Atheist Book of Bible Stories

by crystlew123 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    The OT stories are important and special because they are a) extraordinarily good and b) because they are Jewish. -Sulla

a.) In what sense are they extraordinarily good? Surely you've read the awful parts as well?

b.) The OT stories are good because they are Jewish, and God is a Jew.... I'm not quite sure I follow.

The quality of the stories is grasped through the larger themes. Foe example: The Jewish creation myth has man being formed from God's own breath and in his own image. This is interesting because so many other stories insist that men are made from dragon blood or something. Those other stories also seem true in some way, but the Jewish approach leads us to a different place, doesn't it? - Sulla

At the end of the day, the myth is one and the same. I'm trying real hard to understand how you reconcile the myth with the reality.

The, of course, you have this preposterous claim that the eschatological figure winds up getting murdered and raised, and that this fixes everything. That's where it gets interesting.

Oh, indeed, very interesting.

My question though is, what exactly from the Bible do you consider to be concrete truth, concrete reality? I don't know what better way to ask. I can understand seeking "spirituality", "meaning in existence", connecting in some seemingly profound way with the past, etc.

What I don't understand is religion claiming to possess truth, and then having you claim that as a Catholic, you alone are reading the Bible the "right way".

In the words of Pontius Pilate, "What is truth"?

• Sulla
    Sulla

a.) In what sense are they extraordinarily good? Surely you've read the awful parts as well?

You ever read MacBeth? The Iliad? Even the ghastly parts are wonderful because they tell us the truth about ourselves. I mean, even the awful stories are amazing, for the most part.

b.) The OT stories are good because they are Jewish, and God is a Jew.... I'm not quite sure I follow.

Orthodox teaching is that Jesus is God and that, after his death, he was raised transformed, but still human. So, that makes him a Jew. Still.

At the end of the day, the myth is one and the same. I'm trying real hard to understand how you reconcile the myth with the reality.

No, no, no. Creation myths are attempts to say something about ourselves. When you have a creation myth that insists we are, you and me, ultimately the blood of dragons, that is a different understanding of humanity when measured against a myth that insists we are made by God breathing life into his own image. If we are dragon blood, the Heart of Darkness is our scripture, yeah? If we are clay that God breathed into life in his own image, well, something else.

Reality? Yeah, we are primordial soup that got struck by lightening or whatever and, you know, boom! That's great and all, but I'm not sure that tells us something more important about us than either of those creation myths. In the same way, The Iliad is more true than any history of whatever war happened during the time.

My question though is, what exactly from the Bible do you consider to be concrete truth, concrete reality? I don't know what better way to ask. I can understand seeking "spirituality", "meaning in existence", connecting in some seemingly profound way with the past, etc.

Do you mean something like: which bible stories do I take to be historically true the way we think of the term now? I think there really was a David who was a badass, who had a son who started a civil war (and who was not entirely unjustified in doing so), I think he stole a guy's wife and had him killed, that sort of thing. I think Abraham really existed and had a very hard to understand relationship with the transcendent Being; that he had a very odd experience near the oaks at Mamre; that his -- or his son's -- wife was taken by some powerful guy, etc.

What I don't understand is religion claiming to possess truth, and then having you claim that as a Catholic, you alone are reading the Bible the "right way".

Well, I think the JW / fundamentalist approach to scripture is a catastrophe for reasons that are probably the same ones you have. But, look, any reading of, say, the gospels simply must not allow itself to be amazed to find that the synoptics and John disagree on the day of the Last Supper. We Catholics put the NT together and we did it knowing very well that there are differences in the gospel acounts. I guess the fact that John and Peter (Mark) remember it differently must not be what we mean when we say both works are inspired.

Same with the OT. Jews have been reading it for a very long time now -- they know there are different traditions expressed in it. They have left them in because the importance of the Jewish scriptures is not diminished by that fact. Not to them, anyway. If you find that the presence of more than a single tradition in some of these stories makes you think less of those scriptures, well, you must not be viewing them in the same way Jews are. I guess you have that right, but that ain't the way the people who wrote / edited those works viewed them. So, yeah, you'd be doing it wrong.
  • twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Great! I read all three pages and I still have to google, 'who else killed Goliath.'

tt

• smiddy
    smiddy

twinkle toes

EL-ha'nan 2 Sam.21:19 is the one described here as killing Goliath

smiddy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Sol...what do you think the odds are that Jesus has personally spoken to anyone of the Ayoreo Indians?

I'd hazard a guess and say they haven't heard from him.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Religious texts, also known as scripture, scriptures,holy writ, or holy books, are the texts which various religious traditions consider to be sacred, or of central importance to their religious tradition. Many religions and spiritualmovements believe that their sacred texts are divinely or supernaturallyrevealed or inspired.

Key words: Consider to be... and believe...

Based on what? Tradition?

Well...we could believe because someone says they have a voice in their head that tells them what is and isn't scripture...but THAT would just be silly...and based on NOTHING but hearsay...and the word of a person who claims to hear voices.

If I was going to believe (which I'm not)...I'd be more inclined to look at the traditions of different religious beliefs. Since God doesn't speak to the general populous only a 'select' few. Maybe the fact that various religions consider texts to be sacred shows that THEY have some insight. I doubt it myself. But it is as valid as anyone that claims to hear a voice...and their flavour of what is and isn't scripture at this particular time in history.

• mP
    mP

Funny name Sulla, are you making a commentary on the real Sula of ROman fame ?

• Sulla
    Sulla

I'm celebrating the real Sulla. Amazing fellow, really.

• tec
    tec

Well...we could believe because someone says they have a voice in their head that tells them what is and isn't scripture...but THAT would just be silly...and based on NOTHING but hearsay...and the word of a person who claims to hear voices.

No, you should not believe based on my word. I mean, you could reason it for yourself, but to be honest, I think you would have to answer some of the questions posed in my post. You coul look it up yourself from OTHER scholars besides wiki. There are even a few discussions going on on jwn about what scripture consists of as well, and certainly what Paul might have considered to be scripture... some of which is in the bible, some of which never got included in the bible.

However, if you want to know the truth of what scripture actually IS, then the only one who can give you that is the One who KNOWS the truth... Christ.

If I was going to believe (which I'm not)...I'd be more inclined to look at the traditions of different religious beliefs.

That doesn't make it true though, does it? I think we agree that just because something has 'always' been done a certain way, does not give it authority. (no one lets anyone use that excuse for why you should believe) In any case, I think if you actually did the research, you might find something other than what wiki says.

Since God doesn't speak to the general populous only a 'select' few.

God can speak to anyone, but He speaks now through His Son (and Spirit). But to anyone. Not a 'select' few. Not everyone hears Him though... He was speaking to me long before I recognized or listened to Him, or even thought it was possible.

Maybe the fact that various religions consider texts to be sacred shows that THEY have some insight.

Sure, but you don't actually think they could have insight, so what does it matter what they (or I) say? Look (or better yet, ask) for yourself. But at least look for yourself.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I am struggling to understand why so much credence is given to a 3000+ year book of fables, myths and made up history about a Jewish population that never existed as portrayed in book?

What, exactly, are we learning from the book that only it can provide?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit