Hooray- I have a pickup truck again!!

by moshe 16 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I went for 2-1/2 years without a truck- my wife told I would never survive without a truck-- I think she is a smart cookie- It was so hard going to garage sales with a small hatchback and not being able to buy that moosehead for my man-cave.

Anyway- this is a former Comcast cable TV truck- it was repainted and from the looks of the interior, it looks like a supervisor drove it carefully for 237,000 miles - which is a record for me - I got it for $2200- a 2001 Ford F-150. It had an old leaky transmission- which I have just had replaced with a rebuilt one for $950- I am getting 18-19mpg, so I think that V6 will last me for a long time- retirees don't put a lot of miles on their rides-- - and no rust- anywhere!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

It looks good!

• moshe
    moshe

I installed a trailer brake and plug this weekend- I am looking for a small RV camper next- mainly one that has spent 15 years sitting out of the sun and weather in an Ohio or Indiana farmer's machine shed. Older RV's for sale in Florida are usually in bad shape, unless they have been stored under a roof.

• St George of England
    St George of England

What a mileage!

The last car I bought had nearly 50,000 miles on the clock (2003) and the first thing my wife asked is why I bought something with such a high mileage. I only do a couple of thousand miles a year anyway, I average about 40 mpg. With fuel costs in the UK 18-19 mpg is not an option.

George

• irondork
    irondork

Good looking truck, Mr. Moshe. I don't know what I would do without mine either.

• moshe
    moshe

The owner of the transmission shop said his nephew had a truck just like mine- same engine and transmission, with almost 350,000 miles and he has not needed any major engine or transmission repairs. Today's oils are so much better than the oil I grew up with- cars back in the 50's & 60's usually needed a ring and valve job sometime after 60,000 miles. - and they rusted out faster, too.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Way to go Moshe. Nice truck. Hubby & I are planning to get a pick-up in the spring. We'll be looking for used as well. They are certainly handy. (Your wife is definitely a smart cookie) Leslie

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Wow! I wouldn't dare to drive a vehicle with that high mileage, but you sound like a competent mechanic. Congrats!

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Glander
    Glander

The Ford F150 line has a reputation for rugged longevity. That mileage for such a versatile vehicle is not bad.

I have a 2006 Town Car V-8 that gets 20-23 mpg hwy. But I can't haul stuff of any size. When I need building materials a have to borrow a PU from a friend.

St. George - In what kind of a little beer can on wheels do you get such mileage?

• finally awake
    finally awake

we have a 93 F350. it's a monster and gets 12 miles per gallon at best, but it sure is handy when we need a truck. i would hate to be a truckless family :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit