Just As In the Days of Noah

by Farkel 140 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

AC

on this covenant thing

"Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." gen 9:11
    'Earth' here means the mysterious 'land of Noah'..right!. God is saying he wont flood the land of Noah...

skip back to gen 9:1

'Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.'
    Earth here, does it mean the Land of Noah...or what?

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like it might mean a little bit more than the 'land of Noah'. Especially when you consider these latter verses:

18 The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.)
    19 These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the earth.
    What about this verse:

"Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." gen 1:22
    Does earth here mean Earth on some larger scale...or maybe just 'the land of Noah'

and this one:

"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."gen 1:28
    how about this one:

Bring out every kind of living creature that is with you--the birds, the animals, and all the creatures that move along the ground--so they can multiply on the earth and be fruitful and increase in number upon it." gen 8:17
    Does earth here mean 'the land of Noah'...or does it have a broader meaning? This one seems to have a broader meaning to me.

confused...

• aChristian
    aChristian

Gweedo,

As you have already said, you would not believe in God if Jesus Christ Himself appeared right in front of you and allowed you to examine the holes in His hands and in His side, as He allowed Thomas to do. So then, why are you so interested in understanding how every passage of scripture should be understood. After all, you believe the Bible is entirely the work of a bunch of not too bright men and nothing more. Aren't you just doing as Joseph does, trying to find what you think might be inconsistencies and contradictions in either the Bible, my understanding of the Bible or both, in order to make either the Bible, my understanding of the Bible or both look foolish?

You referred to several passages of Genesis in which the Hebrew word 'eres is used. You asked when that word should be understood to mean "the land," in the sense of a limited geographical area occupied by a particular group of people, and when it should be understood as meaning "the earth," in the sense of our entire planet. On the small chance that your questions might have been sincere, I'll answer them briefly. Of course, in doing so, I can only give you my opinion. For no one can say for certain in all cases when 'eres should be understood the first way and when it should be understood the second way. In many cases the context makes this matter absolutely clear in one way or the other. In other cases, such as in the passages you have cited, there exists some disagreement between various Bible scholars on this matter.

The fact of the matter is that Bible scholars and Bible translators are sometimes not sure when 'erers in a particular passage, such as those you cited, should be translated as "the land" and when it should be translated as "the earth." In fact, the translators of the New American Standard Bible were so confused over this issue when translating the Bible's flood account contained in Genesis chapters 6, 7 and 8, that they there translated 'eres several times as "the land" and several times as "the earth," going back and forth between the two in the story of Noah's flood. This should certainly show you that even the world's foremost Bible scholars and experts in the ancient Hebrew language cannot now answer the questions you posed to me with any degree of certainty. So, as I said, I can only give you my opinion.

You asked about Gen. 1:22, 28. I would translate 'eres in these two verses as "the earth," as in our entire planet. You asked about Gen. 8:17 and 9:1,18,19. I would translate 'eres in these four verses as "the land," as in the limited geographical area Noah and his immediate descendants lived in. I would spend more time telling you why I believe this way, but I suspect I would only be giving you more to criticize.

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Achristian

As you have already said, you would not believe in God if Jesus Christ Himself appeared right in front of you and allowed you to examine the holes in His hands and in His side, as He allowed Thomas to do.
    I said 'probably'. That line was little tongue in cheek too...in case you hadn't noticed...

So then, why are you so interested in understanding how every passage of scripture should be understood.
    Because it seems to me that your here preaching and pushing your ideas...like you always do when the flood topic comes up...trying to create as much FUZZ as possible and have the last word. I dont see why you should have a free ride.

After all, you believe the Bible is entirely the work of a bunch of not too bright men and nothing more.
    As a whole the bible is a man-made work. I can find good pieces in it, little pieces of wisdom...and I can find bad. But I would never let my life rest on it soley. That would be foolish.

Aren't you just doing as Joseph does, trying to find what you think might be inconsistencies and contradictions in either the Bible, my understanding of the Bible or both,
    Well it does seem that you are rather inconsistent in your interpretation of the bible as it pertains to the word earth. The way you view the verses above tells me that.

in order to make either the Bible, my understanding of the Bible or both look foolish?
    Well, your trying to make it look better than what it really is

You referred to several passages of Genesis in which the Hebrew word 'eres is used. You asked when that word should be understood to mean "the land," in the sense of a limited geographical area occupied by a particular group of people, and when it should be understood as meaning "the earth," in the sense of our entire planet.
    Yeah...we should strive for some kind of consistency here, shouldn't we. It seems you just pick and choose to suit your theory, because you want to believe.

On the small chance that your questions might have been sincere,
    Oh well thanks. I'm sincere in the sense that I dont like BS being dress up as anything more than that.

You asked about Gen. 1:22, 28. I would translate 'eres in these two verses as "the earth," as in our entire planet. You asked about Gen. 8:17 and 9:1,18,19. I would translate 'eres in these four verses as "the land," as in the limited geographical area Noah and his immediate descendants lived in. I would spend more time telling you why I believe this way, but I suspect I would only be giving you more to criticize.
    So basically you just pick and choose when it means Earth in some larger sense, and when it means the land of Noah. I really dont see how you can be so inconsistent. It seems your thinking goes like this: The bible is true, and God is real. A global flood is not possible. Yet the bible talks of a flood. So, this flood must have been local because the bible isn't wrong, a flood did happen. You therefore interpret earth to mean the land of Noah when it suits you...to suit your beliefs. Which is fine. Even though to most people it would make more sense to be a bit more consistent...which your not. Your intpretation is based on faith...but you often try and make it sound as if it is based on more, either for other peoples benefit, or your own. It's 'quite possible' this and that you say...as if your interpretation of earth to mean land of Noah is on an equal footing with the general consensus. Well, your view may be possible...but it is hardly on an equal footing with general view that earth above means just THAT...and not some specific land of Noah. You are a little inconsistent..just a little. I also notice you tried to fuzz the topic again when you said this:

The fact of the matter is that Bible scholars and Bible translators are sometimes not sure when 'erers in a particular passage, such as those you cited, should be translated as "the land" and when it should be translated as "the earth." In fact, the translators of the New American Standard Bible were so confused over this issue when translating the Bible's flood account contained in Genesis chapters 6, 7 and 8, that they there translated 'eres several times as "the land" and several times as "the earth," going back and forth between the two in the story of Noah's flood. This should certainly show you that even the world's foremost Bible scholars and experts in the ancient Hebrew language cannot now answer the questions you posed to me with any degree of certainty. So, as I said, I can only give you my opinion.
    Your trying to cloud the issue again and thereby make your view seem just as worthy as any other. But it aint...it's a more obscure view of things, and its based on your faith in God. Which is fine...more power to you.

Thats how I'm seeing it

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

aChristian wrote,

BALONEY! As I just clearly showed, Psalm 104: 5-9 is describing events which ALL took place at the time God "set the earth on its foundations." This passage of scripture makes no reference whatsoever to Noah's flood.
    Calm down, aChristian. Psalm 104 doesn’t mention the flood, specifically, that’s true, but neither does it mention the creation, specifically. Let me explain again, more completely this time, why I think Psalm refers to both the creation, and the flood.

I think few things in the Bible are clearer than the fact that the writers viewed the flood as a rebirth of the earth and its people, a kind of second creation. In the first creation story, God created an earth covered with water, then had the waters recede from the earth to expose the land, on which his people would multiply. Later, God was dissatisfied with what the earth and its people had become, so he essentially created anew the earth. He once again returned the earth to state in which it had existed before--a world completely covered with water.

He removed the waters, saving only Noah and his family, from whom a new civilization would come. Noah and his family were to be the ones from whom civilization would spring, just as God had intended for Adam and Eve.

This parallel between these two creations could not have escaped the attention of the Psalm writer, so when he wrote his Psalm passage, he seems to have blended together the two creation stories, taking elements of the first, such as “setting the earth on its foundations,” and elements of the second, such as water “above the mountains,” and the promise never to cover the earth again with water, to create his Psalm verses.

Let’s look closely at the parallels between flood story’s description of the mountains, and compare it to the Psalm description:

Mountains Covered with Water

From the flood story we have

“They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered” (Genesis 7:19)
    and from the Psalm verse we have the parallel description:

“..the waters stood above the mountains.” (Psalm 104:6)
    There is no similar description in the creation story.

This doesn’t mean, of course, that the Psalm writer did not have the creation story in mind when he created Psalm 104; it is obvious that he did, but he seems also to have had the flood story in mind, too. If not, then where in the creation story did he learn about mountains? There’s no mention of mountains. Where did he learn about mountains covered with water, if not from the flood story?

Can you show, aChristian, where one can find “mountains” in the creation story?

Can you further find a description of them being covered with water?

If so, then I will admit my argument is weaker than I’m claiming; if not, then we should accept the simpler explanation, which is that the Psalm author blended information from both the creation and the flood stories to create his description of the mountains covered with water.

Promise Never to Flood Again

The other parallel between Psalm 104 and the flood story which exists, and which does not exist between Psalm 104 and the creation story, is the one which describes waters which are never again to cover the earth.

From the flood story we have

...never again will they [the waters] cover the earth.” (Psalm 104:9)
    and from the Psalm verse we have the parallel description:

Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. (Genesis 9:15b)
    There is no similar declaration in the creation story.

Can you show, aChristian, where one can find in the creation story a declaration that the waters would never again cover the earth?

If not, then we should accept as sensible that the Psalm writer also had in mind the flood story, and God’s promise never again to flood the earth, when he wrote Psalm 104.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Gweedo wrote,

The bible is true, and God is real. A global flood is not possible. Yet the bible talks of a flood. So, this flood must have been local because the bible isn't wrong, a flood did happen. You therefore interpret earth to mean the land of Noah when it suits you...to suit your beliefs.
    Gweedo, you seem to understand the fundamentalist mind perfectly. Their starting point in all Biblical interpretation is that the Bible can't be wrong, no matter what evidence is presented which shows otherwise. Thus, they have to twist the meanings of words to fit their preconceived notion that the Bible is never wrong. They must do this countless times to defend innumerable biblical inconsistencies, but that does not bother them; even if there is one chance in a billion that their interpretation is the correct one, that is a sufficiently great probability for them to continue deluding themselves.

Your description of what is in the mind of aChristian seems to be one-hundred percent accurate, in my opinion.

Joseph F. Alward

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

I present here more evidence that the Bible writers thought the flood was global. First, I will show the relevant verse:

8 Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. 9 But the dove could find no place to set its feet because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. 10 He waited SEVEN more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. 11 When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth. (Genesis 8:8-11)
    According to aChristian, the flood was local. Well, if that's true that Noah must have known it was local, too. But, that seems not to be possible, for Noah sent a dove to see if the waters had receded from the land. As proof that the waters had receded, Noah would receive an olive leaf.

But, what would that prove? Noah--according to the local flood theory--would have known the flood was local, and that therefore there was unflooded land just outside the flooded "land of Noah," wouldn't he? Thus, receiving the olive leaf would prove nothing if the flood was local. If the dove returned with a leaf, why wouldn't Noah just assume that the dove had flown outside the boundaries of the "land of Noah," if it were really true that Noah--and the Genesis writer--thought the flood was local? aChristian doesn't imagine that the dove knew it was only supposed to fly to the boundaries of the "land of Noah," does he?

The local flood theory is obviously ridiculous here; the only way plausible way to reconcile this problem without one having to invent implausible how-it-could-have-been scenarios, and twist the meanings of words, is with a global flood.

Joseph F. Alward

http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• aChristian
    aChristian

Joseph,

The creation story in Gen. 1:1,2,9,10 clearly tells us that "in the beginning" the earth was completely covered with water and that God then caused "dry ground" to rise from that global ocean and the "waters" to drain from earth's newly rising land masses into "seas." Scientists tell us that mountains were born at that time. But you say that since the creation story does not specifically mention the word "mountains," but only describes land masses rising from a global ocean, that the writer of Psalms 104:5-9 must have been blending together the creation story and the flood story which does mention mountains.

This is an assumption that is in total conflict with the context of Ps. 104:5 and 6. For verse 5 tells us when the events in verses 6-9 took place. It tells us they all took place at the time God "set the earth on its foundations." This was obviously "In the beginning." (Gen. 1:1)

Thus we can only understand, as all Bible commentaries tell us, that Ps. 104:6-9 refers to events described in the first chapter of Genesis, not to events described in the 6th, 7th and 8th chapters of Genesis. I believe that your assumption here is a very poor one. For you admit that the Psalmist had Genesis 1 in mind when he wrote Ps. 104:5-9, which refers to the earth originally being covered with water, and to the original formation of earth's land masses. You also admit that scientists now tell us that mountains were formed at the time the waters of earth's global ocean first began to recede from its newly forming continents. Yet you say that, even though the writer of Genesis somehow understood this part of the history of ancient earth, the writer of Ps. 104:5-9 could not have understood any additional details about those same events, such as the fact that God made the mountains at the same time He made the rest of earth's land masses. A Bible reader who flips a few chapters back and reads Ps. 90:1,2 will probably disagree with you. For there the Psalmist clearly connects the time when "the mountains were born" with the time God "brought forth the earth and the world."

Your make a similar assumption concerning the words of Ps. 104:9 which refers to waters which will "never again" "cover the earth." You say the Psalmist must have had the waters of Noah's flood in mind, because similar words are used in the Genesis flood account but not in the Genesis creation account. But in making this assumption you miss the connection between Ps. 104:5 and 104:9. In 104:5 the Psalmist had already said that the way God had made the earth to begin with would stand forever. This then, in his mind, must have included God's removing earth's global sea from it's land masses when He formed continents and mountains. The Psalmist was in this passage, as all Bible commentaries tell us, referring back to Gen.1:1,2,9,10. There we are told how God cleared the land of water to form our continents. And since the Psalmist tells us in verse 5 that the way God made things in the beginning would remain forever, he is able to assure us in verse 9 that God would never allow the land masses He had cleared of water to again be covered with water.

The passage of scripture you use to prove that the Bible teaches that a global flood occurred actually says that God would have never allowed such a thing to happen!

The assumptions you made to connect Ps. 104:5-9 with the Genesis flood and to disconnect it from the creation story contained in Gen. 1 were extremely tenuous. If I had made the same kind of assumptions to support one of my arguments you would have jumped all over me.

Joseph, I get the idea that you enjoy debating. I don't. Though I am always willing to defend God and His word against serious challenges. But I don't see any here. I have taken everything you have thrown at me on this subject. And it doesn't appear you have anything left. That being the case, I'm going to bow out of this discussion for a while and find something more productive to do. Maybe you can bait Faithful into getting back into it.

Gweedo,

I think your take on things is fair and understandable. As I've said before, I think your heart is in the right place. Thanks for a good discussion.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward
    I have taken everything you have thrown at me on this subject. And it doesn't appear you have anything left. That being the case, I'm going to bow out of this discussion

Hogwash. Everyone knows that if you could forcefully defend your theory of the local flood, and could make the skeptics look silly, you would jump at the opportunity. You’re leaving the debate because you’re afraid to face the skeptics' evidence.

Furthermore, how do you know I have nothing left? You haven’t shown how you can dismiss my argument about the dove. And, I have many more contradictions to show you; I’m just feeding them to you one at a time.

Also, why do you not wish to respond to the article about the Babylonian myth being the basis for the Genesis flood story? You've yet to say a word about this, and I suspect it’s because you don’t know how to defeat it.

Why do you not try to explain why not one single Bible writer informs the reader that the ark was mainly empty because the sinners God had hoped would show up at the ark never showed up? Don’t you think this part of the “puzzle” should have been provided to the reader for free, rather than have him guess that this is what was on God’s mind--if it really was?

Why does not a single Bible writer tell the readers that even though the plain reading of the Bible implies a global flood, it in fact was just a local one--if it really was?

You've never explained why “all life” in the verse below doesn’t refer to all life under the heavens, but just all life under that patch of the heavens above that patch of land known as the “land of Noah.”

I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens (Genesis 6:17)
    Do you really believe that the Bible writer wanted us to know that “the heavens” above is just that part of the heavens above the land of Noah? If so, then why in the world didn’t he explain that to the reader? Don’t you think most intelligent readers would attach to these words their plainest, and most direct meanings, and assume that the writer was talking about ALL of the heavens, not just part of them?

If you believe that the writers were writing under the guidance of God--that they were inspired to write the Word of God, then why wasn’t the God smart enough to know that his writers described what most people would think is a global flood?

The list of hard questions you have avoided--or tried to obscure with smoke screens--is very long. You fool nobody by claiming that you taken everything I’ve thrown at you. You’re running away because you cannot answer the hard questions. Prove me wrong, and begin by explaining away the dove problem, if you can.

Joseph F. Alward

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Since this thread has slipped far below the radar, I am taking the local flood theory argument back to the forum in a different thread.

Joseph F. Alward

• aChristian
    aChristian

Joseph,

I have made it a policy to never enter a thread which you start for the sole purpose of bashing the Bible. So any further conversations we have on this subject will have to take place in this thread which was started by a man I have long respected. Besides, I would rather give new readers the opportunity to read the various aspects of this subject matter which we have already discussed. I have the feeling that you would not, because you have in my opinion, and that of others who have weighed in on the progress of our debate, not fared well in it so far.

You wrote: You’re running away because you cannot answer the hard questions. Prove me wrong, and begin by explaining away the dove problem, if you can. ... According to aChristian, the flood was local. Well, if that's true then Noah must have known it was local, too. But, that seems not to be possible, for Noah sent a dove to see if the waters had receded from the land. As proof that the waters had receded, Noah would receive an olive leaf. ... But, what would that prove? Noah--according to the local flood theory--would have known the flood was local, and that therefore there was unflooded land just outside the flooded "land of Noah," wouldn't he? Thus, receiving the olive leaf would prove nothing if the flood was local. If the dove returned with a leaf, why wouldn't Noah just assume that the dove had flown outside the boundaries of the "land of Noah," if it were really true that Noah--and the Genesis writer--thought the flood was local? aChristian doesn't imagine that the dove knew it was only supposed to fly to the boundaries of the "land of Noah," does he?

There are a few possible answers to your questions. I'll offer a couple which I consider to be quite likely.

One is that Noah did not know that the flood was local. Most advocates of a local Noah's flood believe that it was a very large flood which flooded most of Mesopotamia. The ark may have been surrounded by water which stretched 50 miles or more in all directions. Much farther than Noah could see from the top of the ark, giving Noah the idea that the entire earth, if he even understood the concept of "the entire earth," had been flooded.

The next possibility is that Noah did not believe that the flood covered the entire planet but believed the flood was a very large one, covering too much ground for a dove to fly nonstop to the flood's original extremity. With this thought in mind, Noah sent out the dove. For Noah then would have believed that if the dove returned, that would mean that the flood waters had not yet receded far enough for the dove to find a landing place within its flight range. And Noah then would have believed that if the dove returned with some vegetation from a previously submerged tree top, that would mean that the flood waters had receded enough to expose the tops of some trees within the doves flight range, but not enough to provide the dove with a comfortable landing place away from the ark within its flight range. And Noah would have believed that if the dove did not return at all, that would mean that the flood waters had receded far enough for the dove to have found a new home within its flight range.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit