Quick question for recent convention attendees, did your hotel offer box lunches?

by Theocratic Sedition 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Since body piercings are not allowed, wearing our badges with the swimsuit is out.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

When I was still attending, they used to make an announcement before the session was about to begin, but before saying anything they would ask all the bros/sis to immediately stop what they were doing (usually walking) and listen.

And everyone was expected to stand absolutely still, no talking, and listen to the bro at the stage until we were told we were allowed to keep going.

Do they still do this?

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    When I was still attending, they used to make an announcement before the session was about to begin, but before saying anything they would ask all the bros/sis to immediately stop what they were doing (usually walking) and listen.

And everyone was expected to stand absolutely still, no talking, and listen to the bro at the stage until we were told we were allowed to keep going.
    Do they still do this?

LOL, naw they stopped doing that. They're a litte bit more slick with it now. They make an announcement to start working your way back to your seats and they play instrumental music for 10 minutes prior to the actual song that the audience will sing. So when you hear the music playing and no singing, that means it's time to get back to your seat. They've included the instrumental music on the schedule/menu/whatever you call it so you can plainly see it's part of the program. Even prior to actually attending, the part on the upcoming convention or circuit assembly in the KM usually makes mention on how the brothers and sisters worked so hard on the music and that we should show appreciation for it by taking our seats and listening to it pleasantly.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yeah, they used to make the same announcement about how we were supposed to go to our seats and listen to the wonderful provision of Jehovah that he provided, blah blah blah but the insistance that we all stand still got a bit much.

I think the last 2 assemblies I attended I just kept walking, instead of standing still. I was such a rebel, lol.

• Scully
    Scully

All I can say is that I am soooo glad that I don't have to go through this crap every summer anymore. Living in a convention town (at least it was when we attended) the commute wasn't a problem, nor was bringing a picnic lunch and snacks for the kids. To put it very simply, conventions are torture for small children in particular and for families in general. You don't get anything out of the program, the children don't want to sit (and really they aren't meant to) for hours on end, and I'd get pins-and-needles from the waist down thanks to the uncomfortable seating. The air conditioning was never put on in the main auditorium, so it was miserably hot... which at my current stage of life would not go down well.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    I think the last 2 assemblies I attended I just kept walking, instead of standing still. I was such a rebel, lol.

I was talking with another brother and what we thought was the music playing stating to get in our seats was really the actual song to be sung. We couldn't tell as we were just not used to this new venue and outside of the auditorium it was difficult to tell what was going on inside. I got back up to my seat as the brother was introducing the propaganda play drama.

All I can say is that I am soooo glad that I don't have to go through this crap every summer anymore. Living in a convention town (at least it was when we attended) the commute wasn't a problem, nor was bringing a picnic lunch and snacks for the kids. To put it very simply, conventions are torture for small children in particular and for families in general. You don't get anything out of the program, the children don't want to sit (and really they aren't meant to) for hours on end, and I'd get pins-and-needles from the waist down thanks to the uncomfortable seating. The air conditioning was never put on in the main auditorium, so it was miserably hot... which at my current stage of life would not go down well.

I couldn't imagine being a small child during the convention and my memories of such are too blurry. That said, I think I'd rather die than be a parent trying to get a child to sit still or at list slip the kid a benadryl. As far as the air conditioning, it was set on blast like the friggin Antartica in that joint. Me being a brother I have the benefit of a long sleeve shirt and jacket where as the sisters looking all sexy in those skirts and heels were trying to keep warm in blankets and their signifcant other's jackets. I felt so bad for the parents though trying to keep the little ones quiet and still. It's impossible at times. So glad I don't get involve with attendant privileges anymore. Felt like the biggest asshole telling some parent to quiet their kid.

• finally awake
    finally awake

We were always told to not leave the assembly site at lunch time. I can actually understand this given the massive traffic jam that always occured at the end of the day. However, the 1 and 2 day programs were held at a site that had restaurants within easy walking distance. Many people walked across the street to eat picnic style by the fountain in front of that building. I remember when we were assigned to go to the 3 day assembly in Louisville, KY. The hassle of trying to deal with lunches for 2 adults, a baby, and a toddler nearly put me over the edge. None of the hotels on the rooming list had proper refrigerators, just dinky little cube size ones with no freezer for ice packs. It's a wonder we didn't all get food poisoning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit