Here's the latest news on the Candace Conti case

by God_Delusion 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

The judge has denied a new trial as to evidence. Apparently the compensatory damage award of $7M stands. He has, based on prior cases that have set some sort of standard, reduced the punitive damages to $8.16M. The plaintiffs (Conti/Simons) have 30 days to accept or reject the judge's decision.

It is not clear from the judge's order if the Watchtower has any options. I assume they do and I assume they will reject the judge's order and appeal the entire case. What the judge has done is to give the WT a way out and a way to save a little face. His review of the case is saying to the Watchtower: "I've checked the way the case was handled and I feel you have no basis for an appeal. If you do appeal, the higher court will most likely agree with me and reject your appeal."

He is also saying, "Based on the evidence, and comparing the punitive damages award against other similar cases, I agree that the punitive damages arrived at by the jury were too large because they were based on the jury's emotions and desire to send a message and not reasonably based entirely on the evidence. Take what you can get Watchtower and get out while the getting is good."

Whether the judge wins the argument and convinces the WT to take what it can get - the damage has been done. The case files, evidence, and testimony are all in the public domain and the Watchtower can't do a thing about that. They will certainly face other trials - and those trials will use the Conti case as a template. The only way out for the Watchtower is to settle quick, admit their errors, and change their policies while they can.

I've heard from a fairly reliable source that the Watchtower is planning to once again reorganize their relationship with the local congregations to create a more formal legal barrier between the corporate WT and local congregations. I'll make this as plain as I can:

Elders will soon find themselves on their own in these types of cases because the WT corporate legal eagles will find a way to effectively make them "franchises" - just like McDonald's and Taco Bell.

How would this work? Watchtower supplies the operating guidelines, teaching materials, literature, and training. They will approve the ownership and management. Their monthly franchise fee will be everything over and above local Kingdom Hall expenses. But the "franchised Kingdom Halls" will be separate legal entities.

I know this sounds like Menlo Park in reverse, but this is the only way the WT can free itself from the burden of all (or at least some) local liabilities.

For those of you who are still active brothers seeking out more responsibility within your Kingdom Hall - run, don't walk, away from any idea of becoming an elder or even a ministerial servant. You could find yourselves personally liable (just as the North Fremont KH was in the Conti case) and lose everything you own. Even if you win your case, it is likely that the WT will require you to get local counsel and not depend on WT Legal for your defense.

Time will tell us if this rumor is right or not. I think it will be sooner than later...

JV

• sir82
    sir82

Interesting rumor - could this be the reason for the hastily slapped-together elders' schools in November of this year?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Interesting rumor - could this be the reason for the hastily slapped-together elders' schools in November of this year?

I doubt it - I cannot see the WT society moving that fast on something this big. But I do think a re-org of the legal obligations for local congregations is very likely in the cards.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for breaking these latest events into plain and simple English Juan Viejo2! I guess we await further developments, but I doubt this is panning out the way the Society anticipated.

The rumour about franchising is certainly very interesting.

Cedars

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I expect a flurry of BOE letters from Watchtower Service and Legal departments over the next few months. I expect some major reorganizational announcements as well.

I've received some information from anonymous sources that once the Conti case is finally put to rest, dozens of cases in Canada and Australia may pop up in provincial/state courts. While USA/California laws do not apply in those countries, the Conti case has provided legal teams there with a boatload of evidence and strategies to work with and apply locally. In those countries, the very first thing the plaintiffs should ask for is copies of all WT BOE letters since 1980 on file at the local branch offices. If they don't do this quickly, they may find that the evidence has been submitted to 451F by Watchtower branch officers.

JV

• sir82
    sir82

JV,

So, what you're saying is, if any enterprising elders were to make and preserve personal copies of BOE letters from 1980 forward from their congregation files, those copies could prove to be quite valuable to certain legal entities?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

sir82 -

Oh yeah! If I was an elder I'd be making multiple copies of EVERYTHING IN THE KINGDOM HALL FILE DRAWER and stashing them away. Those letters, CO notes, and other communications could save their bacon later on. I'm hoping that some smart elder will do this and then send everything to Barbara Anderson, JWFacts (Paul Grundy), Randy Watters, Marvin Shilmer (although I think Marvin probably has everything already), and me. That way there will be plenty of sources available should the WT suddenly "disappear" their archives.

JV

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would save everything you can get your hands on. If I was an Elder, I would be making copies of everything I could for future use. I am not in that position so I have to rely on the shrewdness of others. By the way, I do appreciate all of you working on the inside who know TTATT.

• cedars
    cedars

To all Bodies of Elders

Dear Brothers

We are in deep shit. Please shred everything we've ever sent you about child abuse. In fact, shred all the letters you can find, just to be sure. Actually, keep anything in your files that makes you look individually responsible - that would be fine. We will also be sending you some new directions soon on how you can enjoy the privilege and added responsibility of being legally responsible for your own congregational duties in future. That way, you too can experience the joy of being sued for following divine direction. We've had it with this legal crap, now it's your turn to carry the can.

May Jehovah continue to bless your sterling efforts on behalf of his flock.

Your brothers,

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

PS - Please also shred this letter along with everything else.

shredder

• life is to short

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit