King David an example in morality?

by hoser 17 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

It's good to be the king!

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Everyone around him had to pay for David's sins, usually by their death.

This caused me to recall the census that David ordered and the 70,000 people who died as a result.

Then there's the account of David commanding Uzzah to procure the Ark and bring it back to Jerusalem, and we know the rest of that story.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The cope out that jws give about David is that Jehovah read his heart and knew he was repentant. But that is not the case today, though Jehovah and Jesus is said to be guiding the elders. I think this is all bull. King David was not a fine example of upholding morality. He was king and nobody was going to enforce Jehovah's law on him.

• Glander
    Glander

When bathsheba got knocked up D called her husband home to cover the pregnancy. Only the husband felt a duty not to enjoy his wife while his men were in danger. That's when David, said the hell with it and sent him into the front of a deadly battle.

• JustMeNonJDub
    JustMeNonJDub

Hoser, would love to see the whole quotation, and not something that appears to be cherry picked.

That said, one of the best things that I have learned since joining a reformed church after over 20 years in an Arminian Pentecostal church and 20 years as a JW, is that no one in the Old Testament is a good moral example. Abraham was a liar, Jacob was a con artist, Joseph was a whiny mama's boy, Moses had a temper. I can go on and on. Then Jesus comes along and says that it is sinful to not only do the acts, but think about a woman lustfully is the same as sleeping with her, and to get angry at another without justification is the same as murder. Talk about raising the bar!

The only hero in the Bible is Jesus because he fulfilled the law perfectly, and that fulfillment is transfered on those that put their trust in Him.

• VM44
    VM44

Was Bathsheba a victim, or was she a calculating woman?

Wasn't she NOT mentioned by name in Jesus' lineage?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I often tell Bible people that King David is my role model.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    who writes this stuff?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit