JWs And Near Death Experiences

by Cold Steel 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

My take on NDEs is this:

Our consciousness is separate from our body but is connected to it by an invisible umbilical cord. At the moment of passing, the cord is severed. I do believe in life after death.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I've had a few out-of-body experiences, when concentrating heavily while playing music (avant-garde jazz). You're so busy concentrating, listening intently to what the other musicians are "saying", and responding to what you hear, such that you dissociate from yourself. It's really liberating, as if flying.... It becomes as if you were sitting in the audience and thinking, "it would be cool if the drummer played THAT", and then he does (I was the drummer).

Heck, that's why African tribes dance/chant/sing/smoke for hours, trying to achieve that state...

In fact, achieving that state is the entire point of meditation, and playing some forms of music; it probably does have something to do with shifting brain activity to areas associated with hearing and processing auditory information, such that the self-awareness centers shut down and give that sensation. It's possible that the brain anoxia associated with dying (slow breathing, weak pulse, drop of blood pressure, etc) means the brain is free to run amok, just like when falling asleep, except anyone is able to experience the out-of-body sensation....

But y'all can go ahead and think its magic, too.....

• Clambake
    Clambake

Sorry for bumping this thread but isn’t it depressing being a religion where no super freaky shit ever happens. Not saying I am not somewhat of a skeptic but I am like Mulder from the X-files, I want to believe. ( Near Death Experiences, Faith healing, various miracles).

Come to think of it, sometimes someone will say something so stupid in the KH it really makes me believe there are demons around.

“Just because don’t understand the light, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t obey “ .

“ The truth tomorrow can be different than the today but it important we keep shunning “

I keep expecting ghostbusters are going to kick in the door

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    A short while ago a man I know through my business had reason to ask if I was afraid of death. I said not really. He put his hand on my should and looked at me. Don't be, He said, I've left my body many times. He then described in some detail his out of body experiences.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think it has something to do with the same mental condition that has some people convinced they have seen demons, or the slim man or some other type of spirit. Often these people believe in a type of thing because of their upbringing yet others do not.

For example in North America, Indians often times think they have seen a half man half spirit type of a creator they call Slim-man or other names, yet in another part of the world people have no such experience. I think it all goes back to superstition and what people are taught when their still young. Another example is black magic and the use of voodoo dolls in the Caribbean Islands, big deal other places none existent.

I also think King Solomon has a good point about the brain under trauma doing some weird things.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I've cheated death many times in my career and life in general. It's amazing that I am still alive, Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.Sun sztu

It is also important to laugh at yourself and others and don't carry a grudge,

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

This is a topic that I have researched about (on the internet) in the past. I disagree that it is a brain issue [either from dying or oxygen depravity]. Why I state that it is not in our head is because there have been numerous examples of people knowing what others were doing around or near them while they were unconscious or otherwise not privy to someone else's conversations or situations. Yet many of these people wake up knowing things that they could not have known.

I have read of people having these near death experiences being in hell or heaven or just with loved ones. The other thing that I have found is that many also state that their experience was very Christian oriented. Meaning that they were aware of a savior that most agreed [no matter what their faith] that this savior was a Christ like figure.

That said, I think it is entirely possible that many of these people are full of it. Anyone could say "I saw a light and felt loved and etcetc'

Just my humble opinion

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Why I state that it is not in our head is because there have been numerous examples of people knowing what others were doing around or near them while they were unconscious or otherwise not privy to someone else's conversations or situations. Yet many of these people wake up knowing things that they could not have known.

This anecdotal evidence has been suggested many times. WHAT PROOF that such experiences are actual and not fabricated or mistold? Site an actual case where some kind of actual affidavits are available that would be acceptable in a court of law as eyewitness accounts.

I read where people knew what was in the room while they were unconscious or what people were saying. I have never read where that was properly documented and it wasn't just some vague testimony. Without better documentation, it is no different than making bold ties to current events from vague things written by Nostradamus.

Even one of the most widely known/documented cases of a NDE does not offer solid testimony and there is controversy over whether the patient's experiences were caused during a time while she was alive.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Reynolds_case

I challenge that most other cases are totally bull crap made up based on the above or similar stories.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

otwo

There is a doctor who had so many people having these NDE that he wrote a book.This is probably the closest thing that I know of that would be documented proof.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

by Eben Alexander

There is also the Near Death Experiences Research Foundation that has many documented cases.

Food for thought. Also worth mentioning that a number of Muslim NDEs report seeing Jesus in their vision.

Just saying that it is interesting reading.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    There is a doctor who had so many people having these NDE that he wrote a book.This is probably the closest thing that I know of that would be documented proof.

Eben Alexander did not write about his patients' experiences, he claims to have had a NDE himself after going into a coma with meningitis. Have you actually read it? He doesn't give any evidence that can be corroborated by another person.

Neurophysiologist Peter Fenwick on the other hand has written about his patients' experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit