Looking for a new Bible translastion to read

by eyesropen323 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eyesropen323
    eyesropen323

what would everyone recomend as far as what Bible translation to read instead of the JW New world translation?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Personally I would not exclude other translations in favour of one. All seem to have strengths and weaknesses. So I pray for guidance to take the good and leave the bad.

I just love the plain English, and explicit anti-religion stance of the Message bible by Eugene Peterson. If you can get a hardcopy you may really enjoy the introduction to Galatians.

This piece on apostate "legalism" (rule-making and rule-keeping) is priceless:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/msg/galatians/passage.aspx?q=galatians+3:10-22

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

With the internet, you don't have to simply use ONE translation: you can examine all translations in parallel (and can even examine the original Hebrew/Greek):

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-1.htm

• Londo111
    Londo111

For a literal rendering of the New Testement: Modern Young's Literal Translation New Testement with Psalms and Proverbs

Rotherham's Emphasized is pretty literal and accurate...but sometimes old style English is used in the dialog.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The Greek-English KIT (Kingdom Interlinear Translation) ironically by the WBTS is also very valuable in exposing NWT deception and error.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My paper bible is the English Standard Version. This one has wide margins for my notes and sketches.

I echo KS's advice to not restrict yourself to one. E-sword is a free download that also offers you to download translations that are in the public domain (Or pay for the ones you want). I like that the original hebrew/greek word is linked.

I've heard the genuine scholars of the board recommend the New Jerusalem bible as the most accurate.

• belbab
    belbab

There is a interlinear Septuagint Bible published in 1996, called the Apostolic Polyglot Bible. Translated by Charles Vanderpool. It may be online. The Septuagint was translated from the Hebrew text something like 250 years BC. The Masoretic Jewish text was changed after Jesus Christ to counter the Christian movement. This interlinear has a greek dictionary where one can compare all words translated from Hebrew text and compare the meanings with the Greek in the Greek scriptures, ie the New Testament.

I am rushed right now, I may post later for more details.

belbab

• jgnat
    jgnat

OH and I have the OliveTree App on my iPhone.

AND I have an old King James on my E-book, downloaded from Project Gutenberg. Right beside Plato's Republic.

<----- confirmed geek.

<----- also justifies my "toys" at the assemblies and conventions.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

English Standard Version - a literal translation. The study version looked very interesting. (see here).

One I've been getting around to get is "The Expanded Bible." You can take a look at it here

Another one in my library that I find interesting is "The Bible in 26 Translations." I don't know if that is still sold or not.

The New Testament in 8 translations is still available I believe. Useful for comparisons.

If you are focusing in on one book of the Bible, the NICOT, NICNT and BECGNT series of commentaries provide a translation by the author usually with numerous textual notes and comments on how other translations render a given phrase.

For an NT interlinear get "The Word Study Greek-English NT." Uses the NRSV in the side column with the USB3 Greek text and a good literal interlinear rendering. It also includes Strong's numbers above the Greek - except for the article. It has a seperate numbering system for that. It also includes a Greek concordance in the back with links to other Greek reference works. (You can see it here.)

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I am currently enjoying The NIV Study Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit