I Need Attorney Who Understands JW Mindset in FL

by CrimsonBleu 25 Replies latest jw friends

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

I need help with a big problem with my sister (JW) who has been removing money from my moms bank account and saving it for her 'needs'. I am moms POA, and apostate, and she refuses to let me see the account or have access to these funds on the premise I will 'blow every dime' if she does. Mom lives with me for almost three years now. And sis has blocked my emails and will not communicate with me at all. I need an attorney in Central FL who can help me get issues straightened out, but one who understand JW's. Is that possible? Please PM me if you know one.

I have contacted the County Elderly Advocates office and have yet to get a call-back ad I need help soon. Thanks

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Crimson, I don't know an atty in Fl. But I do know, that as a POA for your mom, you need to provide that document to the Bank.

( A copy- keep the original document)

• blondie
    blondie

Do I understand that you have Durable POA documents assigning you over her financial arrangements? Are you the only person listed? Was it set up in Florida or do you need to get one for that state? Any old POAs must be revoked and a new one set up as well. So if she were the POA in the past and this step has not been taken, it will have to be.

What happens if the Power of Attorney was created under the laws of another state?If the Power of Attorney was properly executed under the other state’s laws, then it may be used in Florida but its use will be subject to Florida’s Power of Attorney Act and other state laws. The agent may only act as authorized by Florida law and the terms of the Power of Attorney. There are additional requirements for real estate transactions in Florida and if the Power of Attorney does not comply with those requirements its use may be limited to banking and other non-real estate transactions. The third person may also request an opinion of counsel that the Power of Attorney was properly executed in accordance with the laws of the other state.

http://ohalllaw.com/2011/05/the-new-florida-durable-power-of-attorney-statute/ (not supporting choosing this attorney, just info was interesting)

The DPOA statute also give banks the power to make you obtain a legal opinion that your POA is legally effective and it also gives the bank time to review POA’s to determine if they will accept them.

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/tfbconsum.nsf/840090c16eedaf0085256b61000928dc/ab36277c4562e98885256b2f006c5ad6?opendocument

This is Fl Bar pamphlet and a list of attorneys in Florida and a website that might help until they call back.

The DOEA maintains the Elder Helpline, a statewide toll-free number 1(800) 96ELDER, as well as a website located at http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/index.php

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Ask Bill Bowen to see if he has any recommendations for you. Go to silent lambs website. He MIGHT know of attorney in your area that understands JW mindset.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

There should be an Elderly abuse hotline. Contact them and the Police. Your sister is embezzling her mom's money. It's a crime unless your mom consented.

The JW couple who were her mom's POA was arrested for embezzlement for emptying their mom's bank account. It was on the paper and on TV news at the time. A non-JW daughter of an elderly reported it to the Police. The scumbag was an elder.

For an Attorney, contact Mr. Zalkin at 856-724-1001 or Davin Storey at 858-259-3011 for an advise and/or a referral. They are JWs abuse case experts in Sandiago, CA. They should be able to direct you to a right attorney in your area. Or you could google for an attorney who handles religious and/or elderly abuse or embezzlement.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

No one was POA until me, just recently as of July, so yes it is new. My sister managed her finances for a few years, and then she turned it all over to me in July and said she didn't want to deal with Mom stuff and was too sick to continue with it. Sister was putting 750.00 to 1000.00 a month aside for moms'needs' and for her burial expensed and saved almost 800.00. I asked to see the whereabouts of the funds and she went nuts, and said there was no way I was getting my hands on it. (I did not ask for it, just to see a statement. She refuses to show me anything, but she showed my other sister (both are JW's and I am apostate (proudly!) and now they are telling me they want 500.00 a month from Moms Soc Sec check to keep adding to savings. They want to split it after mom passes! It is MOMS money, not theirs. I need help.

Plus, Mom gets Medicaid now, and that money sister has hidden aside is an asset that will disqualify her. But they are keeping the money hid and they said I have no right to see it. I don't like fraud.

I am moms caretaker for almost three years and she lives with me. I just need some legal help and I have contacted a few attorneys here but get no answer. No one wants to take this stupid childish case. Can't say I blame them, but I need help regardless.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Blondie, thank you!

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Blindnomore, I have contacted Elder Abuse..waiting on callback! Taking so much time I need rersolve so I can focus on taking are of Mom and my home and job. Thanks.

Oh, and as for the police, my sister came over here right after I asked her for access to see those funds. She was really pissed. She told me under no circumstances was I going to get that money (again, I did not ask for it) and she started screaming FUCK YOU in my face and slugged me in the left jaw. I called the police and she is barred from here and cannot even see Mom now unless it's off property.

Sheesh.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

she started screaming FUCK YOU in my face and slugged me in the left jaw

You will know my disciples by their fruits.............

Doc

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

My advice for dealing with Attorney's....

1) Narrow down your issue to 3-4 sentences. These are the first 3 or 4 sentences you will say when the attorney calls you back or you leave a message. For example:

"I am the primary care taker for my elderly mother, she lives in my home and I have POA. My adult sister is withdrawing funds with out permission and has refused my attempts to address the matter. She has cut off all communication and last time I saw her in person she cursed me, punched me, and a police report was filed because I asked about the funds"

2) The attorney will ask questions if they are interested. This is your chance to tell them about the cult, JW's etc...etc...

3) Call 5-10 attorneys and expect half to be straight up douchebags. Don't take it personally they could be working on a mult-million dollar settlement and your little problems are nothing they want to hear about. On the other end, the next guy could be a great semi-retired attorney that is touched by your problem and will tell you exactly what you need to know.

Just from my experience. The JW thing doesn't matter. I would look up Family Law attorney's, btw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit