Best American Bands

by cedars 74 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Wow! I didn't know AC/DC was Australian. Well, they are an All-American brand to me, just like Fosters!

Canadian music - that would be like Gordon Lightfoot. When I want people to go home or to end a party, I just put on my Edmund Fitzgerald. No wonder Canadians consume alot of alcohol!

Skeeter

• 00DAD
  • talesin
    talesin

UC

I don't like rating bands or music at ALL. That's why I like to see everyone's favorite mentioned. My bestie and I have discussed this often (he being a pro musician) - who is the greatest guitar player?

That is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify. His choice? Chris Smither. Right - most folks would say WHO? Then there's BB King, Clapton, Hendrix, Cale, Zakk Wylde, Jeff Beck, etc. etc.

and why not lump Cdn. musicians (our BEST) with Americans? skeeter's comment illustrates my point .... (no offense, skeeter!)

Canadian music - that would be like Gordon Lightfoot. When I want people to go home or to end a party, I just put on my Edmund Fitzgerald. No wonder Canadians consume alot of alcohol!

Okay, I know Lightfoot is brilliant, but yes, listening to his music, to me, would be a good reason to drink. That's like saying everyone who lives in the south likes twangy, who-shot-my-pa, music. It's insulting.

Some of the early 'greats' were Canadian, and some of us do get a little tired of living next to the giant who takes all the credit.

The Guess Who, Neil Young, The Band (except Levon Helms), Papa Denny from the Mamas and Papas, then Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO), Rush, Jeff Healey, Bryan Adams, and on and on. Then, think of all the reknowned Cdn. comedians - John Candy, Jim Carrey, Dan Aykroyd, Phil Hartman, Tom Green, Rich Little and Lorne Michaels (producer & creator of SNL), movie stars, etc. , who are assumed to be American by many. Let's not even get started with actors and directors! hello, James Cameron and Norman Jewison - 2 of the biggest directors EVER.

Nope.

:)

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I never gave it much thought before but on the surface at least it seems that the UK has had better Rock bands than the US.

Some of my fav American bands as far as Rock goes anyway, Interpol, Queens of the Stone Age, TV On the Radio, Santana(1st three albums era), Alice Cooper, The Stooges, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Circle Jerks, Misfits(Danzig era), Doors, Hendrix, Cro-Mags, Alice In Chains (RIP Layne Staley), Nirvana.

• undercover
    undercover

For Talesin...

I can't link to YouTube or I'd find the clip... but a scene from the movie Almost Famous when Lester Bangs, the famous rock journalist is in the radio studio being interviewed. He's going through the albums on the shelf and comes to Morrison Hotel by the Doors...

Bangs:"The Doors? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet"
    DJ: "I like the Doors"
    Bangs: "Give me the Guess Who. They've got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic."

• Nambo
    Nambo

Doh, my favourite American is a Canadian!

Sorry Talesin

I wondered why nobody else had mentioned him, stiill, enough here claiming Fleetwood Mac as American.

• Aaron Eldridge
    Aaron Eldridge

there is only one for me. Iron and Wine

• elderelite
    elderelite

Damn tal i haven thought about little feet in forever!!!!

Of course we all know eddie van halen is the greatest guitarist of his generation, and really you can only fairly compare contemporaries...

• still thinking
    still thinking

I L O V E Little Feet....

• talesin
    talesin

UC - I loved that line! Unfortunately 1/2 the Guess Who is MORMON, so it was only Burton Cummings who was the drunk ... hehehe :D

Nice to see that there are other lovers of Little Feat! (nods to EE and ST)

Nambo - no problem! I just had to speak up, as Neil is recognized as a great Cdn. :))

EDIT: I agree re the Big Mac, Nambo - that's always been a debate US vs Brits? hmmmm.

btw, ee, Eddie *is* my personal favorite of my age group, but I have to stress personal favorite; it's a matter of 'beauty in the eye of the beholder', imo.

Music is art, and therefore, not quantifiable (again, just my 2).

Any old-timers recall the discussion I had along those lines with H_S re jazz? :P

xo tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit