Some thoughts on the 'days' of Daniel 12

by Splash 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I give up. Sorry about that. Let me go back to Word to put in spaces. Perhaps that will do the trick.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Days, Times, Weeks and Seasons in the Book of Daniel Jehovah God is the great Timekeeper. As ultimate Lawgiver and Judge, he, and only he, can change the times and seasons (Gen. 1:14; 8:22; Dan. 2:21; cf. Dan. 7:25). He has instituted the Heptad Cycle, which is evident in all his handiwork, e.g. the six creative “days,” concluding with His seventh rest period. The lives of his people would be governed by a seven day week, ending with the Sabbath observance (cf. Gen. 2:2-4; Ex. 20:8-10). All the days, times and weeks of Daniel are connected to a half or full Heptad Cycle. 7 times NWT Daniel 4:16 Let its heart be changed from that of mankind, and let the heart of a beast be given to it, and let seven times pass over it. This temporal phrase is repeated four times in Chapter 4 (vv. 16, 23, 25, 32), emphasizing its importance. In all likelihood, seven years would pass until Nebuchadnezzar would be reinstated. This is its primary fulfillment. Time, times and half a time NWT Daniel 7:25 And he will speak even words against the Most High, and he will harass continually the holy ones themselves of the Supreme One. And he will intend to change times and law, and they will be given into his hand for a time, and times and half a time [1 + 2 + ½ = 3 ½ times (3 ½ years)]. Under the auspices of the big horn, God’s people will be intensely persecuted for a period of three and a half years. They will actually be under his control for the duration of this time. Afterwards the beast will be disposed of, and rulership will be handed over to “the holy ones of the Supreme one” (cf. Dan. 7:26, 27). 2300 evenings [and] mornings NWT Daniel 8:14 So he said to me, Until two thousand three hundred evenings [and] mornings [= 6 years and 4 months]; and [the] holy place will certainly be brought into its right condition. Under the auspices of the small horn or fierce king, control of an army would be relinquished. The constant feature will be “given over” in order for it to be trampled alongside the army (cf. Dan. 8:12, 13). This period will be just over six years in length. Six is an imperfect number, falling short of seven years by more than 7 months (cf. Rev. 13:18). The horn will then be disposed of by “the Prince of princes” (cf. Dan. 8:25). Seventy sevens NWT Daniel 9:24 There are seventy weeks that have been determined upon your people and upon your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, and to finish off sin, and to make atonement for error, and to bring in righteousness for times indefinite, and to imprint a seal upon vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. For this phrase to be synchronized with the appearance of the Messiah (Hebrew), otherwise known as the Christ (Greek), it will have to be adjusted to seventy weeks (of years): 70 weeks x 7 = 490 years (cf. Dan. 9:24, 26). Appointed time, appointed times, and a half NWT Daniel 12:7 And I began to hear the man clothed with the linen, who was up above the waters of the stream, as he proceeded to raise his right [hand] and his left [hand] to the heavens and to swear by the One who is alive for time indefinite, It will be for an appointed time, appointed times and a half [3 ½ appointed years]. And as soon as there will have been a finishing of the dashing of the power of the holy people to pieces, all these things will come to their finish. This appointed period of persecution, lasting three and a half years, has been fixed under oath. The persecution, coming from both the King of the North, and his followers, and the King of the South, and his allies, will last until the hand (or power) of God’s people has been completely shattered. Interestingly, this consists again of half of a seven year cycle. 1290 days NWT Daniel 12:11 And from the time that the constant [feature] has been removed and there has been a placing of the disgusting thing that is causing desolation, there will be one thousand two hundred and ninety days. After the constant feature has been removed, “a disgusting thing of desolation” would be placed in a unique way for it to fulfill its final purpose (cf. Dan. 8:11, 12; Rev. 18:15-17). This period would last 1290 days. 1335 days NWT Daniel 12:12 Happy is the one who is keeping in expectation and who arrives at the one thousand three hundred and thirty-five days! Indeed, happy are those that survive the great tribulation (cf. Matt. 5:5; 25:21, 23, 34; Rev. 7:9, 10). This period will last 1335 days. 2625 days Sum total of above two periods (1290 + 1335) = 2625 days, exceeds a full seven year cycle (= 2520 days). Conclusion: After a seven year cycle, God would have completed the clean-up. This would initiate the next seven year cycle of burying the dead and clearing the debris (cf. Ezek. 38:9, 13).

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Nope, nothing works. Sorry about that. Mr. JWN editor and I have never been friends.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

To decipher the above. 1) Heading; 2) Intro; 3) Heading; 4) Scripture; 5) Comment.

• Londo111
    Londo111

As a preterist, I believe the 1260, 1290, 1335 days apply to past events, namely, the first century Great Tribulation around 66 to 70. Admittedly, I’ve yet to study these things in depth, for my attention is caught in so many directions.

The reason why I liked this thread was not the preceding post of futurism, but the OP. This is information that needs to be shared with JWs…if possible. Encourage them to calculate the dates themselves and ask themselves why it doesn’t add up.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Londo, if it all happened in the past, then it should not be too difficult finding the beginning and end point for these dates. For those of us looking for a future fulfillment, it would be more of a problem, where do the days start and when they do they end. But I am open for a primary as well as secondary fulfillment, if the evidence bears up.

• prologos
    prologos

Acts 1:7

1 Tim 1:4

Titus 3:9

• Londo111
    Londo111

I don't feel sufficiently studied up on this yet...it might take 1290 days to research and 1335 days to compile the results and share it.

Currently, I’ve other more pressing projects to tackle.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Prologos, then there is Amos 3:7, Dan. 12:4, Hab. 2:2, 3, etc. to contemplate. I find it mentally stimulating and enlightening to study, especially the prophecies. As long as one doesn't go overboard, it cannot do harm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit