At what age do people 'wake up'?

by Splash 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

Hi Perfect1, thanks for taking time out to show concern - that wasn't a blast at all!

For points 1 and 2 I can't help thinking that there IS someone who WILL do something. I dunno if it will be in my life time though. Let's put this down to having a 'deep inculcation' (sounds so much more noble than 'indoctrination' hey )

Your comparison to Shakespeare was appreciated. I have read many of his works and enjoy them immensely - with some guidance notes to explain what the heck he's on about! I think that was your point.

Actually I love the Bible, I find it fascinating. If the Thu meeting was nothing but reading the Bible I'd be very happy with that. Also, many times I've mused over how I'd like a Jewish friend - an active, synagogue going, history loving Jew who I could learn from.

My curiosity runs deep and has lead me this far. I don't intend to stop just yet.

• Splash
    Splash

Hi J. Hofer:

Mark 10:21 - "Go, sell what things you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower."

I read this in context, from many translations. All I can say is that this was a specific command to one wealthy individual, not a burdensome command to all. What was it about this man that Jesus said this to him, was money his God? I don't know.

At the same time Jesus said his load was light. To come to him for refreshment, especially if you are loaded down.

This is another reason I see a disparity between Jesus teachings and the Soc's teachings which caused me to wake up a little more. Not only are the WT doctrines difficult and harsh, noone is ever able to do enough, and the elders often heap additional local laws on the poor sheep too.

It's not always the case, some elders know what it means to be loving and kind. unfortunately these rare ones are seized upon in the congregations and soon worn out.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

St George! One of the greatest stories I here from here is people leaving later in life. It takes great courage to look at your life and admit you were lied to. I take my hat off to you! I wish you many years of a happy life. Sometimes I think when you leave as an adult you charish it more. That could just be my obervations.

FS

• SophieG
    SophieG

double post see below

• SophieG
    SophieG

I think I started to wake up in my late 30s…took me 7 years to realize I did not want to live like that anymore and I was gradually feeling more at peace and happier about life.

But I have to admit, I NEVER thought I would leave!!!!

Oddly enough, my life is no different except that I am not a JW anymore. I am not dragging myself through the motions of the Truth. I don’t miss it.

edit: Now that I think of it, when I left in my late teens, it was for the same reason I am leaving now: I want to LIVE!
    As many young people then, was I felt like the org too restrictive…and I am not referring to the immorality issue, because that was the furthest thing from my mind. I wanted to EXPERIENCE LIFE!

So I guess I woke up TWICE????

• Splash
    Splash

Sophie, You must've hit 'snooze'

• SophieG
    SophieG

Splash: Sophie, You must've hit 'snooze'

I was not ready to "wake up"???

I need to analyze this a bit more :)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Approaching 40 when I decided to do the research and "make sure of all things".

I was working in the ministry with a young elder I knew well several years earlier and in that conversation I said "I dont want to get to 60 and then find out it's just another cult".

I cant remember how that came up, but my saying that clearly stuck with me as it was a real and valid inner feeling at the time, and I gave voice to it. So, approaching 40 I decided it would be far better to do the leg work then and make sure it wasn't a cult rather than wait until 60 and then discover the fact that it was exactly that... just another cult.

Yep, that research paid off and I did a slow fade out and have never been happier.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was fifty ! but then, I must have been a late developer

Actually, as we said at the earlier posts, I am sure that is usually events rather than age that trigger the awakening

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I think I started to wake up a few years ago, when my mom was DFed. I was 22. It kind of shook me up, made me realize it wasnt such a "spiritual paradise" after all. I decided to start researching, very slowly at first. And only from the WTlib disk. At the time, just seeing the words "Jehovah's Witnesses" on an Internet browser was enough to get the guilt/fear machine running. If that isn't phobia indoctrination, I don't know what is.

If nothing else, I allowed myself to acknowledge the contradictions, problems with doctrines, and problems with people in the cong. Once that list reached a point where I HAD to know the TRUTH, I went searching on the Internet for answers. I still couldn't read a WT article without the hypnotic feeling.

I automatically denied most of the points I found from apostates, but once I learned the truth about 607 and the WT dishonesty in presenting "evidence", it all came crashing down. REALLY hard. That was in Jan. of this year, just before I turned 25.

Looking from inside the Borg, I don't see people waking up at all. The WT has stepped up the mind control, and it seems to be working. Sad, but true. I see it in my own wife. Fear and guilt just builds and builds. I hope it will lead to a breaking point for some, but sadly, for many it won't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit