where is that quote in the WT on even thinking against the WT constitutes apostasy?

by WildeLover 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

hi all

can someone direct me to that quote ? i think it was back in the 80s? i have looked and can't find it anywhere?

thanks

WildeLover

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

That was a letter to the elders, not a WT article. Do you want someone to post it here?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

It was a 9/1/80 letter to all CO's and DO's...it said:

"Keep in mind that to be disfellowshipped, an apostate does not ahve to be a promoter of apostate views. As mentioned in paragraph two, page 17 of the August 1, 1980, Watchtower, "The word 'apostasy' comes from a Greek term that means 'a standing away from,' 'a falling away, defection,' 'rebellion, abandonment. Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe his apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

readjust his thinking

What a creepy expression.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe his apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken.

Devil talk, and it begs the question, who really is the apostate? If the JWs are wrong, and they are wrong about almost everything with respect to their core theology, not to mention practical application of Scripture, then they are the true apostates, having abandoned the Gospel.

http://www.soul.host-ed.me/index.html

• cedars
    cedars

isaacaustin - I've read it before, but that is one creepy quote. How anyone can read that and not conclude that JWs are a cult is beyond me.

Cedars

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

thanks all for the feedback :-)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/56262/1/Article-needed-d-fing-of-those-who-hold-personal-views

in this thread there is a quote that this was said in the WT but when i look in the WT library i dont find the quote.. i find only this.

Aug 1 , pg 17, 1980

“The inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith.”—1 Tim. 4:1.

ARE you profoundly shocked and unduly disturbed when you see or hear of a Christian you know yielding to doubts, cooling off and perhaps even becoming rebellious to the point of deserting the Christian congregation and trying to draw others away with him? If so, you may be comforted in knowing that, sad as such occurrences may be, the Scriptures forewarn us that they will happen.

2 The word “apostasy” comes from a Greek term that means “a standing away from,” “a falling away, defection,” “rebellion, abandonment.” The first one to fall away from the true worship of Jehovah was Satan the Devil. He was therefore the first apostate. (John 8:44) He caused the first human couple to become apostates. (Genesis, chapter 3) Very early in the history of Israel there was a “falling away” or ‘turning aside’ from true worship. We read:

“Even to their judges they did not listen, but they had immoral intercourse with other gods and went bowing down to them. They quickly turned aside from the way in which their forefathers had walked by obeying the commandments of Jehovah.”—Judg. 2:17.

3 Later, many of the kings of both Israel and Judah became apostates and led the nations they were ruling over into a course of apostasy. God first punished the northern kingdom of Israel, saying: “Against an apostate nation [Israel] I shall send him [Assyria].” (Isa. 10:6) And just before the destruction of Jerusalem, capital of Judah, by the Babylonians, Jehovah stated: “From the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.” (Jer. 23:15) Apostasy or falling away from the true faith certainly brought no blessings to Israel and Judah.

THANKS

WildeLover
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

. . Atlantis
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Wildelover,

The WT is known for quoting sources that, when examined,have absolutely nothing to do with their baseless assertion.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Cedars, I am as perplexed as you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit