How to talk to an Elder (Need help ASAP)

by okage 35 Replies latest jw friends

• okage
    okage

i never was a jehovahs witness. its been stated. so if i went up to a local congregation and knocked on the door how would i get to talk to an elder about my mother in law...

i have no interest in being a witness. she is disfellowshipped for the last four years. but she is trying to get me evicted for nothing. i am not a witness so i am never good enough for her daughter. this is what she told me. i pay my way but she keeps insulting me. she insults her daughter and has gone back on a half dozen financial arrangements with my wife in the last three weeks.

her son and other daughter stand by her even though they are in good standing with the congregation. i have said maybe three sentences to the siblings and a single conversation with the mother in five years. so if i am going out i will be taking them down with me.

i have pictures of a party held at my sister in laws house. she and a few other witnesses are shown clearly associating with the disfellowshipped mother. i also want to invite them to the house to see the dream catcher in the window of the mothers room as well as the altar to a saint in her closet.

i am aware of the snitches in ditches mentality of many of you so if i can please get some assistance in the matter itd be appreciated.

essentially i just want to know how to contact an elder or arrange a meeting with an elder.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If MIL is DF'd already, not much will happen if you show evidence of dream catcher etc.

I don't know if pics of family associating with DF'd family members will do much either. You are a dishonest worldly person with a grudge---look what we've done to the Sparlock video---they could just claim the pics are doctored. And even if they didn't go that route---necessary business. Two witnesses. blah, blah, blah.

But you can just call the kingdom hall during meeting hours and ask to speak to an elder. You could probably arrange to meet with them----but they will see you as a possible convert, so prepare. You don't really want to go to a meeting to pick out the elders----that's just brutal. So look at their sign and get their meeting hours. Try calling 10 minutes before or directly after. They do answer during meetings too---any excuse to take a break from the meeting.

• okage
    okage

thank you nc. i am prepared for them to see me as a shady worldly monster. my hope for the altar and dreamcatcher is that it will show she is currently unrepentant and practicing pagan rituals and that her kids in good standing who dont live with her are associating with the watchtowers fictitious antichrist.

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

I actually doubt they will even take the time to discuss the matter with you. If she is already DF'd she has cut all ties to them and they have no interest in her. The picture you have of (I think) your sister in law and various un named wittnesses at a party... they are taking a softer and softer stand on the shunning thing. they still suggest it and practice it in the kingdom halls but they dont want it to be obvious in a social situation, that would be a bad wittness.

• Fernando
    Fernando

It does not sound as if MIL has any prospects of improving at this stage in her life. However the further away she stays from religion/ists the better her chances.

Authentic and organic (natural) spirituality can however make a world of difference - if not for her, then at least for you and your partner...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

What are you trying to achieve by speaking to her elders?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I wouldn't be too hopeful that an Elder would be any more sane than your MIL, especially when you are a non-JW yourself, but I would suggest you just ring the number in your local phone book, or use their website. http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/contact/

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I think you should start finding away to pay the rent instead of relying on your Mother-in-law. Otherwise your wife is going to find someone else and your MIL will have been right about you. On the bright side, you won't have to worry about how to talk to the elders anymore.

P.S. They won't give a rat's ass about them associating with their disfellowshipped Mom. JW's are allowed to keep in contact with DF'd close family if they choose to do so. The fact that some do not is usually an execuse because they are resent that person is having fun in the "world".

• Fernando
    Fernando

Making a list of your immediate and long term objectives might help clarify a way forward...

• eazy
    eazy

If I remember correctly the "official" stated policy about DF'd ones was that direct family could associate with them, espescially if they lived under the same roof, provided they didn't discuss spiritual matters. But like most things with the org, I'm sure this has probably changed over the years.

I would guess your evidence of so-called wrongdoing probably won't make any difference in the situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit