untitled

by iknowall558 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Im an ex JW, out 3yrs after spending 24yrs of my life in the organisation. I spend most of my time on FB exposing the org and having conversations with active JWs. I have recently agree to a 'Bible Study' with a woman, a grandmother, who is a regular pioneer and has only been a JW for 5yrs. Im doing this for the purpose of being able to throw some questions at her and to get her to think about what she is teaching me. Anyway, we've been through a few things from the 'Bible teach' book, when I asked her about the disfellowshipping practice. She went through the usual reasons 1 Cor 5 etc, when I challenged her on it, saying that there is no basis in scripture for shunning and if she could, could she provide me with an example of this.

She came back with this reply...."Jehovah's Witnesses do not 'shun'. That is done by Mormons I believe, although I am not certain of that"

Obvioulsy, because I know that they do, I called her on it again, and specifically asked her if she would talk to a disfellowshipped person, soicalise with them or even ask them how they are? She has done a good job in not answering me directly. In fact, she then said, to me, "We do not associate with them, if you call that shunning, that is YOUR definition, not ours".

I still pressed her on it but it seems she is very reluctant to admit that this is they conduct themselves in the event of a person being DF. In her latest comment she then claimed that it is the 'bad attitude' that they shun.

Im trying to work out why she is so reluctant to admit the shunning practice. My only thoughts are that she is embarassed to admit this to someone who is' only 'studying' cos she she keeps pleading with me to stick with the programme so that I will see the whole picture and 'understand'. But, all I know is that she was prepared to lie about this.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

They believe it is theocratic strategy to lie if the situation merits it. There is some useful stuff on Steve Hassan's website about helping people in cults. Perhaps she hasn't come accross a DF person yet and had to decide what she should do. Not associating with them is all theory to her isn't it? What if it were a family member? My JW sisters didn't set eyes on my child until she was nine years old and then only because it was our mother's funeral. That is definitely shunning! Hope your efforts to help her are successful.

• iknowall558
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

She is in denial.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i may have told this story before, not sure

my last memory of field service, and this might not actally be the last time i went out...just the last thing i remember, i got into a conversation with a woman who was a lesbian. we had a very nice talk about religions and beliefs and christianity. she was pretty receptive to what i was saying. by that time, my strategy at the door had shifted. i stopped preaching doom and gloom and focused on paradise. who wants to hear the world is ending and all that nonsense? besides...isn't it all about the hope of paradise?

anyway at at some point i invited her to come check out a meeting and that's when she asked me....

"what do you guys feel about homosexuality? i'm a lesbian."

now, apparently my face tends to be pretty expressive lol. so i have NO idea what my face looked like lol. i've always been pretty liberal socially. to me, good people are good people no matter what they believe, who they love, whatever. i always believed people were just BORN that way and they didn't chose to like the same sex anymore than i 'chose' to like the opposite sex. i juust thought it was satan being a prick and brdening people with an awful load to bear.

i'm ashamed i even thought satan had anything to do with that. especially while studying calculus and physics lol.

anyway, i lied through my teeth saying that no one would judge her, no one would care, etc. i certainly wouldn't and would welcome her with open arms. she was pretty hot so that's not too surprising

trth is, OF COURSE she'd be judged by the others.

she pressed me on that. could she love whomever she wanted? if she wanted a relationship with another woman (that IS what she was a attracted to after all) what would happen? would she have to look towards men if she wanted to have a family?

lies lies lies, FROM ME and i don't think i'll ever forgive myself for that. i felt bad as soon as the responses came out of my mouth. not because i was lying (despite jayhmbg's holy hogwash all over me from the prayer at the meeting for field service) but because we both knew that if she joined, she'd be fucked as far as LIFE was concerned.

it wasn't fair. it wasn't right.

i wish i knew where she was so i could apologize. it's been at least 7 years and i STILL think about that.

jehovah's witnesses lie. they lie constantly when at the doors or when condcting studies or at the platform, or when giving counsel to others, in order to "prove a point" and bring"others into the flock"

i.e. indoctrinate others into the cult

you might not ever get her to see the light on that one.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

If she comes back, ask her what HER definition of "Shunning" is.

NJY

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

I agree, JW's lies when it suits them. Its just I dont recall that I would ever lie about the fact we had to shun those who were DF. Maybe she doesnt like the word 'shun'. Who knows? They are so intent on getting people in that they give them all the sugary stuff first. I think it threw her when I put that to her at this point in the study.

I will ask her what her definition of shunning is, and then Im ready to post the WT quotes and see what she makes of that.

• Scully
    Scully

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shun

Definition of SHUN

: to avoid deliberately and especially habitually <shuns publicity>
    - shun·ner noun
    Examples of SHUN

He shuns parties and social events.
    After his divorce he found himself being shunned by many of his former friends.
    Origin of SHUN

Middle English shonen, shunnen, from Old English scunian
    First Known Use: before 12th centuryRelated to SHUN

Synonyms: avoid, dodge, duck, elude, eschew, evade, finesse, get around, scape, shake, shirk, shuffle (out of), escape, weasel (out of)

Related Words: miss; avert, deflect, divert, obviate, parry, prevent, ward (off); ban, bar, debar, eliminate, except, exclude, preclude, rule out; bypass, circumvent, skirt; foil, fox, frustrate, outfox, outsmart, outwit, overreach, thwart

Near Antonyms: accept, court, embrace, pursue, seek, welcome; catch, contract, incur

• sir82
    sir82

She has learned quite well from the Watchtower - if you don't like a word, just redefine it.

The classic example is the definition of "lie" as found in the Insight Book -- "telling an untruth to a person who deserves to know the truth".

I.e., the WT (or its adherents) can lie 24 hours a day, then use the "well, he didn't deserve to know the truth" excuse as a "get out of jail free" card.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve never met a JW yet that wouldn`t change the definition of a word..

So they could weasel out of telling you what really goes on..

In their Secretive WBT$ JW Cult..

We ignore..Don`t associate with..Anything but Shun..

We don`t Shun..

......................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit