Tried to convince the JW's on my street I was possesed.

by Cagefighter 75 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

OMgosh...I had forgotten about those witches britches....I am LOLing all over the place....

• blondie
    blondie

I would have called 911 worried that you were having a convulsion. Didn't believe in demons, had a flesh and blood one at home, my father.

• steve2
    steve2

Well, I risked coming across as politically correct, so I should be able to take the medicine.

I'll grant that public silliness and stupidity can be diverting and entertaining. Though I get a bit hooked into the notion that these antics tend to be dished out to the same old tired "safe" targets in the name of "comedy" - whilst the really hard targets such as rabid religious elements who enforce revenge are less likely to be targeted. "Real"comedians may like to be considered funny, but they are not that dim to the consequences of edgier comedy (as Borat knows )

As targets, JWs are as limp a target as any, kind of the religious equivalent of your hilbiliies. Dead easy. Hilarity has seldom been so easily achieved. Yes, I got caught up in the way you describe your intention as not just being silly but trying to "convince the JWs you were possessed".

On reflection, who am I to question your sketch? From yours and others comments, perhaps I should have played the safe and astute card and just kept my opinion to myself. "Real" comedians tend to have tougher hides though. That said, I made my opinion known and as this is a public forum, I accept your right of reply, including the feedback.

• steve2
    steve2

Oh I forgot to acknowledge how right posters are: the American love of making unsuspecting people look foolish - and capturing the humiliation on film/video - is indeed not a uniquely American pasttime. It has indeed grown legs and spread around the globe. As any television producer will confirm, its one of the cheapest ways to generate entertaining television.

Cagefighter, you are therefore one step above those who video their antics and splash them around the net: You cannot be accused of fostering that special technical humiliation.

• ballistic
    ballistic

By the way guys, I didn't say pulling pranks on random strangers was purely an American thing, I said "more so than Brits". Yes it's still a generalisation, but who cares, it's my opinion. I also just wanted to tell the funny story of what that idiot did to me in NYC, I thought it might either make you laugh or growl, one or the other! lol

• moshe
    moshe

Starting with Allen Funt's original Candid Camera TV show, it's an American thing to pull pranks on strangers= laughs at their expense is OK for corporate profits. It's not even safe to use the porta potti-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjRjaq6PuQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit