Music therapy for pain .. scientists on board or anyone .. any thoughts?

by talesin 59 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I am wondering if there is any research on this subject.

It's kind of obscure, I realize that. :))

Playing my guitar takes me to a better place mentally, but does it produce oxytocin? or any chemical or psychological effects?

Also, if you have any anecdotal evidence or personal stories, I would love to hear about them.

tal

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Not sure...but this is DEFINITELY anti therapy:

http://youtu.be/pKcZL8Tj7M8

• james_woods
    james_woods

I guess anything that takes your mind off of a certain pain might be said to relieve it - to some extent.

It is certainly not on the same efficiency (or danger) level as a narcotic.

Just saying that I would prefer drugs to Bach's B Minor Mass if I had to have a root canal done.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The university where I received my B.A. in Music Education also had a Music Therapy program.

Here is a link to a website on Music Therapy by the professor that headed that program:

Enjoy!

• talesin
    talesin

Christ --- eww! Doesn't that grate on your nerves... LOL! :P

James - I don't take narcs because of stomach bleeds, so am searching for alternatives. Also, this is not going away, so I need alternatives because I don't want to be an addict. Pain sux. :(

00DAD, thanks,,, I checked the site, and have bookmarked to listen/read.

:)

• talesin
    talesin

James,, I didn't find your comment negative, just so ya know!

• talesin
    talesin

and .. LOL! .. I eat dark chocolate every day, because it has those great chemicals. It helps, it really does!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Actually, Tal, it used to be quite obscure, but there is a fair bit of research now. It's my field of interest, and I've written a lot about it, since it is a topic that fascinates me. I'm currently collaborating on a book with a heart surgeon who firmly believes that music and creativity has positive benefits for heart health, and she has a number of examples from her practice. Once I get my life sorted and back on track I hope to pursue more research in that area and learn more about the psychological effects, i.e. release of oxytocin.

I recently came across an interesting topic of binaural beats, and the concept of entrainment. The example used is two tuning forks that start to vibrate at the same frequency when they come near. Our brain waves vibrate at lower frequencies when we are relaxed. Binaural beats use the idea that by listening to a particular frequency, our brain waves will become entrained to it, which causes chemical changes and promotes relaxation. There are a few charlatans out there who try to market the concept, but it has an interesting scientific base.

As ooDad says, Music therapy provides ample evidence of the power of music to treat a whole range of issues, including pain management. When my mom was in hospice for the final few days before she died, the music therapist came by. My sister and one of my daughters were there, and we all harmonized on Blackbird. I have to say that for those few minutes all the pain was gone from that room.

• talesin
    talesin

Mamochan -- thank you! That is so interesting. I just got my guitar repaired after about 6 months, and it makes me feel so much better to play. I am very curious by nature, and wondered if it produced oxytocin, similar to the way orgasm does.

My best friend is paralyzed on one side, from being mugged. He is a professional musician, and being able to play his guitar again has made him want to live. You may know of it; there is an association in Canada that adapts musical instruments for people like him, and he has an electric strummer on his guitar. Since he got that, it has changed him from wanting to be dead, to being happy to be alive.

Hell, I am going to practice even more now!

Merci!

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Hi Talesin

The place I always start when i have a question like this is the Cochrane Collaboration, an international group that produces independent systematic reviews on health interventions. They have produced reviews for music therapy for depression, end of life care and schizophrenia. They conclude that whilst evidence is limited, it has shown to be useful for depression and schizophrenia but the jury is definately out for end of life care. This does not mean that it is not of use for reducing pain at the end of life, but the evidence does not currently support the conclusion it does make a difference. (see www.cochrane.org - there is some really interesting stuff there)

NICE, the clinical guidance and regulatory body over here, has also produced guidance recommending music therapy for schizophrenia. I work a lot with NICE and they would not recommend something without being convinced of its value so that is enough for me to say it has clinical benefit for at least one condition.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit