Candace Conti's Sur-Reply is Very Effective

by DNCall 41 Replies latest jw friends

• DNCall
    DNCall

At oral argument on August 13th, the court requested additional briefing from Candace regarding the punitive damages being contested by Watchtower. From the case law cited in the brief it is demonstrated that the award of punitive damages is on solid legal ground. Although the court had until August 25 to render its decision as to whether the present judgment will be altered and Watchtower granted a new trial, the court docket indicates that the court has entered an order already. The content of the order isn't up on the website as yet. It should be up by tomorrow. My guess is that Watchtower's Motion for JNOV and New Trial will be denied in its entirety.

Much of the case law cited in Candace's sur-reply brief is settled appellate law. Should Watchtower appeal, it doesn't look promising for them.

Go Candace (and Rick)!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sounds very promising . . . let's hope so.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Woohoo!

• free @ last
  • Gayle
    Gayle

Thanks DNCall, for update,,look forward to update tomorrow also.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Can't wait to hear the results. Thanks for the info!

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

OK here is an idea Watchtower Bible and Tract corporation, if you lose, get all your members (7 million right), to pony up 4 bucks each and that will raise the 28 mill you will need.

I know you already have the money, somewhere? But if everyone of your members comes up with the money, you won't have to get into offshore bank accounts or sell any more real estate. Or maybe, Jehovah will just float the money down from the clouds or make it grow from the ground at your farm.

• Balaamsass
  • cedars
    cedars

I heard that the appeal is NOT going well for the Watchtower. We can expect more information in the next few days.

Cedars

• Diest
    Diest

I heard that the appeal is NOT going well for the Watchtower.

I would agree, but we are still at the very early stages. You still have the CA Court of Appeals, the CA Supreme Ct, and the US Supreme CT.

That is several steps to go through, and at any of those point the verdict could be overturned or greatly reduced. I think Candace has a good chance of winning but I think BOTR had one good point that we have yet to hear of on an appelate level. That is whether or not the WTS and the Fremont hall had a duty of care. If any of those courts think that they did not have a legal duty, this whole thing could be turned on its head.

The trial court already ruled on this, so at this point I doubt the judge would reverse himself. We have at least a year or two to wait and find out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit