Music therapy for pain .. scientists on board or anyone .. any thoughts?

by talesin 59 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

mamochan

I have a good deal of experience with pain, and with meds. That's why I thinking of going to the pain clinic, even tho it could be up to a 2-year wait, because they know what they are doing.

Stomach bleeds (NSAIDs), paralysis of the lower bowel (narcs), have been my own experience with meds, among other things, and I have watched people close to me have to up their doses as their tolerance rose. (that does not happen with insulin, by the way - apples and oranges, imho) I do not worry about addiction in the sense of what we see on television... for me, it's another word for dependence. I also had a roommate who had to take methadone for her severe pain. The nodding off, memory loss, fugue states, were a hard thing to deal with. She had always hated street drugs, too, and had some big issues ... really, it was what she needed to survive and I felt sorry for her - why feel guilty?

jgnat - I am open to anecdotal evidence - this does not mean I am looking for 'trendy methods' sold by charlatans. It was anecdotal evidence that helped me learn to deal with my fibromyalgia, long before medicine finally 'decided' it may be a neurological problem. I felt that it was a couple of decades ago, and after trying every 'new drug' the medical profession claimed would help (they didn't) and dealing with the side effects, my GP and I turned to other methods ... this is the first flare I've had in over 15 years, and it is trauma-induced.

People's experiences of how they managed their pain is valuable to me, and though I get your point, I don't agree that anecdotal evidence should always be dismissed.

That example of the pig farmer, exactly! Common sense, people, common sense. I have it.

:)

• talesin
    talesin

Nomad Soul --- ahaha, Like the pic! (I admit, was VERY cranky last nite) I hear he's turned his life around, and bet he does some good reggae.

jgnat - thanks for the link. I have found meditation helps a lot, and I do use a buddhist technique (mindful meditation from the Shambala school). This may help with my technique.

Bells - I have dealt with chronic and severe pain, too. I've taken narcs when I had to, also to be able to work. Other techniques have mostly helped up till now. But I have a "new" excruciating pain to deal with, so I'm research *all* possible methods to deal with it.

Listening to and playing music has seemed to help me with the recent problem, and this is what I am interested in researching.

It is no reflection on those who need and choose pharma - it may end up being my only solution in the end. I am not telling anyone ELSE not to take them.

Thanks for the other links, peeps. I will look to them on the w/end. Long day tomorrow, as I am once again, dealing with a landlord through the tenancy board. UGH

xo

tal

• Bells
    Bells

Talesin,

I would recommend getting into a pain clinic. I also had a 2 year wait (when I tried to get in and they told me 2 years - I cried and thought I won't be here if I have to wait 2 years! But here I am...)

I attended a pain clinic 12 years ago - and then again I'm at one now. There has been an incredible amount of progress in the past 10 years in regards to the understanding of pain - as you'd know, it is an incredibly complex issue.

I reckon that if music works for you, then that's great - doesn't matter whether there is evidence or not. Even if it's a placebo effect - who cares, if it helps you deal with pain, then it's real.

Obviously if you can avoid drugs, that's the way to go - and personally, I'd advise never to take narcs as a daily drug (unless elderly, then - why not) - only on occasion where the pain is serously significant. This way, you avoid the dependance / tolerance level increasing...

And I don't know what kind of pain you get, but for me - I find massage to be really beneficial. It doesn't help my actual pain (from the burns) but all of the other benefits just seem to help - better circulation so ulcers etc. will heal faster, help relieve sore muscles that have been thrown from walking with a limp, I also believe it helps with stress, depression etc. which as is well knows, makes existing pain feel worse.

Everyone's different, though I'd give it a go if you haven't. Has to be regular though - weekly or fortnightly at least - and by a proper trained therapist.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Talesin (and Bells) I hear what you are saying about meds, and I know they aren't the solution for everyone. My particular rant is against the notion that pain meds are always BAD and should be avoided at all costs because they WILL addict you. Simply not true, and far too many people have suffered needlessly as a result. As Bells says, science has made incredible advances in pain management. I believe pain medication is the same as any other type of drug that helps you manage a medical condition. Which pain is.

My heart goes out to anyone dealing with chronic pain. There is nothing more soul destroying than to wake up every morning in pain, having no idea how you will get through the first 15 minutes, let alone the rest of the day. People who judge pain meds have never experienced that kind of relentless, unforgiving pain.

I know so many people who resorted to double/triple doctoring because no one would prescribe them adequate meds. I also know many addicts who steal pain meds for their personal high. So I'm not innocent in that regard, either.

When it comes to pain, though, whatever works personally is what matters. I'd love to not have to take meds. I often think about the people in New Orleans - how would I fare if suddenly I lost my medication for several days? No one wants to be reliant on a drug. But you also need to maintain a good quality of life.

Anecdotal evidence may not have scientific backing (which I think is really important) but sometimes it puts us onto something that does work. Ideas from others about what worked for them is invaluable. Perhaps most importantly, if you believe in a therapy, you increase the chances it will be successful. I believe in music/art therapy, and it is supported by research, even though it may be in its infancy.

Tal - I think it's awesome that you are finding relief through music. That particular power is only just beginning to be explored, I think.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

OH, and FHN, I love your links. Thank you. Debussy rules!

• talesin
    talesin

Bells and Mamochan

Thanks! I will be getting a referral to the pain clinic, and you both have a lot of good things to say. :))

Bells, I have fibromyalgia all my life (and weed has proved to be the best med for me, as well as dealing with trauma issues) plus now a severed ligament in my foot, and because of well, misdiagnosis, which led to the injury being exascerbated, have a bursitis in my foot, and now have developed some acute arthritis in that joint. I *did* take a high dose of ibuprofen tonight (yes, I ate a meal with it), and it is helping a lot. Massage should help, if I can figure out a way to get it - but because the ortho refuses to acknowledge his mistake (even though it's in black and white on the MRI Report) I can't get other treatments paid for without his recommendation, so I'm in a bit of a bind. We shall see.

You've been through a lot - burns of that magnitude, I can only imagine!

Mama, you give some sound advice and feedback, and it sounds like life is not a picnic for you, either.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, Bells ... I don't know if you have problems with muscle atrophy. My friend does (paralysed on one side), and I was able to get him into a program where they inject botox into the affected parts, then splint them ... it has really helped him out.

t

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    OH, and FHN, I love your links. Thank you. Debussy rules!

You are welcome. I know he would love Tomita's versions of his compositions.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

My story for what its worth is possibly the opposite of comments previous. I ruptured a disc while working out in a gym when I was in my 30's. This issue plagued me for 15yrs off and on. The pain at times was stunning, my only position to sleep in was the "down facing dog" from yoga. My mind was going along with my relationship, which led to deep depression. The Dr's I saw were dinosaurs as far as pain relief, so surgery was really my only longterm option. Finally I went to a Dr who said that I need to dance. I laughed him off and never went back. And yes I tried every possible alternative treatment. Some worked to a degree. Cutting the story short, I did discover dance and it was a revelation. I would become totally absorbed by loud dance music and I believe that the body gets into a rythym which the brain and heart find soothing. Pain disappeared and in a number of months I could touch my toes, in fact, put the palms of my hands on the ground while standing (I still can at 56 and yes I still dance). The euphoria of dancing for hours on end would put me in a trance state where pain and any current negative issues were lost. I now understand that the Dr was trying to tell me that many men carry stress in their pelvis/lower back( number one chronic male pain in this country), so that is why dancing encourages a subconscious letting go.

Worked for me...

• talesin
    talesin

doofdaddy - thanks! tai chi did a similar thing for my back years ago, after years of physio, back brace, etc. Something to think about, and much appreciated. Maybe not dancing, but something similar sitting down (foot problem unfortunately, the weight on my foot is a killer) .. Merci!

:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit