Help needed Re: Elders stepping "aside"

by Pathofthorns 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I have a vague recollection of elders who voluntarily took a break from their positions due to health matters or to take care of family situations.

In some of these cases it was possible for them to have some sort of understanding with the congregation that they would still be respected as elders but without the title and less assignments.

I realize this subject is somewhat stupid, but I have my reasons for asking and if anyone has sound information regarding situations where an elder can take advantage of something like this and how one would go about it, it would be appreciated.

Path

• LB
    LB

Where I attended MSers were able to step down and keep their titles but elders always had to completly step down. Yes I know it's commonly said to be stepping aside, but I haven't met an elder who didn't think he was special.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• rekless
    rekless

Hey LB,
    Did you steal your logo of the gunfighter from the Pahrump, NV. Web page.?

• LB
    LB

I did a search for western animations and it came up there along with lots of other junk I liked. Maybe it's about time for a change? I should look for something new.

Not intended as a hijacking here, sorry.

Yes, darn elders, always stepping aside or down or up.

Back on track, there ya go

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Prisca
    Prisca

Path,

My father "stepped down" as elder due to the serious health of a family member back in the 70s. He was a "Society man" and was very loyal to the WTS, and was used in the congregation and circuit for a decade more. Many had great respect for him as an elder, and even after he stood down, many still went to him for advice.

From what I remember, there weren't any reprecussions from him resigning as an elder, as everyone knew our family circumstances, and the family as a whole was also respected.

If you want to know any more, please email me as I'm not prepared to say much more publically.

• DocBob
    DocBob

When I stepped down in 1995, elders were encouraged not to step down, but to remain elders but not hold any positions such as presiding overseer, secretary, etc. They really didn't want elders to step down. Few that do ever "step up" again.

• Scully
    Scully

I don't remember exactly when the term "stepping down" as an elder was subjected to "new light" and changed to "stepping aside". Seems to have been in the late 70's, early 80's from my recollection.

If you go through some of Amazing's posts of his personal experience, he describes a "provision" whereby he was able to retain his eldership without the attendant responsibilities, while caring for his family's needs. Up until I read that post, I had no idea such a provision existed. As I recall, this happened in the early 90's for Brother Amazing.

DocBob, good to see you posting here!!

Love, Scully

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"Stepping down" from what?

Is there really no clergy class?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Ozzie

Good point! I remember when we were encouraged to say 'stepped aside' rather than 'down' but it never seemed to catch on.

Path, good to see you still around. I can't help with any factual info, being a mere woman , but in every congregation I was in, whenever an elder 'stepped', there were ALWAYS whispers and rumors and gossip flying around about it! And generally, the elder and, by association, his family, was never quite looked at the same. Sad, but that was my experience. I guess most folks just love the idea of a scandal

Dana

• DB
    DB

safe4, I agree, that whenever elders step down, there is accompanying gossip and speculation in most cases. Some elders try to pre-empt this by openly stating to a few jw friends why they decided to step down. But even then, I think that speculation probably continues, as some try to figure out the "real" reason that a brother may step down.

I also feel that the better term is "step aside" or simply "resign", but the step down term seems to be entrenched in jw jargon. It does seem to hint at a heirarchal arrangement of sorts. And given the way elders, CO's and DO's are treated and almost revered, I do belive such an arrangement does exist, if not explicity, at least by strong implication.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit