Opening the bible at random - once spoken of approvingly, now superstitious!

by cedars 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

The subtle distinction that you're missing is that the practice is excusable if it's "spirit-directed", but it should not be "forced" by those who intentionally practice bibliomancy. Thus the Spirit cannot be forced or "tested" per WT, but if it happens, its a sign of Holy Spirit at work.

In the Thailand example, the implication is that the Holy Spirit directed the pioneer to approach the person with that exact same scripture: that's not bibliomancy.

Its a clever explanation, really, as it gives the WT the "win" however it goes.

Hey, don't blame me for understanding what they're trying to say: I don't write the stuff, but I can see the game...

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

right on cedars. that excuse was used to snoop though my personal stuff many times. i remember trying it a couple of times. it never worked. lmao

• wasblind
    wasblind

The subtle distinction that you're missing is that the practice is excusable if it's "spirit-directed",

Its a clever explanation, really, as it gives the WT the "win" however it goes.

Hey, don't blame me for understanding what they're trying to say: I don't write the stuff, but I can see the game... _____KS

EXAMPLE OF SPIRIT DIRECTED FORTUNE TELLIN' BY WTS

" Bible chronology also pinpointed in advance the time when certain important events in the fullfillment of God's purpose would take place."_____Reasoning book page 93

" Before the last members of the generation that was alive in 1914 will have passed off the scene, all the things foretold will occur, including the "great tribulation" in which the present wicked world would end"_______Reasoning book page 97

How can the WTS claim a win wit all the misfires

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Well, you know what they always say to cover up their blunders - "The light gets brighter."

Yeah, when the light gets brighter you can see all the dirt that's been swept under the rug.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Is it just me, or does the lady in the pic have serious "man hands?" She's got thin arms and big, monstrous Mickey Mouse hands!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Wasblind, hate to break it to you, but there is no God and the entire BIBLE is full of it, a book written by clever men over 1000's of years. Vis a vis, so is the WT/GB and ALL of their prophecies: it's ALL BS...

However, that doesn't change the fact that these clever men have a biblomancy policy which covers all possible outcomes: if a randomly-selected scripture plays a role in someone coming into "the truth" (as above), the WT can claim pioneer was directed to their door by Holy Spirit, NOT biblomancy.

Maybe better example would be this:

If a JW opens their Bible randomly to seek advice on a personal crisis, and the Bible opens to a relevant passage, they think the Spirit has guided them to their answer and praise be to YHWH! However, if it opens to Numbers (i.e. some meaningless geneology), the witness wonders what went wrong, and looking to the WT article realizes they've been practicing biblomancy, which is WRONG! They were TESTING the Holy Spirit, a sin!

So the same action (opening the Bible randomly) is validated if it works, and excused if it fails. THAT'S what I meant by it's a 'no-lose proposition' for WT: they've got all the bases covered for any possible outcome.

It's a classic strategy the WT has used to shift all activities out of the realm of the observable (i.e. to Holy Spirit), making them unprovable: they did it with the invisible return of Christ in 1914, and countless other times.

It's not hypocrisy or "new light": it's them being in control of the issue, since by claiming all possibilities, THEY get to decide which it is. It's similar to how the Bible has an excuse for whenever bad things happen to good people: unforeseen circumstances befall all, or wrong-doing is being punished, etc.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Superstitious use of the bible by the WTS. has been the core marketing ploy intentionally through exploitive means since its

inception as a religious publishing house. Of course the assertion that true understanding and interpretation can only come through

the guiding holy spirit that god has provided toward their chosen organization.

As the Church lady use to say ...... " How convenient ! "

How cunningly appropriate for a publishing house to make that decisive statement,

one that that is both power cultivating and inherently corrupt.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One must remember that god didn't set up and create the Kingdom of the Watchtower publishing house, men did, corrupt

men who were decisively search for both power and wealth.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Finkelstein said:

Superstitious use of the bible by the WTS has been the core marketing ploy intentionally through exploitive means since its inception as a religious publishing house.

You gotta admit the irony is rich, with WT declaring some beliefs as "superstitious" while simultaneously demanding members to believe in "supernatural" forces. So it all boils down to those fantasies that are not WTBTS-approved are forbidden as "mere superstitions", while the approved ones MUST be accepted as dogma. You don't play along with your imagination, and you get to pack your bags....

The feelings of superiority which JWs get from these things are what psychologists refer to as "the narcissism of small differences" (eg "we believe Jesus died on a stake; YOU Worldly people believe it was a cross, tsk-tsk....").

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Is it just me, or does the lady in the pic have serious "man hands?" She's got thin arms and big, monstrous Mickey Mouse hands!

No, it's perspective caused by poor photography, close in and short focal length lens.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit