"J W Church Accused of Hiding Sexual Abuse...

by Smoldering Wick 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick
    Rodriguez said Friday that the molestation began when she visited the home of her best friend, Beliz's daughter. She said Beliz told her that if she reported the abuse he would make sure her family would face expulsion, or "disfellowship," from the Jehovah's Witnesses. http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/1529553p-1606022c.html
    "They knew he was a pedophile and they ignored it," Bellevue attorney Tim Kosnoff, one of the lawyers representing the victim, said of the church. Seattle Timeshttp://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134394417_jehovah23m.html

Rodriguez, now 22, was best friends with Beliz's daughter. She testified how as a child he would signal to her with two thumps of his hand, which meant for her to go and sit beside him. He would then allegedly begin to touch her and take her hand to touch him-- she not understanding what he was doing. This took place on a weekly basis throughout her childhood... http://www.silentlambs.org/ritzville2.htm
  • Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick
    It is the second such lawsuit filed recently against the Jehovah's Witnesses, officially known as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. A similar suit was filed in Concord, N.H., last summer, but has not gone to trial.

"The overwhelming majority of victims never sue and when they do, most are settled quietly out of court with gag orders," said David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, based in Kansas City, Mo. His organization was founded to help victims of Roman Catholic clergy, but recently has been lending support to members of other Christian denominations.

Unlike Catholic priests or most Protestant clergy, Jehovah's Witnesses elders are not officially licensed by the church, nor are they trained at any church-run seminary. Still, they are expected to uphold policies and practices that are instituted at the national level, Kosnoff said."They are following the dictates of the national organization," Kosnoff said. "It's those destructive and evil policies that fail to protect children and instead protect the predators."

Spokane attorney Richard Eymann, who is on a team of lawyers representing Rodriguez, said there is national interest in the case. "Organizations that allow their employees or agents to abuse young children -- even worse, try to cover up the conduct through intimidation of the victim -- should be brought to justice," Eymann said. Another member of the team representing Rodriguez is Jeffrey R. Anderson, a Minneapolis attorney who specializes in church-related sexual abuse cases. He has gotten several multimillion-dollar judgments against religious organizations.

The suit says Rodriguez's mother was sanctioned by the church for reporting her suspicions of Beliz's abuse. At the same time, elders of the Othello Spanish Congregation spoke on Beliz's behalf when he was sentenced to prison for the criminal conduct.That pattern, the suit says, shows the Jehovah's Witnesses' "long-standing policy and practice of minimizing, defending and tolerating abuse by congregation" elders.

When the sexual abuse occurred, Washington state had a law requiring the reporting of suspected child abuse to law enforcement authorities. "None of the elders of the Othello Spanish Congregation reported the suspected abuse of Rodriguez to any designated authority," the suit claims.

"Manuel Beliz has been dealt with," Kosnoff said. "Now we need to deal with the organization that allowed him to commit his crimes by giving him sanctuary."

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-story.asp?date=012302&ID=s1089784

• waiting
    waiting

Normally, the one (particularily religion) who brings up the matter of money (particularily in an interview to be published) is considered tacky and self-serving.

Money talk is for "little people" - not major corporations or Men of God.

This is an interesting turning point. Get down & dirty - and talk money.

waiting

• Smoldering Wick
  • Beans
    Beans

Look at this crap!What of a Child Molester?

What if a baptized adult Christian sexually molests a child? Is the sinner so wicked that Jehovah will never forgive him? Not necessarily so. Jesus said that 'blasphemy against the holy spirit' was unforgivable. And Paul said that there is no sacrifice for sins left for one who practices sin willfully despite knowing the truth. (Luke 12:10; Hebrews 10:26, 27) But nowhere does the Bible say that an adult Christian who sexually abuses a child—whether incestuously or otherwise—cannot be forgiven. Indeed, his sins can be washed clean if he repents sincerely from the heart and turns his conduct around. However, he may still have to struggle with the wrong fleshly impulses he cultivated. (Ephesians 1:7) And there may be consequences that he cannot avoid.

Depending on the law of the land where he lives, the molester may well have to serve a prison term or face other sanctions from the State. The congregation will not protect him from this. Moreover, the man has revealed a serious weakness that henceforth will have to be taken into account. If he seems to be repentant, he will be encouraged to make spiritual progress, share in the field service, even have parts in the Theocratic Ministry School and nonteaching parts in the Service Meeting. This does not mean, though, that he will qualify to serve in a position of responsibility in the congregation. What are the Scriptural reasons for this?

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1997/1/1/article_01.htm

Read it all,you will be disgusted!

Beans

• LB
    LB

I can hardly stand to read such threads as this. I force myself to read them every so often. I do appreciate SW and others for keeping such topics alive.

I do know of instances where elders have been turned into the authorites. I know of elders being removed. But I also know of elders just moving away and becoming elders in a new congregation.

It makes me sick, and I hate even having these thoughts cross my mind. I suppose I need to find a nice soft sandbox to bury my head.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

They aren't "resistive" to anyone notifying the proper authorities, eh? Bullshit.

When one of my kids was molested, and the proper authorities got involved (there was a conviction, btw), I got a phone call from an extremely angry elder telling me that I had violated bible principles by 'taking my brother to court'. Not one word of concern for my child.

Sickening.

Dana

• LB
    LB

Dana was this "brother" being used at the time?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• JT
    JT

If he seems to be repentant, he will be encouraged to make spiritual progress, share in the field service, even have parts in the Theocratic Ministry School and nonteaching parts in the Service Meeting.

##################
    Notice the above--

This is what a good lawyer will point to as to what instructions elders are given to help the man-

while i agree that the man has a problem, it is clear that when the WT organization is asked: What advice or direction do you give in behalf of the man with this problem.

well we all know AT LEAST THE CATHOLIC church sent the guys to see a Professional to address their problem,

but what does wt do-well --do they advise the person to seek help or provide that help themselves in view of the fact that they have jw like Dr. Robin Thurston in Alexandria VA who work hand and hand with her Buddy Carolyn Wah on cases for the Society all the time.

NOPE instead of telling the person to seek professional help they tell the sick guy to:

1. Attend all sales meetings

2. Sell books on a regular basis having a full share

3. Read all Sales manual, memo, book, tapes and etc that corp home office releases

yes this is all the advice that a child molester will get from an organizATION that claims to be the truth

how sad

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit