Spanish congregations District Assembly / rides for the kids.

by jam 20 Replies latest jw friends

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

When I was studing Spanish at the University (in the US), my professor referred to the language as "el Castellano." Since then, I have referred to it as "Castellano" when I speak to my Castellano speaking family/friends.

Providing a little fun for the children at a DC. Doesn't Jehovah hate that? I know the GB does.

• jam
    jam

DaCheech, in your opinion was the food better (Spanish)

or more tasty?

• jam
    jam

OK, I found it, I knew I read it somewhere and it was here.

Posted by TMS 6/28/2006, topic "Two visits from JW,s this

past week".

Brownsville , Texas Civic Center. In front of the main building

fully operating rides with mimiature cars etc. Little hispanic

boys and girls in suits and dresses were riding these cars.

Have the GB put a stop to this. I bet you once the word got

out, that was it.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm really surprised that the convention site would allow rides for kids due to insurance concerns. I'm not surprised, though, that the Spanish speaking jws would do something like that. The few who I knew were much friendlier and more family oriented than English speaking jws.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Is the kiddie ride where the pedophiles also hang out?

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I have attended several meetings in spanish. i am bilingual but my daughter is not so i could not move to the spanish cong back when i was going. it is an entirely different world. the culture is so different and since i am completely immersed in the spanish culture most of the week as a spanish medical liason i have learned how different things are. Now i dont go to any meetings as noted before but they have a much more liberal view of things. clothing is so different and there is a more family feel. my opinion i guess that could be influenced by the fact that i speak the language but i can see them providing a bit of diversion. probably not condoned but i can see it happening...maybe.

• steve2
    steve2

Culture Makes a Huge Difference!

Despite witnesses' frequent claims that they are unitedly the same in their teachings the world over, there are significant cultural differences in the way congregations "enact" Watchtower doctrine.

For example, I heard that the Scandanavian witnesses are not strict in the shunning of disfellowshipped witnesses and that in some parts of the USA, a much more hardline approach is taken in disciplining wayward witnesses than in other perhaps more liberal parts of the States.

Imagine how the reported variation could change and increase over time, leading to major differences in the treatment of ex-witnesses.

Another source has reported that one of the main reasons the JWs have not increased in the Pacific Islands is because many of the Island cultures are fiercely family and church oriented and they would never tolerate the hardline policy on shunning family members who have left the religion. On a lighter note (I hope) I've also heard that the Watchtower has "accidentally" spawned a number of breakaway nutty religious groups in the African states of Zambia and Mozambique. Any confirmation?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Jam, I was sweating my arse off, without tasting any of it!

lol

• Hermano
    Hermano

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. In the spanish congregation, my friends and I thought the English congregations had it much better. The black brothers had flat-top/ high-top haircuts back when they were in. The cars in the parking lot were a lot newer than the cars we drove. We assumed they played the cool music at their parties. Oh, and due to the American culture being more independent-minded, we thought the elders were more restrained in asking personal questions. But you have guys have set me straight on all that. From what I've read in this forum, sounds like the same crap I went through growing up, but in English.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Shunning is not taken lightly in Scandinavian countries, quite the contrary...

However, they might be more lax on other issues, e.g. denmark allowing beards...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit