Theory of Evolution Simplified

by darth frosty 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"The extent of evolution you can see in Black people vs white people. There are many genetic differences."

EoM, I'd suggest you take some serious biology and anthropology courses before you start lecturing on genetics here. Native Americans lived farther north than white Europeans for a long time too, yet their skin is the same color as the Native Americans that lived along the Amazon equator. The differences between black, white, asian, native American, or Pacific region are very superficial. If there were really many genetic differences, they would not be able to interbreed. That's where evolution of species gets complicated. Since you mention dogs, clearly the physical and mental differences of dogs are through selective breeding. Although size will be an issue in some cases, genetically they can all interbreed. And dogs can interbreed with wolves and coyotes, but not with foxes. However, birds aren't able to interbreed like dogs (speaking of each as a collective). We've had chickens, ducks, and geese together on the farm. They look very similar, but we haven't had any gucks or dickens. Robins and sparrows don't cross. We've had sheep and goats. They don't cross. Genetically, there are mules, ligers, and other offspring that cross genetic barriers, but they're sterile.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Billy,

The theory is that there is not much variation of skin tone on the western hemisphere because it is more newly settled and there has not been enough time for natural selection to choose skin tone. Also, those that live in the extremely cold norther regions normally would have been affected by the darker skin tones, but because their diet is so high in fish oils, they were able to survive quite well with less sun, even though they were not able to absorb as much vitamin D as a lighter skinned person.

You may have known all of the above---but someone else may find it interesting.

But the suggestion was made that we don't even share a common ancestor, and that our differences are more profound than what they are. It sounds like Bell Curve bullshit to me, and pseudoscience created to make racism seem reasonable.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

it's too bad there aren't any dickens or gucks. i bet that'd taste INCREDIBLE deep fried.

oh man...lemme blow your mind. i dnno if you've ever had fried turkey, but what if you had something that was:

50% turkey

25% chicken

25% duck

then deep fried it???

deep fried turchikeyuck!

that sounds horrible.

deep fried turkuckkenkey?

it's a work in progress

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sorry---that's called a Turducken!

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

yea but SOMETHING has to be 34% and i'd rather it be 34% turkey than anything else

either way, does that bird come in deep fried?

double deep fried?

i figure, if 3/4 of my grandparents had diabetes, i might as well live it up before i get there too

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I've never had deep fried turkey. I don't really like turkey. I ate if for years because it is healthy (not the deep fried kind), and one day I looked up and said, "I don't even like this!". I can still eat it, but I'd prefer not to. It's not like fish, which I won't touch.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

you don't know what you're missing lol

i used to HATE turkey bc it never tasted half as good as fried chicken. i'm a total fried food nut even though i love playing sports. one day, a friend of mine at the time, invited me over his house for thanksgiving, except it wasn't REALLY thanksgiving cuz we were all jws...even though there was turkey and all that good stuff.

so he kept telling me about the turkey and i was all, "meh" had one dry trkey, had 'em all.

no. i was wrong.

i had tears coming out my eyes as i was shoveling fried trkey in my face. it was that good.

unfortunately, that was the one and only time i've had fried turkey and that was at least 4 years ago.

bt i'm still talking about it.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well if I ever get the chance, I'll try it. I was visiting my friend in North Carolina over Thanksgiving (not real thanksgiving, was still a dub) and her neighbor was outside heating up a huge deep fryer full of peanut oil getting ready to deep fry his turkey. I don't see that around where I live, and it's not like you can just whip up a batch. Unless people cut them up and deep fry them like chicken--I don't know if that makes a difference, but I think it might change the taste.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i've wondered that myself. if i could fry turkey slices from the deli i'd do that. or at least try it. i shold try that...

i dunno whereabout you are, but i know in brooklyn there's a place that fries 'em and you can by sandwiches or whole turkeys fried. one day....

you shold have snuck over there and stolen the trkey. it might be worth a weekend in jail or a fine hahaha

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It is so much easier to start at the begining with people who deny evolution. They have such a confused idea of what it is and what evidence exists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit