Message from a JW. Does this sound Christian?

by TimothyT 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Sent a message to a very good JW friend who must be about 20 now. Here is the message:

"Hiya. Hope your good. :) Missed you lots this past year. Hope youre doing well with everything, your college and guitaring etc. Im doing great these days. Things are going so well with my boyfriend and my uni studies. Exciting. Would love to see you sometime. Remember Im always here if you need me no matter what. :) Love Tim xxx"

Here was the response:

"You gotta stop messaging me Tim. Iv withheld from responding to you with the hope that your persistence would eventually wear out. Obviously I was wrong. I no longer know you Tim. You are not the friend I once had and have no interest in the immoral lifestyle you now lead. You wanted to leave your former life and you have. Leave me behind with it. Youve made your choice now live with the consequences. The door is always open for you to come back to normality. But I think we both know your state of mind on that idea. Peace"

Sound like the kind of thing a Christian would say? Despite a number of things which went through my mind for a response, including his own personal issues, how closed minded he was being, how little he understood my feelings on why I had to leave, how mind controlled he was, and how clearly Unchristian he was acting, i simply decided on the following response:

"Peace. Sorry you feel that way. Ill remove the number. Hope you do well in life. :) x"

If that doesnt heap hot coals on his head so to speak then I dont know what will. Seriously, I dont feel sad or angry with him. I understand that he is just a product of his rather annoying and overbearing religion which I too was a part of at one point. The only thing that saddens me now are the memories and the rather hurtful things he said. I did a lot for this brother and look at the thanks I got. Zippo. I suppose it does annoy me that despite the fact I told him what was happening to me he still chooses to disregard that and see that I am immoral and stubborn and have made my choice to be gay.

What a dumb religion... its not only a joke but its also immoral and extremely Unchristian. How do they not see that? Blows my mind!!! I suppose the most frustrating thing is that I cannot do a thing about it though. The only thing I can do is carry on and as my friend so adequately put it, 'live with the consequences' of leaving which up to now have been AMAZING! What a strange thing to say. Anyway, Im happy!!! I seriously hope he is too but I know that one day the shi* is gonna hit the fan and when it does, I hope he remembers me, me, a person who holds no grudges and gives everyone the benefit of the doubt and tries to understand! Shame I offer that to someone who doesnt appreciate it yet! I hope someday he does!

Tim xxx

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Man, that's a real bummer. In the end, they are the one that is losing out though. You're probably better off.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"What a dumb religion.... How do they not see that?"

Timmy, he's blinded by the power of the panda-petting paradise. You did the best you could to open his eyes. For now he's choosing the course of blind obedience to some dudes in Brooklyn, NY. Now he has to live with the consequences of slaving for a publishing corporation promising a reward that will never arrive.

And "no", it doesn't sound Christian.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

If thats the friend you talked/posted about in the past its the response you should have expected.

A long time ago I realized there is no fraternization with witnesses. My wife after 5 years is finally starting to figure that out.

Not to sound cold (but my name is frosty) JWs are brainwashed and you just dont know when that ticking time bomb of JW conditioning is going to kick in. Live your life enjoy you BF and tell us about some great trips and your learning experience at uni.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I know you're venting here, but to play Devil's Advocate: you can understand where he's coming from, i.e. that is the stance of the JW's on homsexuality, and he's reacting in a manner consistent with that: at least he's not a "jack JW", right? If JWs are dogmatic and "unXian", then they are at least consistent as a group.

Who knows: maybe it's an excuse for him not dealing with his own homophobia, or the fact that you turned out to be gay freaks him out (that happens with some people). Maybe he's dealing with his own feelings.... Who knows....

But just like he cannot force you to be something you're not, you also cannot force him to accept you as you are, or to be something he's not: that's a stale-mate, and it's a show-stopper for him continuing a friendship with you. There's a price to pay, and as a saying I really hate goes (because it's so circular), "it is what it is...."

The usual platitudes apply, i.e. live and let live, living well is the best revenge, etc.

• krejames
    krejames

Timmy - your post made me feel sad. But I have to agree with King Solomon - this is to be expected. From his point of view you are "spiritually dead". It may have been difficult for him to respond to you in such a harsh way - maybe he thinks it's "tough love". He thinks he's doing you good by shunning you to "bring you to your senses" so that you'll realise what a wonderful closetted, depressing life you had with your "brothers and sisters" and want to return. It makes my blood run cold.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Tim T,

Your friend was not really your friend. He was a friend of a corporation. Now that you no longer are a part of that corporation he is showing where his true loyalty lies. You are so lucky to have escaped the prison of a mind-controlling cult at a young age. Unfortunately your friend is still behind bars. You replied without malice or judgment. He deserves your pity but not your friendship. Keep looking forward and make real friends.

Reopened Mind

• irondork
    irondork

Well, you know Tim, this is what you get for choosing to be gay. You were given every opportunity; that young sister that was interested in you, remember? You could have lived a life of deception by marrying her, figured out some way to get it up and have sex with her without vomiting, produced children that would likely end up in a broken, unhappy home.

But no! You had to be true to yourself... you and your immoral lifestyle. You're so selfish Tim.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

Tim,

Just get on with your life and leave him/her alone. There are many "Christians" that would have this attitude toward you now, not just JWs. Your friend is simply refusing to have a practicing homosexual in his circle of friends. Respect his beliefs and stop harping on his life decisions just because they make you feel uncomfortable. Move on with your life.

Wish you the best.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Tim, make new friends...

There are decent people out there - so-called "worldly" people - who would make good friends. Just choose your friends wisely, and be willing to overlook some minor differences...

I'm friends with the neighbors two doors down - they put up with my atheism/ex-JW rants, and I put up with their Catholicism...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit