Has anyone Gone off WHEAT (I am thinking of it , too)

by dreamgolfer 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

let me know how you get your Fiber?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Don't forget carbs. You need your carbs.

• Edamame
    • Teff
    • Quinoa (I have a pancake recipe I've used a few times)
    • Oatmeal! I checked, and it has a slightly higher protein content than other grains.
    • Bulgur (I've included a nutritional data link that I am fond of. Look up any of these grains or search the caloric ratio triangle for new foods)
    • Spelt
    • Emmer
    • Khorasan Wheat
    • Wild Rice
    • Rye
    • Lentils
    • Amaranth
    • Kamut
    • Barley
    • Buckwheat
    • Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans). You will quickly miss the crispy-crunchy texture of prepared foods. Chickpeas can be brushed with oil, spices, and baked in the oven. A tasty, crunchy snack.

Do you have a Bulk Barn in your part of the world? Here they have a wide selection of flours, grains, and snacks for celiacs.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Cool notes, thanks for the info!

from the Heart of Wheat Country - Alberta!

• Emma
    Emma

Bulgur and spelt are both wheat.

I'm off wheat because I have Celiac Disese. In baking I use lots of sorghum flour and quinoa flour, both high in fiber and protien.

Eat lots of fruit and veggies!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I swear it is Canola Country, now. Must be more money in oil.

I am sure, Emma, that you are correct. I thought I would bring up any alternative to the wheat flour we find on our shelves.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

jgnat, thanks for the infor.I have gone off wheat for weight loss, haven't lost any yet after 2 months. I have bought rice flour to try an make some biscuits and have tried quinoa. I eat chickpeas from a can. I will try the others you have mentioned.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Panhandlegirl, you gotta be careful what you replace wheat with. As a diabetic, the glycemic index on rice is way too high for me. I have to doctor it with lots of extra fibre (like a vegetable stir-fry) and eat it with meat. Brown rice is better of course.

P.S. I haven't lost any weight either.

• Emma
    Emma

It is easy to get too many refined carbs on a wheat-free, gluten-free diet. I make a good oatmeal muffin with oats and sorghum flour. While I do use 1/4 cup of sugar, it could be replaced with agave or stevia.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I eat alot of grilled fish and vegetables but when I want a tasty gluten free treat i buy Conte brand gluten free raviolis and they are really good.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

yum I love Italian foods - pass more a "more MEATABALLSSSSS" pleeeeeeeezzze!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit