School District forbids deaf 3-year-old's name sign because it "looks like a weapon"

by Steve_C 22 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

144k+1

It's the love of lawyers tha................NM

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

NC said:

If this is in the US, a lot of schools adopted a zero tolerance policy for any kind of gun signs after Columbine. One girl got suspended for pointing her finger and pretending to shoot a boy. It wasn't hostile, she was just playing, and out she went.

I don't think it's about litigation so much since those policies started popping up everywhere.

I dare say protecting the Federal civil rights of disabled under the ADA trumps a local policy of zero tolerance for hate-speech.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    There's probably a lawsuit waiting in the wings against the school district for violating Hunter's rights under the ADA, if they don't engage in some serious back-peddling...

Think about it KS, what if another child is injured by this weapon sign? The school will be responsible.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I believe you are correct, KS. So it will likely be sorted out. They should have just brought up ADA and scared the crap out of them instead of going public. Schools make mistakes, it's not always a federal case.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

True, Beks, you could poke an eye out with that thing.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Think about it KS, what if another child is injured by this weapon sign? The school will be responsible.

You mean like if his finger was actually capable of firing projectiles? Or like if children panicked and ran away from him and trampled each other, after meeting him and someone asked him his name? :)

*sigh*, I suppose there is some minor point to be made about the need to find a way for Hunter to express his name without resorting to a hostile gesture: you know how it is when a child you don't know points his finger at you and shoots you?

I say, how about a nametag? Problem solved....

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Yea! Other three year olds might pull out their piece and return fire! We are aiming for an armed populace to fight crime, right?

Love of lawyers? That conjures up a rather frightening image . . .

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Or like if children panicked and ran away from him and trampled each other, after meeting him and someone asked him his name?
    Oh you got it, this is the problem.
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

When I was a kid, my friend was sitting at her desk playing with her pencil. She puctured her wrist and started spurting blood. I suppose it was an artery, but as a kid, I didn't understand that part of it. They had to apply pressure and rush her to the hospital.

Do they still use pencils?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit