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The inquiring person may take his problem to God in prayer. How, now, will he get his answer? By just opening the Bible after prayer to wherever it happens to open and putting his finger blindly on a text, and then taking that text to be the answer indicating God’s will for him? No; that is leaving the matter to chance, not handling God’s Word rightly; whereas Second Timothy 2:15 (NW) says: “Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright.” Well, then, should he listen for some voice to whisper from the unseen world into his ear and tell him the way to go or the choice to make? No; that would be clairaudience, a form of spiritualism. It would subject him to the deceptions of the demons, the angels of Satan the Devil. Ah, then, he is to look for some angel from heaven to appear and give him direct advice to keep him from making a mistake. Did not angels appear to faithful men of old and convey messages to them, and intervene in the lives of Christ’s disciples in the first century? So why not now?

WT 15 June 1951

• alias
    alias

constantly changing, that WTBTS. it's no wonder us born-ins are F-U!

• smiddy
    smiddy

cedars

I think this is just another example of jehovah`s witnesses speaking out of both sides of their mouth and I do beleive they are very superstitious people.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit