Has anyone Gone off WHEAT (I am thinking of it , too)

by dreamgolfer 20 Replies latest jw friends

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I'm not Coeliac, but have completely given up bread, pasta and rice. I find that I have more energy, and have lost the mid-afternoon lethargy. I fill up on certain favourite foods like tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and chickpeas. It's totally do-able. A relative of mine whinges all the time about not being able to eat wheat products, and she has a huge ass. I swear, as soon as you give up on bread and rice, the pounds come off. I'm currently on a new diet which involves eating normally for 5 days, then fasting for 2 days, limiting your calorie intake to 500 calories per fast day. It apparently isn't detremental to health, and actually reduces the risk of developing cancer, diabetes an heart disease. I think the diet averages weight loss of about 2lbs a week. You have to reduce your protein intake too, as this is considered useful on this particular diet. there are no restrictions on what you can eat for the rest of the week, which is good if you find regular diets impossible.

• clarity
    clarity

Try millet ..... it is nonacidic and a good protein!

• whathappened
    whathappened

There are many holistic doctors who recommend getting off wheat to see if you feel better. Many people are sensitive to wheat and glutten. I notice when I don't eat wheat my skin is free of red splotches and my joints feel better. Wheat can be very inflamatory. People with fibromyalgia or fatigue should try going off wheat and corn for a while and see if that is the root problem.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I haven't gotten off it, but have reduced the amount i eat. I fell much better without the wheat. Also my mood improves with less wheat.

• hoser
    hoser

What you need is some Miracle Wheat

Gluten free

High in protein

and the best part

only $1.00 per pound

• talesin
    talesin

I can't eat grains. Oats are not the only source of fibre ...

get fibre from

vegetables (washed, but eat the skins! with carrots & potatoes, for example)

cruciferous vegetables in particular

beans and lentils

leafy greens (spinach salad every day, and it works,, ;)

• still thinking
    still thinking

I've gone quite off track with this myself....so am keen to see suggestions to get me motivated again. I felt much better without so much wheat in my diet.

unless you are Coeliac spelt is fine and easily digested with plenty of nutritional benefits as far as I know. It has a slightly nutty flavour too and is lovely in baking.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Thanks all, I have been off 2 days and feel quite well, and eating more veggies, so far so good.

thanks for the all the posts and hopefully I will better each and everyday

have a great weekend!

• Scott Terry
    Scott Terry

I too have given up gluten. It was life changing for me. After 5 years of going to doctors, all of whom could find nothing wrong with me, I finally figured it out myself by narrowing down my diet. And there are many Whole Foods Grocery stores near me, all of whom carry gluten free foods, and seeing them in the store is what helped me to figure it out (thank god for Whole Foods!). What I also learned was that people like me who are gluten intolerant are often intolerant of dairy and soy as well. Gluten is the protein in wheat, rye, and barley, and many people who can't tolerate that protein are also intolerant of dairy and soy. It took me several years to figure it out, and it was absolutely life changing. I can't say that strongly enough. LIFE CHANGING.

So I eat a lot of rice, corn, potatoes, which means I have not lost weight..LOL. And I have experimented a billion times with mixing my own flours, ie, quinoa, rice, buckwheat, garbanzo, etc. etc.....none of which I was happy with. I have found better results with Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mixes. And there are several packaged cake, muffin, pancake, mixes that I really like. They aren't cheap, but I think they are quite good for a replacement. And, being that I live in the San Francisco area, there are LOTS of gluten free bakeries where I can pick up wonderful baked goods.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

May I ask your reason for going off wheat? Have you been diagnosed with Celiacs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit