Would you go running back?

by Nambo 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Replies such as "It wont happen cause its a fairy story" wont really help.

It helps in the real world.

• Nambo
    Nambo

"The tone of your O.P and its false assumptions suggest that either you have lingering thoughts that "they may be right" or you think that those of us have left do."

Wrote Phizzy.

No, I dont have lingering thoughts that "they may be right", or even that those of you that have left do, rather, as somebody who does belive in God and the Bible, I wonder if, in the face of a personal experience of great tribulation, say world war 3 for example, if a lifetime of indoctrination from the JWs would resurface in the abscence of any other intellectual refuge for those of us who for whatever reason, have not prepared for such an eventuality.

Meaning, whilst at the moment you feel safe to have abandoned anything Spiritual, would fearing for your lives cause you to flee back to the only place you ever knew that seemed to offer salvation, that if they got 10% right, then they must be 100% right?

And no, Iam not recommending such, I consider the 90% they get wrong invalidates the accidental 10% my senario has them get right.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

If the Watchtower's explanation of the Bible is true it would mean that I would have to worship a goddamned murderous douchebag.

I don't want to worship the aforementioned douchebag so no I would not run back.

At first I thought this thread was about fantasy football

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I guess you never know how you would react to a life-threatening situation. I had been away from the Witnesses for 20 years, and never gave them or god much thought- too busy getting drunk and playing up, lol! ... and then I realized the truth about growing older, midlife and mortality- I actually went to the C of E church one Sunday morning- I was just so scared and alone. What we might do because of some emotional turmoil inside us doesn't change the facts of life which stay the same.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The great trib could happen at any time, but how the bible teaches it and the society teach it are two different things. Also what happens after it is different from how the bible teaches it vs the society.

They will go down as well as all other objects of people's confidence, when their confidence is misplaced.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

There would be no point going back. We got our bubble of protection burst when the WT. said that 'as a group' we'd survive the tribulation, not as individuals and that some could die in the tribulation. It's just so much BS.

• steve2
    steve2

No I wouldn't. I grew out of the play pen years ago.

People who are ruled by fear, are knowledge-ignorant and perceive themselves as having no options will go running back - indeed do go running back to all sorts of things when the chips are down.

It is a phenomenon well known to religious leaders and car dealers: A shake-up leads to a wake-up - but more often than not, sustaining the state of wakefulness is a whole separate issue.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I would rather be dead than serve that God. No running back for me.

I agree with OTWO

LITS

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

No...I'd go Quarterback! They get you a bit more points and are more durable for the most part. ;)

Oh...this isn't a fantasy football discussion??? Oops! Sorry...but my answer is still NO. ;)

• SnowQueen
    SnowQueen

Argueably a (if not The) GT is already upon us! No matter what the 'truth' is (and we really have no way of knowing) a person's reactions to world events is ultimately determined by their interpretation of those events, which is derived within the context of their world view.

For those people whose world-view is still that instilled by the WTS they will interpret world events as the fulfillment of 'bible prophecy', whereas someoone living on the other side of the world, who perphaps has no belief in god, will have a completely different interpretation and reaction.

Everyone knows that our planet and socio-economic and political systems are all bankrupt, but not everyone will interpret this as 'The Great Tribulation' and a sign that god is about to fix the world - some will actually feel responsible and empowered to do something about it!

Our interpretations are irrelevant, events do not contain any intrinsic meaning. In the real world (physical reality, as opposed to the internal imagined world of our interpretations), all we know is that we are in this situation and it's not looking good!

Are we going to stand by and watch with our fingers-crossed, banking on divine intervention?

Or are we going to use what power we do have to make a difference?

The reason people run back to the WT is because they have been programmed with deep-seated phobias of the world events and therefore they are terrified. They have also been conditioned to believe they are helpless and that god is going to take care of everything for them.

The fear has a juicy pay-off though: be fearful and faithful enough and you're off the hook! You don't have to take any personal responsibility for contributing to society and working towards solutions, you can just sit back and passively 'wait on Jehovah'.

In these times of great uncertainty and unpredictability what we can be sure of is that reality is going to get tougher and tougher to deal with - how we interpret it, as well as what we do to prepare, will determine whether or not we are empowered to face it.

The best thing anyone can do is create a circle of trust. When times get tough people will stick with those they feel safe with. Since the WT is a destructive cult and the 'love' they have for each other is unconditional, I wouldn't consider it a safe and trustworthy place to run for shelter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit