Looking for a new Bible translastion to read

by eyesropen323 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Ding: "NIV (New International Version) and NASB (New American Standard Bible) are both good."

Both "Evangelical."

Ding, I point that out, not as a contradiction, but as an observation. The NIV, in my opinion, is a high quality translation work. It achieves what few translators have accomplished, namely, to communicate the originals writings from another era and culture, in a meaningful way to modern readers. And the NIV Study Bible is one of the best anywhere.

• admirmitch
    admirmitch

if you have a smart phone/pad, the app "Logos" is pretty good too. I use it on the go.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I really like my Catholic Revised Standard Version Bible. With its black leather cover it looks really evil... ...and with all that Deuterocanonical stuff in it; that's just wrong- but it feels so good!

• prophecor
    prophecor

@prophecor - I'm curious why you would feel that the KJV is a superior Bible for study

Hi 323. Sorry so late in answering. I use the KJV 1611 as my base as it's as close to the original writings, being brought to the public as can be gotten. This Bible is the standard by which all others basically build upon. The flavor in the text as well using it as a gauge against all others helps to determine how other versions steer, pro or con with their teaching.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, the KJV would have to be one of the most inaccurate translations ever produced; being based on very inferior manuscripts.

• FWFranz
    FWFranz

For accuracy I prefer the NASB ( New American Standard Bible) as well as the ESV ( English Standard Version). The ESV also has a very good interlinear that I would highly recommend. I am also a fan of the NKJV ( New King James Version) Its a very well done update on the old KJV and its reads beautifully. As has been stated, no single translation is perfect, but the first two I have recommended are endorsed by many scholars as the most accurate. Websites like biblegateway are a great way to compare subtle differences in translation. I would always recomend doing that when you have a verse that deserves to be studied by a comparison. As interlinears go, I still use the Kingdom Interlinear. Its quite good when you stick to the left hand side where a direct english translation is given for the greek. It shows clearly where the Societies translators have chosen to depart from a strict reading to shore up their own theological bias.

FWFranz

P.S. Nice to see some on this forum who are still reading the good book.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I like and use the Jerusalem Bible. Also, the New International Version.

• mP
    mP

read the codexsinaticus.org the oldest complete bible available online in multiple languages including images of the MSS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit