I Need Attorney Who Understands JW Mindset in FL

by CrimsonBleu 25 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I will repeat though that someone who is the legal POA cannot just hand it over to someone legally without the original POA being revoked and a new one drafted or a guandianship established. It sounds like this is what happened. Until the old one is revoked, it is still legally valid. And that is how banks and other financial institutions will view it.

A lawyer is not mandatory but can be helpful if you choose one with skills and knowledge in the POA/guardianship area. Many firms set aside a percentage of their cases to do pro bono (without cost). Many firms will meet with someone once without costs as well. Check with the Florida Bar, they maintain lists of lawyers, and the areas the are competent in.

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/flabarwe.nsf

I don't think this requires anyone knowledgable about jw doctrine/policy but rather about the real issue seeing that your mother is taken care of by people with her best interests.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Some very good advice here and I am so grateful! I must clear somehting up though as it seems it got missed and only a few noticed:

I have DPOA. (Duarble Power of Attorney....and it is like Guardianship in FL except Guardianship is determined by courts; mom signed for me since she ahs been living here since April of 2010 and I am her sole caretaker.

I saw into Moms bank accounts for the first time in July . Now sis had told mom and I she was seting some funds aside for emergencies and such, and we had no trouble withh that. Now, since I am POA, she refuses to relinguish those funds which are Moms. Medicaid ruling was based on moms assets and I really don't care if sis gets in trouble for fraud. But I am not keeping secrets! Sis wants to keep that money and is demandning 500.00 a month more to keep going into savings. I am clsoing Moms account. I still need advice on the Medicaid problem sis caused. And the money needs to be returned to Mom. She took it with good intention and now justifies keeping it by stating (a) I will blow it and (b) she wants what is left after moms funeral to divy up among us siblings. Truth is, she is a their. She needs to be stopped.

Her behavior lately is so off the wall! I do not know her any more and I do not want to. She will not step foot in my peaceful home again.

She is a horrible reflection on Christian behavior. She needs help.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Oh, this just got uglier. I'm sorry... I really misunderstood some of the details.

Did "sis" fill out the paperwork for Mom to receive Medicaid?

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Yes. She did. They called me in the middle of their investigation and I told them I had just recently taken everything over and to call my sister. They did, and they got whatever answers she provided that did in fact qualify Mom for Meeicaid.

Mom is still qualified as far as they know, but I must unravel this, even if it means that money stash gets paid back to Medicaid. I do not want this on my conscvience.

• blondie
    blondie

Concentrate on legally getting things straightened out. I'm sure that will get her attention more than telling her she's a bad jw.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

I hear you Blondie, and I'd never say that to her. I was just thinking 'out loud'!

I received a call from the Elderly Affairs organization this morning--seems this is actually not even a legal matter, but instead they are sendning my information to an Elder Abuse Advocate. I am waiting for more information once he gets updated, and will be talking to him within a day or so.

I'll keep you all updated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit