Order Conditionally Granting Motion For New Trial As To Punitive Damages Filed in Candace Conti Case

by DNCall 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

JT,

Cal. Civ. Code § 3294.5. was repealed by its own terms, operative July 1, 2006. It is inapplicable to Conti.

Apparently, the editors have not truly updated their work.

Punitive Damages State-by-State Guide § 7:15 (2011 ed.) Punitive Damages: A State-By-State Guide To Law And Practice Database updated April 2011 Lori S. Nugent a0 , Robert W. Hammesfahr a1 , Richard L. Blatt (in memoriam) a2 Chapter 7. Summary of the Relevant Laws of the States and Territories B. State Summaries

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

JT, Diest, and 144000, thank you for the helpful info regarding Ca law. This case will undoutedly set precident for countless others. Like the rest of you I eagerly await the judges response along with that of Mr. Simons.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It's been already posted on another thread, but to update here:

http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/domainweb/service?ServiceName=DomainWebService&TemplateName=jsp/imgviewer.html&rofadt=08/24/12&Action=27747936

In a nutshell, if the plaintiff agrees, the punitive damages of $21 million is to be reduced to $8.61 million. I'm assuming that if the plaintiff doesn't agree (and assuming I've understood correctly) then I guess there'll be a new trial on the punitive part only. The compensatory part (the $7 million) appears to be secure so far.

The court determined a remittitur to be appropriate such that the punitive damages award is reduced from the $21 million awarded by the jury to $8,610,000 as determined by the trial judge. Plaintiff Conti has 30 days to decide whether to accept that amount or whether to undergo a new trial which would be limited solely to the issue of how much punitive damages should be awarded. The court did not order that any other issue be retried.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Poster 14400I is correct in his last post as far as we know.

I might be going out on a limb here, but until we hear differently, the following information might be of use:

Compensatory Damages:

Regarding the jury award of $7M compensatory damage, the judge's order said: "The jury allocated responsibility as follows: Kendrick 60 percent; North Fremont 13 percent and Watchtower 27 percent. The jury also found an agency relationship to have existed between North Fremont and Watchtower. " As we read in older documents, Kendrick was let off the hook - he doesn't pay a dime or the 60% of the compensatory damage. This leaves Watchtower to pay 27% and the North Fremont Congregation to pay 13%. We understand that the Watchtower will pay the 13% owed by the congregation because of the agency relationship. The Watchtower then owes Candace 40% of the $7M compensatory damage award which is $2.8M.

Punitive Damages:

According to the latest court decision, the punitive damage award was reduced by the judge to $8,610,000.

$8,610,000 + 2,800,000 = $11,410,000 is the total of what we believe that Watchtower owes Candace Conti

Joe Grundy:

1. Correct; the granting of the motion has no effect on the finding of cvil liability for any of the defendants.

2. Correct; compensatory damages are unaffected.

3. Correct; only the amount of punitive damages to be awarded is affected by the court's order.

4. Correct; the court's determination as to how much punitive damages should be reduced by is known as a "remittitur."

5. Correct, Ms. Conti has 30 days to decide whether to accept the $8.61 million in punitive damages as reduced by the remittitur or to proceed with a new trial only on the issue of how much in punitive damages should be awarded.

6. Supplemental questions: Yes, the court can determine that a judgment is too small and can order an "additur," which is the opposite of a remittitur. In such a situation, the court will order a new trial unless the defendant agrees to accept the "additur," which is an increase to the amount awarded in the judgment. If Ms. Conti opts for a new trial on the issue of damages, a jury will be empaneled to hear the issue of damages only. I do not have the time to research whether the jury could revise the award upwards if a new trial is held but I am unaware of any legal reason as to why they couldn't.

I'll take you up on the beer offer when you visit Southern California.

Peace through power tools!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit