GB will do your research for you, just sit back and absorb

by irondork 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Room215!

Interesting observation which escaped my notice.

I managed to collect a Kingdom Interlinear not too long before leaving - had to wait months after ordering at literature counter! It reveals serious problems with scores of NWT verses.

• VM44
    VM44

Watchtower 1967 June 1 p.338 Move Ahead with Jehovah's Organization

12 How will we put these four things into effect? First, study: We may think of study as hard work, as involving heavy research. But in Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing, to help you who do not have so much time for this, these preparing the good material in The Watchtower and other publications of the Society. But you do not study enough? Take this suggestion: Often the very best and most beneficial studying you do is that done when you read a new Watchtower or Awake! or a new book with the joy of getting the new truths and a fresh view.

• blondie
    blondie

Right!

be p. 34 How to Do Research ***

Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education

Refuting requires a thorough knowledge of both sides of an issue along with a careful analysis of evidence used.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wasn't there a KM article that said , and I am paraphrasing here. " To look at other materials so as to test the " truth " would not be a good idea. " or " Or considering oustide material to prove to yourself that you are in the " truth " would be dangerous."?

I know that is pretty vague. I just seem to remember something like that standing out, because we are always told to make sure of all things. I guess we just can't do it too much lest we learn TTATT.

• irondork
    irondork

All great quotes. This helps a lot. Honesty, I think your June 1, 1967 Watchtower was the one I had in mind. Thank you.

• Leolaia
  • lightreturns
    lightreturns

I started thinking independently, after I read Mankind's Search for God Book. I wondered how GB could research various faith's without it affecting their thoughts. It made no sense that my mind could stray, while GB's mind stayed in perfect enlignment with God. Actually everytime I heard criticizm of other faiths, it made my thinking more independent lol.

• irondork
    irondork

Wow, Leoliai, that was really impressive.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I’ve said this elsewhere but wanted to repeat it. First, I want to give Leolaia belated thanks for her analysis of the September 2007 Our Kingdom Ministry “Question Box” article. It is masterly. Second, I want to share some background on that article’s genesis.

A month before the article appeared, someone in Bethel leaked it to a friend of mine. My friend was leading one of the independent study groups the Society was so concerned about. I was part of the research effort. We had begun to discern that the Society’s teachings on many things did not agree with what the scriptures said. We paid particular attention to the date of Jerusalem’s destruction by the Babylonians and the length of the Gentile Times.

To make a long story short, our Bethel “mole” told my friend that the “Question Box” piece was written with him in mind. He had shared our findings with the Society and endeavored to get it interested enough in them to comment. After giving them attention initially, the Society eventually refused to communicate further with him. Finally, my friend was disfellowshipped in absentia on direct orders from the Service Department.

Ours was not the only group to engage in “independent research” as we all know. While we had looked at the WTS chronology and prophecy interpretations, we knew of others who were delving into the original languages and had serious questions about different readings in the New World Translation. We also discussed some of our findings on the Internet. I don’t know if any of these other groups or individuals got advance copies of the “Question Box” piece, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that were so. I also don’t know if any of these other people were disfellowshipped for apostasy as my friend was.

Quendi

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Not many 'noble-minded' ones like the ancient Boreans among JW's. About as much critical thinking as a parrot is needed to be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit