Hall - Elders leave disfellowshiped woman with baby carriage at bottom of stairs...is this insane?

by Witness 007 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

That's a symptom of organizational dysfunction, a sign you see whenever people aren't empowered to think for themselves, or act on instinct, as they're so afraid of garnering disapproval of others. Hence no one does anything, and you see that kind of blindess to suffering that to an outsider seems plainly obvious as the nose on their face....

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This too would be needlessly unkind and inhumane. Yet situations just like this have developed, perhaps in all good conscience, yet due to a lack of balance in viewpoint.

It's because they are all too damn stupid to think on their own, and they are used to being told what and how to do every little nit-pick thing that comes up in their lives. If ever they start thinking on their own, we all know what will happen.......

Doc

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"What if a woman who had been disfellowshiped were to attend a congregational meeting and upon leaving the hall found that her car, parked nearby, had developed a flat tire? Should the male members of the congregation, seeing her plight, refuse to aid her, perhaps leaving it up to some worldly person to come along and do so? This too would be needlessly unkind and inhumane. Yet situations just like this have developed, perhaps in all good conscience, yet due to a lack of balance in viewpoint."

Any bet Ray Franz was the architect behind this attempt at being reasonable?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Reminds me of the experience I had with my wife a few weeks back: http://jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/230101/1/My-Wife-the-Rebel

• blondie
    blondie

You are correct outsmartthesystem, it was Ray Franz that tried to show reason regarding helping df'd jws. But much of this was reversed by the WTS 6 to 7 years later and so it stays.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I beleive such an instance wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility given the mentality they had back in the day.

In the 70's when we were studying the Sunday Watchtower which basically sort of gave the go ahead to (new) "lighten" up on how hard core we were supposed to be toward DF'd ones, outlining circumstances where it would be acceptable to have some contact with a DF'd person. A sweet old brother raised his hand and made a comment that made his wife whip her head around and stare at him. He said " I've never told anyone about this...not even my wife of 40+years but back in the 1950's when we were living in Minnesota we had a huge snow storm one night I was driving home and I recognized a Disfellowshipped Woman who's car had skidded off the road and was stuck in the snow so I stopped and helped her chain up and I got her car back on the road for her . I've always felt guilty about having done that but I just couldn't risk that she'd be stuck there all night and possibly freeze to death."

Can you imagine even having to question your own actions in such a circumstance and having to feel the need to keep them hidden for 20+ years and then only be able to admit it once you got the nod of approval from the Society ?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Can you imagine even having to question your own actions in such a circumstance and having to feel the need to keep them hidden for 20+ years ?

And just imagine the can of worms it opened, begging the question, so WHAT OTHER sins have you committed that you haven't come clean about, perhaps harboring until they also are announced as no longer being a sin?

• Room 215
    Room 215

I knew Bob Lang quite well-- I reported to him in my work assignment at Bethel, and thought him be a decent, considerate person.. above average for a Bethelite with a senior job, at least

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Always makes me think of Matt. 23:25 "You blind guides who strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel"

Yup, they're no different from the Pharisees!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit