Starting to read 1984 by Orwell

by TimothyT 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

In my generation it was required reading in high school. It's an engaging read. Even if it doesn't make a big impression at first, parts of it will come back to you when you talk to JW's

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Jimmy Page said:

Interestingly enough my JW brother read "Animal Farm" in high school. He was also much more interested than I was in the science magazines that our non-JW grandfather used to send us as kids. Ironically, bro is still a JW and I am the atheist apostate who accepts evolution.

Yeah, my elder fleshly brother was a BIG Sci-Fi (SF) fan, and subscribed to Omni magazine (anyone remember that one?), read Bradbury, etc. Those paperbacks were sitting around the house; not so sure how THAT went over, when elders came over.

He was a very smart guy, and probably understood the applicability to JWs of "1984", but still went to Bethel in the late 1970's, pioneered, etc. So it's defo not a magic cure-all for joining or leaving a cult (although he later DID leave the JWs, after coming out of the closet, a fact he hid or suppressed his whole life, probably even from himself).

I know Crisis of Conscience played a role for him: he was at Bethel during the time Ray Franz was there, and apparently it explained some of the stuff he witnessed.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Every book by George Orwell is good, IMO. 'Homage to Catalonia' is a good read too; it's a true story of the betrayal and wasted lives in the Spanish Civil War. Fortunately, all the political intrigue is explained, so its kinda like 1984 for dummies, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit