Quoting out of context - ever justified?

by cognisonance 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I searched online for a reference of Reverend Liesalot for a couple of minutes before I realized that "Liesalot" is not an actual name but simply was a descriptive joke for "lies a lot". Very funny. However, while I think that the WT probably learns of many quotes of scientists by reading 'creation scientist' (and intelligent design) literature, I think that the WT follows up on the matter by going to the source of each of the quotes for confirmation.

For example, since the JWs/WT refused to send to me a bibliography for science sources in the Creator book, I asked a friend of mine (who never was a JW) to write to the JWs/WT for me, asking for the bibliography. Ultimately they sent to him the sources for 5 of the quotes (the ones I told my friend that I especially wanted). They did so not by sending citations, but by sending photocopies of the entire page (plus the title page and the copyright page) of each of the five quotes (from the scientific publications, not from creationist literature) - with the quoted words highlighted with a marker. My friend then forwarded those to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit