Field Service Requirements

by DATA-DOG 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hello everyone,

Has there ever been any official letters stating the amount of field service required to be considered exemplary? Usually the number given is 10hrs, but if you look up " 10 hours " in the CD-Library you get 14 hits. None from the Bible of course, and only 3-5 are related to field service. Even then, none are mentioning an hourly requirement. So is it all off the record? Are there any GB letters about this, or is it just an un-written organizational policy? Thanks in advance ( you too Recovery and 5th column ).

• sd-7
    sd-7

To my knowledge, there was pretty much an unwritten rule that you should keep the national average for hours per month. If you wanted to 'make progress' you should make 5-10 hours more than that if male, and pioneer if female, 'cause that's as far as women can go...

I'm sure there's something in writing, but maybe from the Rutherford era, at most. Otherwise, I don't know.

--sd-7

• Recovery
    Recovery

From discussions I've had with elders about the subject, they are required to meet the publisher average. That's probably why you won't find 10 hours in print. Average hours vary from area to area.

Hebrews 13:7 "Remember those who are taking the lead among YOU, who have spoken the word of God to YOU, and as YOU contemplate how [their] conduct turns out imitate [their] faith." So those taking the lead in the congregation are to be exemplary. This would no doubt include the admonition and command to preach the good news of the kingdom.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I know when I was in bethel and a MS, I was told by two elders that I was the best speaker in the hall but could not give outgoing public talks unless I got my hours up. I was averaging about 8-10.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Well despite a full time job and running a home single-handedly, I averaged over 40 hours a month, but the Elders in my congreagtion convinced my girlfriend that I wasnt "Spiritual" enough, so it must be way over that.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, there was a required 10 hour quota for publishers up until 1970 or so. There was a quota of 12 magazines/month, 6 RVs (BCs)/month, and 1 bible study/month. They used to post a large chart up by the platform with each month's congregation totals and averages. Congregations were quite competitive and comparing and judging each other. They finally stopped that about the same time.

So the national average is a replacement for that means of juding others by the numbers. JWs would not be appointed as regular pioneers unless they had maintained this quota for 6 months and were conducting 1 home bible study.

When it changed, the talks centered around the concept that now some publishers would do more than the obligated 10 hours each month and that those who could not make ten hours would not be discouraged. Horsepucky. It was to cover the fact that the zeal of the average was waning and putting that info up publicly in the congo was too revealing.

*** km 2/71 p. 3 A Letter from the Pioneers ***

First of all, before you can enroll as a regular pioneer you must have been baptized for at least six months, and during the past six months you must have been a regular publisher reporting at least ten hours and six back-calls on the average each month. You must currently be conducting at least one home Bible study.

*** km 2/73 pp. 1-6 Branch Letter ***

How about congregation publishers? They are increasing in numbers, from 389,555 for the previous year to 401,519 for the first three months of the 1973 service year. That is good to see. But their report of hours is down from 9.9 to 9.6 per month, on the average.

Some have said: But we have no quotas now.? Though the hour requirements for the various branches of pioneer service have not changed, it is true that congregation publishers have no set goal of, say, ten hours per month. Yet the question might be asked: Is this a valid reason for decreasing the amount of time spent in doing the will of Jehovah God in the field service? Really, in past years we were not going in the field service simply to meet a goal of hours, were we? We were interested in preaching the good news of God's kingdom, to magnify Jehovah's name and to give others the opportunity to hear. And we still are. Now that we do not all have a set goal of hours we are not to conclude that our field ministry is any less important. Our message is urgent. This is something to think about, don't you agree? Jehovah's requirement that our service be whole-souled has not changed.

*** w71 6/1 p. 335 How to Succeed in the Pioneer Service ***

It is not easy to jump from a pace of ten hours a month as a congregation publisher to one hundred hours a month on the pioneer track.

*** w65 9/1 p. 524 What Comes First in Your Life? ***

Surely the suggested minimum goal for this, twenty minutes a day, two and a half hours a week or ten hours a month, is a reasonable one for a mature Christian. Jehovah's witnesses try to devote at least ten hours a month to their field ministry

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

10 hours, national average, congregation average...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Interesting, thank you everyone.

So " scripturally " should this number or any other be used as the sole basis for determining if a brother or sister is exemplary? Does Hebrews 13:7 only apply to just preaching visibly in the ministry? What makes someone exemplary?

• youngbro
    youngbro

Back before I was ahem...downcasted, I was in charge of Sound and was told that I could not use a particular brother for mics because he was below ten hours a month.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Data- dog. Very nebulous phrase. Means- More than 6 hrs. No private reproofs, etc for 3 yrs +. For someone needed for last minute stage demo.

A few more hours for a WELL LIKED APPLE POLISHING Elder relative to be Ministerial Servant to do something unpleasant (accounts?).

Visible 12 + hrs/ 10 mags/1 BS average/ no reproof for 3-5 years/ well liked/ Company man, to have name mentioned on Friday night for Elder.

If you are a boat rocker, alpha male, outspoken ......lol ....you had better be a pioneer or have a 15 hr average, Bible study, and buy the C.O. a new suit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit