Are we Ex JW's just as cognitively dissonant as we were before?

by chapstick 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Sulla
    Sulla

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Sulla. A viewpoint you've reiterated many times on this discussion board.

To not much effect, I think.

My question is, what does it matter to you, really?

Well, I think a central task of a board like this one is to help xJWs move on from JW-ism to live a better life; JW-ism being pernicious in a great many ways. So, topics like education keep coming up here... topics like atheism, etc. You can't very well move forward without understanding what happened, it seems to me.

But that reflection doesn't happen very often, it seems to me. That can't be good. A woman who is in an abusive relationship may find it within herself, finally, to leave it much to her benefit. But if she doesn't understand how it happened and, crucially, how to identify what she did to place herself in an abusive relationship then she is quite likely to make the same dangerous choice again. She is genuinely a victim, of course, and it is right and just to review all the ways in which her partner is an ass. But there is hardly a shortage of abusive men out there and, if she doesn't do the hard self-analysis, she puts herself in danger again.

I think the metaphor is apt. Many people here selected JW-ism on their own. It should be obvious that the great majority of people are able to avoid this sort of disasterous decision, so how should we think about the error? How do we avoid it again? One response seems to be an aggressive and rather obnoxious atheism -- this sort of substitute God of scientism, which strikes me as a cringing response to the personal catastrophe we have all been through.

"Know thyself," we are advised, on good authority. This is part of that effort, I guess.

Do you hold a better opinion of those that choose a different faith than yours after exiting?

Not sure what you mean. I do have a general suspicion that the shallow atheism lots of xJWs fall in to is an unreflective response to JW-ism. That's because, as I have said before, atheism is really close to JW-ism; certainly JWs reject all the Christian teachings in favor of a pretty absurd, ersatz religion. You could argue that Catholicism is something like the opposite of JW-ism and that my response is simply a thoroughgoing rejection of the JWs than most other responses. That's possible. But at least it would represent a universal rejection of the entire JW approach to, well, everything.

So, if Jws have cognitive dissonance, it is worth asking whether xJWs also have it. But what if they don't have cognitive dissonance, and it is xJWs who are more likely to display it? It seems to me these are questions worth asking.

• chapstick
    chapstick

Most Ex JW's that I know are rightly proud of themselves for seeing through the charade they were living in. On the other hand they take a stand much more rigid than their ex compadre's when it comes to what's really going on in the banking system, the media and government. This is what hard core JW's do, totally reject anything that challenges their world view. Does anybody want to know what really happened on Sept. 11, 2001 with new information and without rehashing old truther video's?

The evidence is a click away yet no one dares look... mmm

chappy

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well you've answered the OP sulla . . .

That last post has got lashings of CD splattered all over it.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

maybe a better question is if ex jws have any more or less cognitive dissonance than the people around them.

you can make an argument for members of political parties, for instance.

you can even stretch that to sports teams. as a fan of the san diego chargers, i've gone into every season for the past 5 or so years thinking, "maybe...", don't even get me started on the padres.

you could conceivably make the argument for religions, though i'm of the opinion that as long as it's not harmful or projected on others, cool.

as for the moon thing. just no. there's way too much evidence that says yes they got to the moon that it literally becomes an argument of 1+1 = 12

some things are simply true

• ziddina
    ziddina

Find out how many ex-Jehovah's Witnesses have joined other cult-like or high-control groups...

I strongly suspect that most ex-JWs are very careful about stepping into situations that have even a whiff of "cult" about them.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We have very good GD skills. That's why I recommend actively studying critical thinking techniques to lower our risk of filling our heads with other brands of inane drivel.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Sulla I am having a hard time understanding the points you are making, for me to understand you a bit better how would you describe cognitive dissonance in your own words?

I am currently studying psychology and am heavily involved in studies regarding social psychology. Could you please show we how you came to the conclusion that dissonance is not a cognitive construct?

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "A good many are as cognitively dissonant as they ever were. I would have thought that after discovering ones whole reality was a lie that all other so called truths held by society in general would also be veiwed with a healthy dose of scepticism. But alas, those who choose to question long held 'truths' about how the world operates or whether things are as we are told by the media are soundly castagated with the same cockiness and blindness as a jehovahs witness at a door treating the householder as an ignoramus..." Aussie Oz, above

Speaking of which...

I've just checked out the book, "No One Would Listen - A True Financial Thriller" - about the Madoff scandal and one accountant who saw thru the scam, but couldn't convince anyone else that Madoff was dishonest...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748703936804575108180543849168.html

So, as Aussie Oz said...

I've long suspected that being in a state of denial is a condition common to all humanity.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...One response seems to be an aggressive and rather obnoxious atheism -- this sort of substitute God of scientism, which strikes me as a cringing response to the personal catastrophe we have all been through. ..." Sulla, above

Sulla, I can see clearly that you've never made a detailed comparison of the bible's "scientific" claims with actual scientific discoveries and studies...

• chapstick
    chapstick

Cognitive Dissonance: Having the charactoristic of holding two diametriclly opposed concepts (ie: life after death vs no life after death) at the same time yet appearing and seeming normal...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit